E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E91 335i M Sport Touring - New Project!

11-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
E91 335i M Sport Touring - New Project!

So, its been exactly a week since i bought the 335i M Sport Touring and thus far i am absolutely loving it. The practicality of it all is what i am enjoying the most and ive already done a few runs to the tip!! Seriously though, i suppose the best thing about the car is how understated it is. Ive already had two occasions where boy racers have pulled alongside me at the lights and smirked out of the corner of their mouths - then the lights change and funnily enough those smirks disappear! In its current guise you wouldnt know what its capable of unless you know your cars and thats something that appeals to me about both the 335i and d. That said, i dont think the car will remain understated for very long!! The car was lightly modified by its previous owner which included fully adjustable coilovers, a "mild" remap by AL Tuning to just over 360bhp, a BMC filter, anti-rollbars, replacing the run flats to go flats and de-badging. The car pulls like a train but the remap was designed more for low down torque and it does feel very effective around the twistys.

I will consider getting another remap done or seeing if AL Tuning will reconfigure another map once i have done a few of my own mods - but for the time being im pretty happy with the power.

Ive already fitted dark lines and black kidney grilles and i have had the front windows brought more in line with the rear tints - so it looks more uniform now but without looking pimp my ride!!

I picked up a brand new Forge Intercooler today (many thanks Nick!) and i also collected a pair of BMW Motorsport race seats (many thanks Matt!) - and these are both being fitted (hopefully!) by Birds on wednesday.

I am then planning a new set of 19" wheels and Conti 5P's - not sure which design yet - very tempted to go down the CSL route but feel ive done this so many times now that maybe i should consider other options - pic below is of a VMR 701 wheel in satin black - but again im nervous about black wheels and black cars as its never been a favourite mix of mine. Im trying to source this same wheel in gun metal but i may not be able to get them til the new year. If thats the case then i may well get my MV3's powder coated in gun metal to keep me going!

I then want to look at an exhaust and rear diffuser - a little contentious but im considering a quad pipe option - we shall see!! Evolve have told me that there is not a diffuser on the market that properly fits a quad tail pipe for the E90 - and i dont want it to look like a shite fit - so may have to rethink this and just opt for a single round pipe either side and a CF diffuser.

I am then thinking a BBK - either AP's or i may give the cheaper Stop Tech option a go as ive heard good things about them.

I havent had the chance to take any pics of the car yet as the weather has been crap and ive been non-stop busy and traveling overseas. But i will get some taken asap and update this thread.

Overall, i am chuffed to be back in a 335 and im so happy to be in a Touring. Its also nice to have a legitimate reason to be back on this forum with the correct badge on the bonnet!!!
Attached Images

11-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Love it mate! What colour saphire black???

What colour interior?! What year/ month is she.

I loved my old mans 535d touring he had years back and ubdertand why you like
it so much!
      11-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I wouldn't fit them but those rims do looks very nice and the quad pipe conversion is pretty nicely executed too. Definitely gun metal though and not black or it'll look wrong.

Glad to hear you're loving it - to me (and not that many others!) the sleeper look is brilliant. How many 300ish bhp cars come with the option of almost no "go faster" looking add ons? Not many!

I think black suits the M Sport E91 look well too although I like SE as well. Not so sure about the M Sport stuff on lighter cars - starts to look a bit odd and the plastic rear section sticks out too much. On a black car it's much more subtle.

Enjoy whatever you do!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Nice one Steve...

Welcome to the club

yours a manual i hope?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
My bets it's an auto. His last 335i was. He don't mind auto's at all! Do ya mate!

I think the only car I can remember he has had recently which was a man was one of the two E92 M3's he had.
      11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
As Stevie was originally after an auto 335d, I should think is also AT.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Love it mate! What colour saphire black??
Do you know what, i dont actually know which black version she is!!?? Interior is black leather with brushed alu trim - and obviously i will putting the new BMW Motorsport race seats in asap!! Will look at getting the steering wheel and gear lever/gaitor done in matching alcantara and stitching at some point maybe too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
I wouldn't fit them but those rims do looks very nice and the quad pipe conversion is pretty nicely executed too. Definitely gun metal though and not black or it'll look wrong.
Thanks fella - and think i agree about the black wheels - i am going to hold out for the gun metal i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Nice one Steve...

Welcome to the club

yours a manual i hope?
Sorry fella, mines an auto with paddles - to be honest i love the auto and i personally feel a Touring needs to be auto for the ease of it all - and i really dont subscribe to the "only manuals are true drivers cars" total bollocks!!!

