E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke Issues 335!

06-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

Smoke Issues 335!

Hello there!

A bit history for those of you that are going to make a comment based on the Search for my particular problem. I've already Google, checked and asked just about everyone about this issue. There is a couple of similar issues, but none with updates or any real solution to the problem.

With that said, I've installed a Vanguard exhaust last Friday and began to see smoke discharge coming from the exhaust. The color is light grey/ white smoke and some say that its light blue. The problem begins to happen as I am reaching low RPMs or coming to a complete stop only. The car has 52K.

This are some of the ideas that were given to me by other e90 guys and girls:

1. Am I in the right JB4 Map?
2. It could be the seals on the Turbo. (I hope not )
3. Bearing on the motor. ????Not sure what he meant by this....
4. To allow a few day so that the coating or any pol product to burn off from the exhaust. (I hope this is the case, but it doesn't seems to go away)
5. This is a very common issue when using cat-less DPs and Exhaust.
6. My air mixture is making the car run rich.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

My next option is to take the car to the dealership to see what other options or solutions will fix my problem. Also I am not under warranty any longer since its a 2007.

This is what I've installed on the car:
AA DPs
AFE Dual Cone Intake
JB4
Devils Own Meth Kit
Synapse BOV
ER FMIC
ER CP
BMS OCC
Vanguard Complete Exhaust System (It was Brand New at the time of Installation)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Any input!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Alot of full exhaust catless N54's do this.. My car does it lightly at times when coming to a stop aswell, dont have clouds... not sure how bad your situation is.

Most people blame it on the turbo seals and leaking oil.. I think to a extent all N54's are going to do it. But if you have alot of smoke then thats an issue.
      06-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Alot of full exhaust catless N54's do this.. My car does it lightly at times when coming to a stop aswell, dont have clouds... not sure how bad your situation is.

Most people blame it on the turbo seals and leaking oil.. I think to a extent all N54's are going to do it. But if you have alot of smoke then thats an issue.
Yeah, its not a lot, but its certainly noticeable for sure. Its more than I want to see. This also reassures me that maybe its just the set up that I have and if I wanted stop; I will have to discontinued the use of the DPs at the very least and keep the Vanguard exhaust. Thanks for your comment!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

My friend had DP's with the stock catback.. Once he removed his secondary cats, he started seeing alot more white smoke..
      06-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
My friend had DP's with the stock catback.. Once he removed his secondary cats, he started seeing alot more white smoke..
That's exactly my situation! Do you know if he ever corrected the problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Im putting back my resenator this week, ill see if that stops the smoking, cause its deff embarrasing, had a guy on a truck at abred lite stop tell me "Yo i think somethings wrong with ur csr bro" loll
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
Im putting back my resenator this week, ill see if that stops the smoking, cause its deff embarrasing, had a guy on a truck at abred lite stop tell me "Yo i think somethings wrong with ur csr bro" loll
Oh ok, well keep me updated cause its for sure embarrassing. What is CSR? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bimmer
Quote:
Oh ok, well keep me updated cause its for sure embarrassing. What is CSR? Thanks!
lol car* , typo. typing from my phone. But yes i will report back..
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
It's from being completely catless. Because you're not only removed your catalytic converters in the DPs, but you've also removed the secondary cats in the CBE.

Just my $.02, keep your DPs + toss the Vanguard and go for the BMW PE or an axle-back exhaust (it'll give you the sound while keeping in the OEM mid-pipe filtering systems). Your car so it's your call in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
lol car* , typo. typing from my phone. But yes i will report back..
LOL, Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
It's from being completely catless. Because you're not only removed your catalytic converters in the DPs, but you've also removed the secondary cats in the CBE.

Just my $.02, keep your DPs + toss the Vanguard and go for the BMW PE or an axle-back exhaust (it'll give you the sound while keeping in the OEM mid-pipe filtering systems). Your car so it's your call in the end.
It makes sense because before installing the Vanguard, I did not have the problem. I will most likely do as you say cause, I certainly do not want to drive like this anymore. Thanks for the input!

Man I just checked the BMW Performance Exhaust and its actually the same price as the Vanguard. I wish I could of known that!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Sucks about your smoke issue I have the same problem. I was just about to buy the bms occ unit in the hopes of trying to maybe resolve my issue but I see that u already have it and still smokes... there goes that. I don't want to drive the car anymore because of this issue.

I'm sure its the turbo seal for bank 1, I'm reverting my car back to stock and going to see the dealer about WG rattle issue. I think I hear it hopefully under the grace of BMW NA I can get the turbos redone under the class action warranty.

08 AW 6MT | MHD | Wavetrac LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | VRSF DP'S | VRSF 7" IC | DD Hood / Diffuser| Mtech Front / Rear| BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ | Hexon RR550 | TFT Inlets
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I doubt its from being catless, not at idle and decel anyway. My other car is turbo, catless, runs 1-2 points richer afr's and I pre mix 2 cycle oil with the gas and it still doesn't smoke like my 335. I'll be asking the dealer as well, mine is very minor but I have stock dp's and exhaust.
      07-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
STONEY_M5
MAAD HEAD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M 2013 M5

Garage List
13 F10 M5  [0.00]
2010 X5M  [0.00]
07 335i  [9.26]
Quote:
resonators dnt stop smoke, u should've asked him what he think it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
Sucks about your smoke issue I have the same problem. I was just about to buy the bms occ unit in the hopes of trying to maybe resolve my issue but I see that u already have it and still smokes... there goes that. I don't want to drive the car anymore because of this issue.

