Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel issue...not good

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' AW e90 335i M-Sport

Wheel issue...not good

Just purchased a 2011 CPO E90 335 M sport that's loaded from BMW Northwest in Tacoma. I dropped it off at the detail shop here today who does an amazing job.

He called me about an hour in and said you need to come check this out. He used a normal wheel cleaner (sonax) to get grime off because the two wheels on the right side had been somewhat sticky. Paint started coming off the wheel and exposed road rash that was pretty significant with a bondo job that had recently been done as well. The car had 12k miles on it and it's flawless and I was assured everything was fine and that there were no issues. This to me, is an issue and a cover up. I emailed the sales manager to discuss this what's going on.

Any recommendations? I will post pictures when I get home. It's a bummer I find this out on my birthday (today) too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
blpthree
Rep
Drives: 335i

Weak. Happy birthday at least?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
thenewrick
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Black Sapphire

If they're good people they'll just give you a set of the wheels. If they tell you you're screwed look at it as an opportunity to get some high quality aftermarket wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
If they're good people they'll just give you a set of the wheels. If they tell you you're screwed look at it as an opportunity to get some high quality aftermarket wheels/tires.
^best you can do.
      07-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Ya not much you can do, They may not be the crooks it may have been traded in like that without dealer knowing. Hopefully they help you out.
      07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Lol you're buying a USED car, not everything will be 100%. People go ape shit over the stupidest things.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

So you just purchased it? How recently?
Did you take delivery of the vehicle with grimey wheels?
If not, did you not notice the wheels on the lot. Or, what were you doing to get them to the point of being covered in grime?

If it is a coverup as you suspect, what would be their motivation in calling you and showing it to you while on their property and while you were using them for service?

The point in my questions is not to argue to but to help figure out where the fault truly lies. I suspect this is a dealership concern not the detail people's problem. If that's the case this is normal wear and tear and not covered by CPO
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
I can see that being overlooked at the dealership, and it's up to them how best to help you. When you buy the car used, you buy "as is," not so? I've seen people buy CPO's that were in accidents, which were never exposed at the time of sale.

If it's one wheel, you should be able to get a replacement easily. Otherwise, let the mod bug bite
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains
Lol you're buying a USED car, not everything will be 100%. People go ape shit over the stupidest things.
First off, I'm not going ape shit? I'm not mad at all, just a little bummed out.

The salesman called me and he's forwarding my email and pictures to the general salesman. He said were going to take care of things and clear it up within the next few days to make things right. Just got off the phone with him. I understand it's a used car...lol that's not my problem. The wheel obviously is though and I just was concerned. You'd think they'd replace the wheel if it was damaged that terribly. I don't think they are crooks at all nor do I think negatively about them. This just concerned me. It's been a few weeks since I bought it.

The car was perfect when I picked it up. I check everything that I can. The wheels were sparkling clean and flawless. The paint had not obviously cured onto the wheel yet and it was a hack job that had been done quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
u have any pics? It's not unlike many on this forum to accuse without seeing an actual photo.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35
u have any pics? It's not unlike many on this forum to accuse without seeing an actual photo.
I am on my phone headed to the coast! I'll post them when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Issue resolved already! The sales manager contacted me and they said to get the wheels repaired professionally and they would reimburse me for all costs. I've been out of town so when I get home I'll post those photos up for you to see! Great customer service from BMW Northwest! They kept a customer, that's for sure. I'll be going back to them for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

i'm sorry OP, how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains View Post
that's the mindset of mediocrity. even if it's a used car, why should the OP settle for unexpected blemishes?
      07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
Issue resolved already! The sales manager contacted me and they said to get the wheels repaired professionally and they would reimburse me for all costs. I've been out of town so when I get home I'll post those photos up for you to see! Great customer service from BMW Northwest! They kept a customer, that's for sure. I'll be going back to them for my next car.
Awesome! Glad to hear it worked out for you

See it's not always about finding someone or some place that's never made a mistake but it's important to know HOW they work to correct a mistake if it's made.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentOSU View Post
are these wheels that require machining? if so you'll have machine marks around the circumference of the wheels no matter how "professional". glad they're stepping up for you though.
      07-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #16
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

I had this happen when I got my E91 M-sport that I got with 9k on it. Wheels looked perfect when I picked up the car, after a month or so it was obvious that someone did a pretty cheap cover up. Scratches on a few of the doors appeared out of nowhere too. Dealerships do a fair amount of work to cheaply hide stuff like this, you'd think it would be much better just to sort stuff correctly the first time. They're banking on 70% of the people to not complain.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
boyce89976
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0 M Sport

It is common for dealers to fix curb rash, but only up to a certain point... usually, they'll have a wheel shop grind the rash down smooth and repaint the rim. If it's bad enough to need bondo to build up the edge, it's probably too rashed to fix.

My 2011 had rash repaired and the work looks good except for the paint job. Wheel is straight and true, so not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #18
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here they are. These wheels looks perfect on the car when I picked it up, and now, they look like this (two of them). The front right is the worst. I am glad my dealership is going up and beyond to fix the issue though! Good customer service.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

That is typical rash on a typical driver's car that parks in a city. You are extremely lucky that the dealer is playing ball on this as it looks relatively minor in relation to your description of "bondo" being used on the wheels. You made it seem like the wheels were gouged to hell and back to the point that it could be a structural issue. If you're happy and the dealer is happy, all is well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #20
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Don't know if that response was called for.

Sorry to the OP - glad it got sorted for you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #21
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja
That is typical rash on a typical driver's car that parks in a city. You are extremely lucky that the dealer is playing ball on this as it looks relatively minor in relation to your description of "bondo" being used on the wheels. You made it seem like the wheels were gouged to hell and back to the point that it could be a structural issue. If you're happy and the dealer is happy, all is well.
Not just talking about road rash..the whole wheel has essentially no clear coat and has a terrible texture. The the bondo goes pretty deep and you can see it in person. All of the dried liquid that appears to be dripping is paint after just water and soap. This is a hack job, period. If you're going to downplay something and act like this is normal, don't comment.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #22
TrentOSU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW
Quote:
Don't know if that response was called for.

Sorry to the OP - glad it got sorted for you
I agree, it wasn't called for.

Thanks! I'm getting the wheels refinished tomorrow.
Appreciate 0