E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 DP FIX Review - product of STI959

11-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

N55 DP FIX Review - product of STI959

So as you guys know, STI959 did not want to sell me his dp fix because i wanted to wait for BMS to come out with theirs. That kind of rubbed him the wrong way so i was left in the cold trying to find something myself or take the DP off.

Well i took it upon myself to contact another member who was willing to help me secure one of these under cover. It creates a lot of back and forth with coordination of payments etc. So it was a hell of a deal just to get one.

Now i finally got it and installed it the very same day as I couldn't wait for this thing to work. So it took me a bout 30min. to install as i wanted to make sure i didn't miss anything. Its easy, per my advice he did incorporate the OEM clip so it is truly a plug and play.

The box isn't that great in terms of quality, but i'm not really expecting top notch quality as he is not even a vendor here. There are two LEDs in there that light up as there are any current flowing - like when you unlock a door or start the car. One LED is for the heater element on the O2 sensor, and i forget what the other one was for. But one stays on, and the other one blinks.

So i re-set all my tuner codes and turned off CAN auto clear so that all codes come through if any during my drive cycles. The first day was good, no codes at all. I took it for a 20 min. drive to work keeping with all the rules of setting readiness. Then 20 min. back and we were still good. The third day it gave me a code which at this time i think it was ready to set readiness or fail.

It kept getting codes as stated bellow...

3106 - Catalytic converter: Efficiency below limit (The diagnostic function monitors the ability of the catalytic converter to store oxygen)

2BCB - Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter Exhaust gas after cat. conv. too lean (The diagnostic function monitors the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter to determine whether it displays a consistent deviation.)

2D13 - Oxygen sensor heating after catalytic converter, function: Internal resistance too high (The diagnostic function monitors the difference between the expected and the actual internal resistance in the heater for the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter)

Anyway, he was pretty good about it to send me a new one for free to test. Once I got that one, it was even worse... nothing worked. Not even the lights in the box came on so i thought it may just be his initial one that didn't have the fancy LEDs in.

Now the dude got banned from these forums because he tried to advertise and sell his product without being a vendor, and hopefully I wont get banned for reviewing it. Hopefully not, because i'm telling you that it does not work. I think he pulled it off of Ebay as well because I can't imagine the headache of having to refund everybody's money.

So I sent both units back to him and got a full refund. The search is still on for a DP Fix that will work for us. I commend the dude for trying and i hope somebody out there is working on it as well. I know BMS has stopped trying because they dont like the liability aspect of this product at all. I'm afraid we are in the dark.

If STI959 wants to work with me now then i'm still willing to test it for him and hopefully he'll get a vendor agreement signed if he is serious about making some money on here!

Sorry for the bad news guys!
Slops.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
jmkworld
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopp View Post
So as you guys know, STI959 did not want to sell me his dp fix because i wanted to wait for BMS to come out with theirs. That kind of rubbed him the wrong way so i was left in the cold trying to find something myself or take the DP off.

Well i took it upon myself to contact another member who was willing to help me secure one of these under cover. It creates a lot of back and forth with coordination of payments etc. So it was a hell of a deal just to get one.

Now i finally got it and installed it the very same day as I couldn't wait for this thing to work. So it took me a bout 30min. to install as i wanted to make sure i didn't miss anything. Its easy, per my advice he did incorporate the OEM clip so it is truly a plug and play.

The box isn't that great in terms of quality, but i'm not really expecting top notch quality as he is not even a vendor here. There are two LEDs in there that light up as there are any current flowing - like when you unlock a door or start the car. One LED is for the heater element on the O2 sensor, and i forget what the other one was for. But one stays on, and the other one blinks.

So i re-set all my tuner codes and turned off CAN auto clear so that all codes come through if any during my drive cycles. The first day was good, no codes at all. I took it for a 20 min. drive to work keeping with all the rules of setting readiness. Then 20 min. back and we were still good. The third day it gave me a code which at this time i think it was ready to set readiness or fail.

It kept getting codes as stated bellow...

3106 - Catalytic converter: Efficiency below limit (The diagnostic function monitors the ability of the catalytic converter to store oxygen)

2BCB - Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter Exhaust gas after cat. conv. too lean (The diagnostic function monitors the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter to determine whether it displays a consistent deviation.)

2D13 - Oxygen sensor heating after catalytic converter, function: Internal resistance too high (The diagnostic function monitors the difference between the expected and the actual internal resistance in the heater for the oxygen sensor behind the catalytic converter)

Anyway, he was pretty good about it to send me a new one for free to test. Once I got that one, it was even worse... nothing worked. Not even the lights in the box came on so i thought it may just be his initial one that didn't have the fancy LEDs in.

Now the dude got banned from these forums because he tried to advertise and sell his product without being a vendor, and hopefully I wont get banned for reviewing it. Hopefully not, because i'm telling you that it does not work. I think he pulled it off of Ebay as well because I can't imagine the headache of having to refund everybody's money.