I'm sure its the turbo seal for bank 1, I'm reverting my car back to stock and going to see the dealer about WG rattle issue. I think I hear it hopefully under the grace of BMW NA I can get the turbos redone under the class action warranty.
try the bms still its a good product...
      07-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX TT3 View Post
resonators dnt stop smoke, u should've asked him what he think it is...

try the bms still its a good product...
Yeah i know it wont probably stop it, but i hope it will minimize it a bit and also want to put the resenator back in to stop all these pops and gurgles i get now that i'm completely catless, But i will say though before i cut my 2ndary cats i wasnt smoking much if at all...I'm in a process of changing all my fluids and also the transfer case positioning motor so i cant really focus at the smoke at the moment untill all that is done, when problems hit me, they all hit me all at once, always! argh!!!

+1 on the BMS OCC, great product and works as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #16
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

A catless car should not smoke.

Replace the turbos and the smoke will disappear
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:

I feel you man, I am on the same boat, I also do not want to drive mines anymore. I also checked the BMS OCC to see if it was maybe overflowing since I did not check it for long time, but it barely have any oil on it, so I take it that's good right!

I keep hearing that its the turbos. If that's the case, I will probably go with the Vishnu's Single Turbo set up since I've been leaning towards that lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
I doubt its from being catless, not at idle and decel anyway. My other car is turbo, catless, runs 1-2 points richer afr's and I pre mix 2 cycle oil with the gas and it still doesn't smoke like my 335. I'll be asking the dealer as well, mine is very minor but I have stock dp's and exhaust.
My friend also had almost the same set up as mines and his did not smoke at all. He was the one that had told me to run the car for about a week because of the coating on the exhaust will take some time to burn off, then it should go away, but thats not the case so far. I still blowing about the same of smoke as I did before.

Quote:
Yeah i know it wont probably stop it, but i hope it will minimize it a bit and also want to put the resenator back in to stop all these pops and gurgles i get now that i'm completely catless, But i will say though before i cut my 2ndary cats i wasnt smoking much if at all...I'm in a process of changing all my fluids and also the transfer case positioning motor so i cant really focus at the smoke at the moment untill all that is done, when problems hit me, they all hit me all at once, always! argh!!!

I wasn't smoking at all until I replaced the stock exhaust.

+1 on the BMS OCC, great product and works as advertised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
A catless car should not smoke.

Replace the turbos and the smoke will disappear
I did not want to go all out, but if its the turbo; it gives me a reason to go ahead with my single turbo set up. We shall see! Thanks for everyone's input. I will be taking it to the dealership here soon to see what they tell me and I will check back to see if there is any progress.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
335xi Kevo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

You guys should note that most direct inject motors run a bit "sooty." Its like a gasoline diesel motor, all FSI motors from the VW scene all smoke when pushing them with catless downpipes. I've had turbo seals go before and lost a quart of oil into the exhaust. It was spitting out of the tailpipes.

More or less a puff of blackish smoke at WOT shouldn't cause concern, but if ur smoking at idle, I'd worry.
Procede 2.5, DCI, Forge DV, PWM, Scoops, KW V1, ETS 5" FMIC, VRSF Downpipes, M3 Skirts
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Just get rid of the Vanguard again and it should stop. But that obviously doesn't solve the underlying issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Just get rid of the Vanguard again and it should stop. But that obviously doesn't solve the underlying issue.
I am truly thinking about doing so, but I certainly do not want to get rid of it and the problem still persist. One suggestion is to get the BMW Performance exhaust, but if that fails as well; it would be a huge waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

the BMS OCC will not help, i have it and still get white smoke.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
OP -- You can keep the Vanguard rear section, if you still have your OEM midpipes w/ the secondary cats + resonators you can just bolt those in. Once the secondary cats are back in, the smoke will get filtered out.

The "visible smoke" issue only occurs in two instances:
  1. Cars with serious problems (copious amounts of oil blowing through the PCV, bad turbos seals, etc)
  2. Cars that are completely catless
OP, more than likely you are suffering from being completely catless since this problem developed after you installed the Vangaurd CBE (from what you've said, when you went to catless DPs, the car was fine). I've been looking into upgrading from the OEM exhaust & between concern for drone (I'm AT) + the "smoking" headaches, an Axle-Back exhaust seems to give you all the benefits without any of the headaches. Here are some Axle-Back options (not particular order):
  • BMW PE
  • UUC/Corsa (my favorite)
  • Akrapovic Slip-On -- Available in Stainless Steel + Titanium
  • Remus -- Race or Sport (keeps vacuum flap)
  • Billy Boat
  • Eisenmann
  • Rogue Engineering

Last edited by benzy89; 07-05-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0