E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Oil Level Fluctuation (COBB AP)

12-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #1
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i xDrive

Question N54 Oil Level Fluctuation (COBB AP)

Recently I purchased a COBB AP and this morning I decided I would flash my car before heading into work (spruce up the morning commute). The install was successful and everything seemed to be in working condition. Due to the N54’s notorious oil consumption problems I have gotten into the habit of always having the oil level screen present on the iDrive display.

On the drive into work I noticed that once the oil level sensor started displaying a reading, it was showing that the level was at MAX. This was confusing since leading up to the flash I had been tracking the oil level since the last oil change. It had been holding steady at 3/4 for a few weeks already (surprising since I did have more severe consumption previously). By the time I got to work (12 mile trip), I noticed that the level had returned to the 3/4 indication.

On the drive back from work I checked the level again and now it is showing 1/2. In other words, my indicated oil level had dropped a full half quart in the span of a day. Clearly something is going on.

My Thoughts:
  • Maybe the oil level was on it’s way to displaying 1/2 before the tune and today happened to be the day that it was going to drop down regardless of the tune?
  • It was pretty cold this morning, could the initial reading have been altered by the cold weather (~40 degrees outside)?
  • Did the tune just temporarily initialize the reading at MAX and then as I drove the reading dropped down to its true value?

Relevant Info:[LIST]
Turbos Replaced (Under Warranty): 68250 mi
  • BMW Tech said he didn’t see any signs of leaks from the oil pan or the valve cover when he had the engine out
  • Last Oil Change: 71890 mi
  • Current Milage: ~74400 mi
    **Added half a quart of motor oil already since the last oil change
  • Motor Oil: OEM BMW w/ OEM Oil Filter
  • 2009 335xi 6MT
  • Mods: RB PCV Valve, Silicone Vacuum Lines, BMS DCI, and COBB AP Stage 1 Sport
  • Oil Filter Housing Gasket Replaced: 67730 mi

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will update this thread if the level fluctuates again.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallgeese179 View Post
Recently I purchased a COBB AP and this morning I decided I would flash my car before heading into work (spruce up the morning commute). The install was successful and everything seemed to be in working condition. Due to the N54’s notorious oil consumption problems I have gotten into the habit of always having the oil level screen present on the iDrive display.

On the drive into work I noticed that once the oil level sensor started displaying a reading, it was showing that the level was at MAX. This was confusing since leading up to the flash I had been tracking the oil level since the last oil change. It had been holding steady at 3/4 for a few weeks already (surprising since I did have more severe consumption previously). By the time I got to work (12 mile trip), I noticed that the level had returned to the 3/4 indication.

On the drive back from work I checked the level again and now it is showing 1/2. In other words, my indicated oil level had dropped a full half quart in the span of a day. Clearly something is going on.

My Thoughts:
  • Maybe the oil level was on it’s way to displaying 1/2 before the tune and today happened to be the day that it was going to drop down regardless of the tune?
  • It was pretty cold this morning, could the initial reading have been altered by the cold weather (~40 degrees outside)?
  • Did the tune just temporarily initialize the reading at MAX and then as I drove the reading dropped down to its true value?

Relevant Info:[LIST]
Turbos Replaced (Under Warranty): 68250 mi
  • BMW Tech said he didn’t see any signs of leaks from the oil pan or the valve cover when he had the engine out
  • Last Oil Change: 71890 mi
  • Current Milage: ~74400 mi
    **Added half a quart of motor oil already since the last oil change
  • Motor Oil: OEM BMW w/ OEM Oil Filter
  • 2009 335xi 6MT
  • Mods: RB PCV Valve, Silicone Vacuum Lines, BMS DCI, and COBB AP Stage 1 Sport
  • Oil Filter Housing Gasket Replaced: 67730 mi

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will update this thread if the level fluctuates again.
Tune will set the oil level to full after a new flash but after the first cycle will read true levels.
|2010 E92 335i 6MT\\\M-Sport///225M 19" Rims, MHD PTF Stg 2+, Fuel IT Stage 2 LPFP, VRSF Downpipes, CDV Delete, ER CP & 5" IC, Forge DV, PE Modded Mufflers, BMS DCI & Cowl Delete, CYBA Tips, ST Coils, M3 Control Arms, E93 M3 Sway Bar, Michelin PSS|
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that the software would reset the reading on the first cycle. It appears to be holding steady at the 1/2 mark over the last couple of days.

However, while I was upgrading my chargepipe yesterday I definitely found where the oil is disappearing to. The inside of the pipe and the BOVs were covered in a thick coat of oil. There was enough that some was pooling at the bottom of the plastic charge pipe. I remember finding a similar situation when I pulled the intercooler a few months back.

I thought installing the RB PCV valve would help out with this, but I guess I might need to look into getting an oil catch can as well. I just can't believe it's using so much oil. Anyone have suggestions to reduce the oil use? Or is this "within spec" as BMW might tell me?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

"Due to n54 consuming oil" ?