Quote:
I think the only car I can remember he has had recently which was a man was one of the two E92 M3's he had.
And my last white E46 M3 and the Focus RS!! But so pleased to be back in an auto!!
      11-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Mate I can't believe I forgot the focus
and e46 m3 oops

I'll never forget doing 150mph on the way home
lol that night!!!!
      11-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Does it have a slight metallic sheen? Almost a bit sparkly?

If it has then it's sapphire black (like mine) - cool!

Keen to hear how you get on - those rims are very nice indeed. Just be careful with 19s on fitting - Andrew from DTUK had a bit of a nightmare when his black CSL rims didn't fit.

For some odd reason, pre LCI seems to have a bit more space for the rears than post LCI. Yours look pre LCI (from the rear lights) so you might have more options.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Does looks good Steve. The E91 is one of the best, if not the best, looking Estates around. I still yearn after my 335i but, luckily, it's been so long since I've driven one I can resist the urge; just.

I'm sure you'll do a good job of modding it without going overboard.

Love the seats - can't me many 'old man' load-luggers with them in .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mate I can't believe I forgot the focus
and e46 m3 oops - I'll never forget doing 150mph on the way home
lol that night!!!!
Yes, that was a fun blast home as i recall!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Does it have a slight metallic sheen? Almost a bit sparkly? If it has then it's sapphire black (like mine) - cool! Keen to hear how you get on - those rims are very nice indeed. Just be careful with 19s on fitting - Andrew from DTUK had a bit of a nightmare when his black CSL rims didn't fit.For some odd reason, pre LCI seems to have a bit more space for the rears than post LCI. Yours look pre LCI (from the rear lights) so you might have more options.
I honestly cant think what the paintwork is like - i havent had a chance to clean her yet so havent taken much notice. Will check it out tomorrow!! Yes mine is pre LCI. From a handling point of view i would rather keep the 18's on but i want 19's for aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Does looks good Steve. I'm sure you'll do a good job of modding it without going overboard. Love the seats - can't be many 'old man' load-luggers with them in .
LOL!! Thanks fella.
      11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

sweet ride.

any pics with thos performance sweets fitted??
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Nice work Steve. I agree about the touring - I much prefer my 335i touring to my previous e92 335i. A perfect blend of pace and practicality.

The best rear diffusor for quad pipes is made by 3D Design:

The only dealer in the UK is M Style:
http://www.mstyle.co.uk/acatalog/bmw...cessories.html

They are a bit on the pricey side - but 3D design kit is top drawer.

Did the previous owner have the M3 rear subframe bushes fitted when he had the rear ARBs done? They improving handling significantly on an e91.

Last edited by Yahoo; 11-01-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf555 View Post
sweet ride - any pics with thos performance sweets fitted??
Hopefully having them fitted on Weds - if they manage to get them fitted i will certainly take some pics of all the mods done so far before i head off to the Alps on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Nice work Steve. I agree about the touring - I much prefer my 335i touring to my previous e92 335i. A perfect blend of pace and practicality.The best rear diffusor for quad pipes is made by 3D Design - The only dealer in the UK is M Style - They are a bit on the pricey side - but 3D design kit is top drawer.Did the previous owner have the M3 rear subframe bushes fitted when he had the rear ARBs done? They improving handling significantly on an e91.
Hey fella - hope all is well with you. Thanks for heads up about the 3D diffuser - im amazed i havent heard of that one, esp as i deal with Mstyle quite a lot - so will quiz Paul about that tomorrow. Evolve seemed to think there wasnt a diffuser available that adequately fitted a quad exhaust from there own experience??
As for the M3 bushes - unfortunately no he didnt do them for some reason, which is a shame as i am aware how much of an improvement these make - and im assuming its going to be quite a labour intensive job to do them??
      11-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Steve,

The above quads look much better than the abortion I had fitted to my D. Horrible that was!!

I can vouch for Imran at Evolve trying tooth and nail to find me a proper diffuser. I actually still have a duke dynamics one in my garage (Evolve never charged me) which is absolutely hideous. Its miles off fitting and it is heavy and soooo badly made!!!

Anyhow, not Evolves fault. I'd just be careful if I was you mate!!

