E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Alignment Results - does this look right?

05-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

E90 Alignment Results - does this look right?

One day, I hope to have a car that gets all green boxes when I have it aligned. Yesterday, however, was not that day.

I've just replaced installed the BMW Performance Suspension and replaced all the mounting parts when I did it. I haven't replaced any of my control arms or tie rods. The car has 74k miles.

Firestone says my front camber is maxed out, and that the rear toe is maxed out.

I've thought about installing M3 front control arms but I've never had a car with adjustable camber plates. This car is my daily. I just got a new set of tires and I'm hoping to get a lot of life out them.

Just looking for some thoughts. I considered taking it to a BMW Indie shop but Firestone is literally walking distance from my house.

Please check out the attached alignment sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scan.pdf (715.8 KB, 136 views)
      05-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

The car drives nicely. I'd still like to hear any opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
One day, I hope to have a car that gets all green boxes when I have it aligned.
Don't ever wish that; what a boring existince.

Those results are indeed upsetting. Let's start with the rear: dial out most of that negative camber and install toe arms with a higher range of adjustment (I'm really happy with the Manzo arms I installed last year and they're cheap).

For the front, pull the pins and try again.

Also, they should at least be able to match all figures from left to right, axle to axle. If they are unwilling, go somewhere else.

All very basic questions/answers; search for more info.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      05-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

BMW spend millions developing a car then someone comes along and thinks they know best?? if its an all out track then yea i can see the need for change, if its a road car the BMW settings are the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

K...so after installing BMW parts, you now require non-BMW parts to achieve "all green boxes." The irony is strong with this one.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
One day, I hope to have a car that gets all green boxes when I have it aligned. Yesterday, however, was not that day.

I've just replaced installed the BMW Performance Suspension and replaced all the mounting parts when I did it. I haven't replaced any of my control arms or tie rods. The car has 74k miles.

Firestone says my front camber is maxed out, and that the rear toe is maxed out.

I've thought about installing M3 front control arms but I've never had a car with adjustable camber plates. This car is my daily. I just got a new set of tires and I'm hoping to get a lot of life out them.

Just looking for some thoughts. I considered taking it to a BMW Indie shop but Firestone is literally walking distance from my house.

Please check out the attached alignment sheet.
The alignment sheet shows that they don't know what they are doing or that they are trying to upsell you on new suspension components...

Starting with the rear, Your toe adjustment is maxed out because the camber is set too high. If they bring the driver side rear camber down from -2.8 to -2.0 then the toe will come into spec at around .15*. You should not need any new arms...

Front camber is not adjustable unless you knocked the alignment pins out. Maybe the BMWP top hats don't have alignment pins? I cant remember... Jack the car up, loosen the 3 top strut nuts, and pry the strut tower on the driver side toward the motor (more negative camber). That should get you to .9* of camber and therefore it would be even with the front passenger side. Then get the car realigned. ~-.9* camber is ok on both sides, but ask them to bring the front toe down to .05* or so to reduce wear. Make sure rear toe ends up pretty close to .10-.15* on each side...

Last edited by bbnks2; 05-29-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia502.50