E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shop foreman...

03-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
youngpapiyabish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Msport

Shop foreman...

So before doing any mods to my car I was having long crank issues (lci n55). Reported it to BMW 3 different occasions and nothing came up. Now my car is equipped with a DP and muffler delete, ER charge pipe and the shop foreman is all over my cars ass even on doing brake light bulb change. SA is cool and just tells me to come another time for future work when he isn't present. Mind you my car is CPO, and isn't tuned yet... I would like to hear some reasonable opinions on what some of you guys would do in my position, the shop foreman is all about BMW and not modding it.. But there's nothing like a modded 3.. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Facts Only
OTCQX:ZERO
Rep
Drives: AOT

different dealer? or just do like the SA said and come in when the foreman isn't there
      03-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
cotmfk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4

Time to find an indy. I was banned from BMW dealers in late 2012 early 2013 or something like that. Best thing to ever happen (no sarcasm!).
      03-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Pierce330
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Time to find an indy. I was banned from BMW dealers in late 2012 early 2013 or something like that. Best thing to ever happen (no sarcasm!).
LOL...why were you banned?
E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
My hunch would say that modded cars present a liability they don't want to spend extra time/money to troubleshoot those issues. Modded cars basically aren't as 'originally designed', thus it voids any warranty coverage. Just my 2 cents.
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
youngpapiyabish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce330
Quote:
Lmao I have the same question, wtf did you do hahah
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
TRMFAM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Garage List
I would consult Magnuson-Moss Warranty act and ask the foreman if you have somehow violated your warranty and to explain how in relation to the law.

You could also reach out to groups listed supporting MMWA such as SEMA and others for guidance...might be time for a nasty gram from one of these groups to the dealer regarding federal law!

We had some friends have their warranty voided on a Powerstroke for installing an intake...took an attorney to solve and the Service Manager completely avoids them now but full warranty on the vehicle reinstated. There are even some items they have covered I would call questionable but the dealer does not want to go back to court.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
youngpapiyabish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMFAM
I would consult Magnuson-Moss Warranty act and ask the foreman if you have somehow violated your warranty and to explain how in relation to the law.

You could also reach out to groups listed supporting MMWA such as SEMA and others for guidance...might be time for a nasty gram from one of these groups to the dealer regarding federal law!

We had some friends have their warranty voided on a Powerstroke for installing an intake...took an attorney to solve and the Service Manager completely avoids them now but full warranty on the vehicle reinstated. There are even some items they have covered I would call questionable but the dealer does not want to go back to court.
I get what you're saying, I'll talk to my SA before talking to the foreman, foreman is waiting for something to break in my car so he can find an excuse not to warranty it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
cotmfk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce330 View Post
Just the mods. I was in to replace the footwell module (needed the coding done), and they refused to do the work. I said I was willing to pay.... they said not to bring the car back anymore. (That's the short version of the story)

I was surprised, had never heard of that before, but apparently it's somewhat common once you are modded to a certain extent.
      03-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
youngpapiyabish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If your mods weren't the problem for that needing to be fixed, you can tell them that and if they refuse even after talking to the general manger... Lawyer up
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Quote:
Just the mods. I was in to replace the footwell module (needed the coding done), and they refused to do the work. I said I was willing to pay.... they said not to bring the car back anymore. (That's the short version of the story)

I was surprised, had never heard of that before, but apparently it's somewhat common once you are modded to a certain extent.
Not to defend the dealer but I suspect there is more to this story. Were any "nicities" exchanged? I think DP and Muffler delete are mods a dealer would be concerned about. Charge pipe, maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
TRMFAM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Garage List
I would ask to speak with a supervisor...just do a search for Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Third hit is the FTC.gov site
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, or the FTC.

Above information is copied and pasted from the site...paraphrased. Now, if you are out of warranty then I would say yes, they can deny you service just as someone with a sign saying no shirt / shoes / ? no service can...but warranty, no way.

IF, you are out of warranty and denied service just because they do not want to work on it...I would ask for the general manager of the dealership and have him explain why they do not want your business and how it will impact your future car buying options...politely of course. Those guys are in business to make money and I would be shocked if the GM does not have a chat with the shop manager. At the end of the day, they could just charge you double...why do they care...again in business to make money.

I would not personally lawyer up until I exhausted the "FREE" services of the attorney general, FTC, SEMA, etc. that frequently handle all legals aspects of these complaints...although, you would have much quick resolution funding the legal fees yourself. Up to you...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
youngpapiyabish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMFAM
I would ask to speak with a supervisor...just do a search for Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Third hit is the FTC.gov site
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Complain. If you think a dealer's service advisor denied your warranty claim unfairly, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you still aren't satisfied, contact the manufacturer or go to another dealer. You also may wish to file a complaint with your state Attorney General, local consumer protection office, or the FTC.

Above information is copied and pasted from the site...paraphrased. Now, if you are out of warranty then I would say yes, they can deny you service just as someone with a sign saying no shirt / shoes / ? no service can...but warranty, no way.

IF, you are out of warranty and denied service just because they do not want to work on it...I would ask for the general manager of the dealership and have him explain why they do not want your business and how it will impact your future car buying options...politely of course. Those guys are in business to make money and I would be shocked if the GM does not have a chat with the shop manager. At the end of the day, they could just charge you double...why do they care...again in business to make money.

I would not personally lawyer up until I exhausted the "FREE" services of the attorney general, FTC, SEMA, etc. that frequently handle all legals aspects of these complaints...although, you would have much quick resolution funding the legal fees yourself. Up to you...
I like this explanation thank you it's going to help a lot of ppl out!
Appreciate 0