E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Race Oil for everyday driving?

04-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #23
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

The Acura forums are that way. ------------------------->
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

AEM, JDM, and HKS stickers on each door.

I would go amsoil or mobil 1.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #25
Scrubber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe (former)

Buy him the Royal Purple, rip off the label, and claim it came from a "source" that you cannot reveal. The mystique alone will add horsepower :-)

BTW, is this an Integra GS, GS-R, or Type R?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

High revs all the time, Castrol. (Motorcycles use it)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #27
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I had a GSR for nearly 14 years. street driven, track driven, drag raced, 9500 rpm shifts, you name it. It had 255k miles on it when I sold it, and was still running great. I never once put any kind of "race" oil in it.

honda recommends 5W-30 oil for that motor, and I used regular oil until about 10k miles, then switched to syntheic (also 5W-30), and later, when I was driving a lot for work (mileage expense ftw!) I just started using the synthetic blend oils because they were cheaper and good for 5000 mile changes. There is no reason to use any race oils. If the motor has high miles and burns a bit of oil, mix some 10w-30 in with your oil changes (50/50 ratio max).

The biggest factor is going to be changing the oil often. hopefully, the previous owner(s) were good about that. When I removed the valve cover on my motor during the 200,000 mile service, the cylinder head looked CLEAN. no gunk, no brown color, nada.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #28
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

street engine should stick with street oil, mobile 1 is a good choice, race oil have different compounds and meant to be use for certain conditions, ie race, high rev and high heat, I doubted you run your street car at that conditions at all time?

why waste the money on race oil, rice it out on something else maybe
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
How is motul x-lite for street use. Im against using race oil in his car but he wants something that says race on it. Lol.
If he is going to be an idiot about it, just let him learn the hard way when his car breaks down and/or he gets pulled over for street racing.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
alright guys. he screwed up but can i get some answers here? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Sorry my bad, i read that wrong. For daily i would recommend using regular ones like mobil 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
If you are looking at something like red line synthetic then it is fine and in most cases better, just more expensive.

I have not experienced it myself, but 'they' say that introducing synthetic oil into a worn engine that is used to dino. oil can cause oil leaks.

If it was my car I would probably step up to Mobil One and leave it at that.
Why would anyone EVER get away from manufacturers recommended oil unless you are racing? It make zero sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber View Post
Royal Purple. Used it in my 06 Civic Si and it made a notable difference in engine smoothness.
Dude, I hate to be this way but that is virtually impossible. Ask the experts. If you know anything about engines nobody can tell the difference. This was brought up a couple of weeks ago. If YOU feel it and it makes YOU feel better then thats great.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

placebo is a powerful drug
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
zachar3
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

He probably will be driving in high rpms and high heat Is an issue with his car. I guess a more clear question is will it be bad to use race oil? Im not paying for it so the cost of a race oil is not my concern. Are there bad aspects to it? What about a super high performance street oil like motul xlite? Anybody have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #33
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Why would anyone EVER get away from manufacturers recommended oil unless you are racing? It make zero sense to me.
we are talking about older cars here, oil technology has change quite a bit in the last 20 years or so, an older car can benefit from newer products that did not exist for the manufacturer to recommend

even with a switch to synthetic I would use the weight recommended by the manufacturer, or as close as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #34
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
My brothers friend, a 16 year old, has a '95 integra and is going for the fast and the furious theme and asked me to help him arrange his mods.
Quote:
but he wants something that says race on it.
Quote:
I dont think this kid is too worried about something happening to the car because of the price he paid for it. This is his first car and hes just using it to learn how to drive stick.
If you care about his life and civilization around you two, make sure he doesn't drive. Forget the damn race oil. WTF...

Quote:
Also what are some practical mods that he can do to gain some power? We are gonna have the cats and muffler deleted and he's putting a cai in. I know there's not much to be gained but any suggestions?
Assuming he has at least GS-R to play with(those B18s are great little motors, pushing 300whp+ stock internals), it really depends on how he wants to play. No offense, but judging by his mentality, just slap on some 4-2-1, sri, catback exhaust, NGK plugs/wires and tell him he gained 40whp. Maybe get him a Walboro fuel pump and tell him only racers use it. That'll make him feel furious. And please, don't do test-pipe or cat-delete, not only it sounds like shit and gains no power, all that shit comes out of his exhaust will end up in his own lungs or someone else's. Muffler delete is just as stupid, shaving couple pounds off for retarded noise. I hope he gets a damn ticket. If he wants to be serious, figure out whether he wants to go F/I or N/A. If N/A, add cams and hondata tune to the list and that is a good start. If going F/I, work on compression first.

On a serious side note, just get him a dry 75shot, tell him that's what fast and the furious is all about, take him to an abandoned road, let him spray it all the way to redline throughout the gears. When he blows his engine, that's when you will get a big trophy from the state you are living in..

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0