So I sent both units back to him and got a full refund. The search is still on for a DP Fix that will work for us. I commend the dude for trying and i hope somebody out there is working on it as well. I know BMS has stopped trying because they dont like the liability aspect of this product at all. I'm afraid we are in the dark.

If STI959 wants to work with me now then i'm still willing to test it for him and hopefully he'll get a vendor agreement signed if he is serious about making some money on here!

Sorry for the bad news guys!
Slops.
Yeah I feel your pain. I was reluctant to put on my downpipe due to this issue and inspection every year. I was a beta tester for BMS and they quickly recalled their product. I was leary of him. What i suggest the N55 owners do is ask around your local community and find a shop that is willing to give ya stickers I found a local guy who only charges about $50 more and will let me pass
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

As much as I would love the additional power it brings, installing DPs on my car sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Throwing codes annoys the hell out of me, and, more importantly, I dislike cheating or lying, or asking a smog inspector to cheat or lie for me.
Reinstalling the CCs for inspections is an option, of course, but not one for me. I would love to do my own work on my car, but I simply don't have the time.
      11-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

I knew that guy was a liar when I read the convo you guys had in one of the threads in the N55 section.
      11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

I don't understand why the N55 has the hardest time getting a DP Fix. Isn't there a market for it? Seems like BMS could capitalize on this with little work since they've done half the battle getting the N54 to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
I don't understand why the N55 has the hardest time getting a DP Fix. Isn't there a market for it? Seems like BMS could capitalize on this with little work since they've done half the battle getting the N54 to work.
The DPFIX concept isn't working on the N55 and BMS has no interest in making an o2 simulator. So they've decided not to offer anything for it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

To all of you worried about smog in California - if you bought the car from a dealership you don't have to get it smogged until it is 6 model years older than the current year.
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
oldirtysturdy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The DPFIX concept isn't working on the N55 and BMS has no interest in making an o2 simulator. So they've decided not to offer anything for it.

Mike
so what you are essentially saying is, BMS doesn't really give a fuck about making a DP fix for the N55...AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldirtysturdy View Post
so what you are essentially saying is, BMS doesn't really give a fuck about making a DP fix for the N55...AWESOME
Or it does not make business sense for them to continue development of it.

They are a business after all, not a charity.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle
To all of you worried about smog in California - if you bought the car from a dealership you don't have to get it smogged until it is 6 model years older than the current year.
I thought it was 4 years, but I just checked and your right it's 6. I can keep my catless AR DP till 2017

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
DanTheMan23
Jack of all trades master of none..
Poland
Rep
Drives: 11' 335xi

Why not just get a jb4 and call it a day? I installed my jb4 last week and got around to doing the downpipe today. Runs great and no codes..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
If you guys are still interested in a DP that won't throw codes, check out Wagner's N55 race catted DP. It is designed for flow that should be close to catless gains. Check it out! http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-135...gine_p_64.html
No smell, no codes, about the same gains as a catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If you guys are still interested in a DP that won't throw codes, check out Wagner's N55 race catted DP. It is designed for flow that should be close to catless gains. Check it out! http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-135...gine_p_64.html
I would have to see some proof it is similar to catless....I have always wondered why the OEM doesnt install a higher flow cat if they can get better efficiency. Unless it is just a cost discussion.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

and how long does it last ... there were issues i believe with other high flow cats that dont last too long until you see the light anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
and how long does it last ... there were issues i believe with other high flow cats that dont last too long until you see the light anyway
This. Paying more for a catted DP makes no sense if in a year you will be getting the same codes as catless. Might as well go catless then.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turo View Post
This. Paying more for a catted DP makes no sense if in a year you will be getting the same codes as catless. Might as well go catless then.
He guarantees the cells within the DP to last for 2 years. "We have customers now running almost 20000km on it. We offer a 2 year warranty."
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
cheeeezzz
United_States
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 e90 335 m-sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This sounds interesting, but what does "should be close to catless gains" mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeezzz View Post
This sounds interesting, but what does "should be close to catless gains" mean?
What Wagner has told me is that due to his design there isn't much difference in the gains between the catless DPs and their race-catted setup.

From what I understand the stock has a pair of cells in series, which makes it harder to flow. With his setup it is a long set of cells which are less restrictive and are of a different rating than the stock cells which means the pores are bigger in Wagner's DP over the stock one. (I believe it was a ratio of 2:1 for number of cells stock:wagner's n55 DP)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
On the N54 we have seen lights come up on all catted pipes eventually. One issue was the BMW tightened o2 tolerances in their ECU code and the cats eventually don't function like new so they trip the light.

Would be great if this was the case, but its just hard to believe that a high flo catted pipe doesn't ever throw a light and offers the same gains as a catless version. Would be great it if it was the case though....

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #20
JuanDirtyJuanSeries
Registered
Rep
Drives: Wish it was white...

Has anyone tried doing the "non fouler" mod?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

this thread makes me sad
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
this thread makes me sad
There might be some hope... I was told by one of my bimmer friends that this has worked for a friend of his with a n55...

its called "Mini Cat O2 Sensor CEL FIX"
www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html

the price is decent under 50 bucks...
Appreciate 0