Enjoy. Hope to finally see you at a meet someday.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just checked out the 3D kit - bloody hell its not cheap!!!
      11-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I'd just be careful if I was you mate!! Enjoy. Hope to finally see you at a meet someday.Matt
Hi Matt - thanks for that fella - yeh, Imran told me they had a nightmare trying to get something to fit but never found anything - so got the impression there was nothing available at all anywhere - so just happy to see there are some options - albeit very expensive ones!! May well have to stick with the twin round pipes instead!!
      11-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
Hi Matt - thanks for that fella - yeh, Imran told me they had a nightmare trying to get something to fit but never found anything - so got the impression there was nothing available at all anywhere - so just happy to see there are some options - albeit very expensive ones!! May well have to stick with the twin round pipes instead!!
Keeps it understated too, yet if you want sound, look to Tonys car for inspiration!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

I then want to look at an exhaust and rear diffuser - a little contentious but im considering a quad pipe option - we shall see!! Evolve have told me that there is not a diffuser on the market that properly fits a quad tail pipe for the E90 - and i dont want it to look like a shite fit - so may have to rethink this and just opt for a single round pipe either side and a CF diffuser.

I am then thinking a BBK - either AP's or i may give the cheaper Stop Tech option a go as ive heard good things about them.

Nice car Steve

Think you'd be better off going for a replacement exhaust that keeps the tailpipe arrangement the same as OEM. It is VERY hard to find a quad diffuser that integrates well. Strangely, it is much easier to do the quad conversion with the regular SE bumper (that doesn't have the diffuser insert) as you can easily do a neat cut in the OEM plastic to accommodate the quad pipes.

I personally would suggest the Bastuck exhaust - it's a great fit, great quality, and bucket loads lighter than the ultra-heavy Eisenmann. Sounds lovely as well, although getting the full effect requires other modifications to the exhaust system.

Glad you got the seats off Matt - lucky you as you've saved enough to go splash out on a set of APs. Please don't get the Stoptechs - I've heard, and seen first hand, too many horror stories of warped discs, uneven wear, and poor performance. I know they're a bit cheaper, but you'll save long-term with the APs.

Oh, and you mentioned about getting the gearknob and handbrake retrimmed to match. You don't need to - just go buy the BMW Performance auto shifter with alcantara boot, and also the BMW Performance handbrake and gaiter. Both match the seats 100% with the same colour alcantara and also silver stitching. The Performance Wheel is also a perfect match (with or without the display)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
As for the M3 bushes - unfortunately no he didnt do them for some reason, which is a shame as i am aware how much of an improvement these make - and im assuming its going to be quite a labour intensive job to do them??
Major work to get these done - rear subframe has to come out, which means the differential has to be removed etc. Five hours or so...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #21
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Major work to get these done - rear subframe has to come out, which means the differential has to be removed etc. Five hours or so...
Agreed - M3 bush replacement is only really viable when replacing rear ARB or installing an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
So, its been exactly a week since i bought the 335i M Sport Touring and thus far i am absolutely loving it.
Very nice car Steve! And I can very much understand the appeal of practicality (which is why I also got the sedan and not the coupé) and understatement.
Quote:
That said, i dont think the car will remain understated for very long!!
Why am I not surprised?
Quote:
The car was lightly modified by its previous owner which included fully adjustable coilovers, a "mild" remap by AL Tuning to just over 360bhp, a BMC filter, anti-rollbars, replacing the run flats to go flats and de-badging. The car pulls like a train but the remap was designed more for low down torque and it does feel very effective around the twistys.

I will consider getting another remap done or seeing if AL Tuning will reconfigure another map once i have done a few of my own mods - but for the time being im pretty happy with the power.
More power is always good.

If you're looking for an alternative - and much more powerful - remap, you may want to check out GIAC. I'm running their stage 2 race flash right now (around 1.2bar, currently 433hp/677Nm without meth injection) and am very happy with it. Also, they've just released their mapswitching device with which you can toggle between a stock-like map, a stage 2 pump map (95 octane) and a stage 2 race map (98 or higher plus meth). It works very well - I have it since last Friday actually. GIAC is distributed in the UK by Regal Autosport in Southampton and I can recommend them warmly, excellent service and very nice people.

Quote:
Think you'd be better off going for a replacement exhaust that keeps the tailpipe arrangement the same as OEM. It is VERY hard to find a quad diffuser that integrates well. Strangely, it is much easier to do the quad conversion with the regular SE bumper (that doesn't have the diffuser insert) as you can easily do a neat cut in the OEM plastic to accommodate the quad pipes.
I second that - it's what I've done with my car. Photos in the signature (but maybe you remember it anyway from last year...).
Quote:
I personally would suggest the Bastuck exhaust - it's a great fit, great quality, and bucket loads lighter than the ultra-heavy Eisenmann. Sounds lovely as well, although getting the full effect requires other modifications to the exhaust system.
Haha and here we go... No seriously, the Bastuck is great. Sound will be a bit less with the E90/E91 than with the E92 as the sedan and touring have an additional resonator that the coupé and convertible is lacking. For even better sound, as suggested by Tone, get catless downpipes and replace the secondary cats...you'll love it!

Alpina_B3_Lux