Am I the only one who things that statement doesn't make sense?

If you are consuming oil you got a problem. There is oil blow is that what you mean? You should change ur oil every 5k and you won't notice it

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that the software would reset the reading on the first cycle. It appears to be holding steady at the 1/2 mark over the last couple of days.

However, while I was upgrading my chargepipe yesterday I definitely found where the oil is disappearing to. The inside of the pipe and the BOVs were covered in a thick coat of oil. There was enough that some was pooling at the bottom of the plastic charge pipe. I remember finding a similar situation when I pulled the intercooler a few months back.

I thought installing the RB PCV valve would help out with this, but I guess I might need to look into getting an oil catch can as well. I just can't believe it's using so much oil. Anyone have suggestions to reduce the oil use? Or is this "within spec" as BMW might tell me?
There is this common misconception on the pcv valve. Turbo cars have two paths one going to intake man and other going to the turbo intake. Upgrading pcv may help some indirectly, but oil vapors going to the intake and coating thereafter is normal operation. Yes occ can collect those vapors and prevent coating.
      12-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post

If you are consuming oil you got a problem. There is oil blow is that what you mean? You should change ur oil every 5k and you won't notice it
+1 haven't heard or experienced the "notorious n54 oil consumption" issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #7
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZuc View Post
I think probably one of the first things that I found out about the N54s was that containing their oil wasn't their best trait. Lots of threads about oil filter housing gasket leaks, along with oil pan and valve cover gasket leaks.

I've also read in multiple threads (like this one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633362) that BMW techs have told other owners that consumption is normal. People often talk about blowby as well as the weak PCV valve, so I started to assume that the design was just inherently bad. There's definitely some that don't have any consumption at all, but there appear to be plenty of people that have problems with their cars keeping their oil. Could have sworn that this was a more common thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #8
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
There is this common misconception on the pcv valve. Turbo cars have two paths one going to intake man and other going to the turbo intake. Upgrading pcv may help some indirectly, but oil vapors going to the intake and coating thereafter is normal operation. Yes occ can collect those vapors and prevent coating.
So are you saying that it's a problem inherent to turbo cars or one that can be solved by resolving an underlying issue? I would be happy if I could stop the oil consumption, but I haven't been able to pinpoint any solutions from looking around on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #9
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Some oil collection at the charge pipe is normal. Oil consumption is not normal with regular driving habits unless you have a gasket leak etc. Hope this helps.
|2010 E92 335i 6MT\\\M-Sport///225M 19" Rims, MHD PTF Stg 2+, Fuel IT Stage 2 LPFP, VRSF Downpipes, CDV Delete, ER CP & 5" IC, Forge DV, PE Modded Mufflers, BMS DCI & Cowl Delete, CYBA Tips, ST Coils, M3 Control Arms, E93 M3 Sway Bar, Michelin PSS|
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
So are you saying that it's a problem inherent to turbo cars or one that can be solved by resolving an underlying issue? I would be happy if I could stop the oil consumption, but I haven't been able to pinpoint any solutions from looking around on the forum.
But do you really have an oil consumption?
      12-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335
Quote:
Yeah, I've had the problem since I bought the car last year. I'll be doing a more thorough check today to look for any leaks around the gaskets. I just haven't looked for it too much since the dealership tech said that he couldn't spot any external leaks.

Currently it appears that I'm loosing about a quart every 5K miles. In other words I have to top up around a quart of oil between oil changes. The only place that I've seen oil so far is in the charge pipe and connection between the charge pipe and intercooler piping.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #12
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallgeese179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335
Quote:
Yeah, I've had the problem since I bought the car last year. I'll be doing a more thorough check today to look for any leaks around the gaskets. I just haven't looked for it too much since the dealership tech said that he couldn't spot any external leaks.

Currently it appears that I'm loosing about a quart every 5K miles. In other words I have to top up around a quart of oil between oil changes. The only place that I've seen oil so far is in the charge pipe and connection between the charge pipe and intercooler piping.
You have a leak my friend. Give it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have a leak my friend. Give it to someone who knows what they are doing.
I'm actually looking over the car right now very meticulously and keeping notes on what I find. I have an inspection camera that I can reach into little nooks to really make sure I'm not missing a possible leak that's hidden out of sight. I'll update the thread with notes and pictures to see if anyone can offer advice.

Btw, driving a BMW doesn't mean I'm the type that just takes it to the dealership everytime there's a problem. I much prefer doing the work myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZuc
Quote:

Then you're not on the forums often
      12-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Tallgeese179
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen lots of posts about oil consumption in just the year I've been a member. Was starting to think I was crazy or something
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
924er
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lol I misunderstood how he meant it. I thought he said his a healthy n54 consumes oil. Of course one that leaks will, but he should use the word consume lol

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 04:43 AM   #17
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallgeese179
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen lots of posts about oil consumption in just the year I've been a member. Was starting to think I was crazy or something
Lol my 08 living proof