E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2223
Inter Alia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Thank you. I will definitely discuss that repair with my mechanic.

What is the consensus though regarding whether my car will be damaged if I leave things as is (i.e., lifters have been replaced once, but ticking comes back rarely)? I've read conflicting opinions. Some people say my engine will be fine if this intermittent problem persists (including my mechanic), and other people say my engine could be harmed. Has a consensus been reached?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #2224
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

i had my lifters replaced when I was under warranty and after 6month when I was out of warranty the ticking noise came back.

than the dealer replaced the head under warranty even when I was 5 month out of warranty only because I reported it while under warrrnty.
the engine sounds completely different in better way, it just sounds much tighter.

all you guys, report it as soon as possible if you're under any type of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #2225
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter Alia View Post
Thank you. I will definitely discuss that repair with my mechanic.

What is the consensus though regarding whether my car will be damaged if I leave things as is (i.e., lifters have been replaced once, but ticking comes back rarely)? I've read conflicting opinions. Some people say my engine will be fine if this intermittent problem persists (including my mechanic), and other people say my engine could be harmed. Has a consensus been reached?
I'm in the same predicament.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #2226
jakuum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Took my car in on Friday for the same issue. Looks like they are going to replace the lifters (not sure about the rockers though). Hopefully that'll fix it and the cylinder head won't need to be replaced as well. Makes me quite glad I paid the bit extra for CPO .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #2227
martinlag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 M-Sport and F30 M-Sport

I had my lifters changed last year and just got the rockers changed yesterday. So far so good. SA told me that if it ticks again, out comes the head. Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #2228
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakuum View Post
Took my car in on Friday for the same issue. Looks like they are going to replace the lifters (not sure about the rockers though). Hopefully that'll fix it and the cylinder head won't need to be replaced as well. Makes me quite glad I paid the bit extra for CPO .
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlag View Post
I had my lifters changed last year and just got the rockers changed yesterday. So far so good. SA told me that if it ticks again, out comes the head. Let's see what happens.
If you need the cylinder head replaced as I did, my SA said it was not something that is a huge project. Pop out the old and put in the new. I have had zero problems with the lifter noise since it was completed over a year ago. Also, there have been zero problems with any other issues from the new head. The result is just fine, my E92 N52 runs perfect. Good luck going forward....

Last edited by DL; 07-01-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #2229
Inter Alia
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

You didn't get the lifters replaced again? My mechanic wants to replace the lifters a second time (he did it the first time about six months or so ago). I couldn't hear him well over the phone, but I think he said BMW very recently put out newly designed lifters. Hence, his recommendation for me to get another new set of lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlag View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #2230
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

I've been off the forum for a while and did not have the time to read all of the previous posts. Has anyone mentioned that there is a TSB (SI B 11 09 07
September 2009 - Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA) Noise) on this issue which says it is covered under the warranty. Unfortunately I got persuaded that it was "normal" before the TSB came out, and I didn't find out about the TSB until after my warranty ran out. I should have known better. It was clearly a lifter sound (while it may seem hard to believe, adjusting lifters is something we did years ago to solve this issue).

A series of marathon swims to raise money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #2231
martinlag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 M-Sport and F30 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter Alia View Post
You didn't get the lifters replaced again? My mechanic wants to replace the lifters a second time (he did it the first time about six months or so ago). I couldn't hear him well over the phone, but I think he said BMW very recently put out newly designed lifters. Hence, his recommendation for me to get another new set of lifters.
No, just once on the lifters. He did say the rockers were new though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #2232
burtface
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Looks like a few of us have had the same or similar problem. I also get a metallic engine noise from my car especially during cold starts and it is more noticeable when the engine idles after warm-up. I've taken the car in for this reason multiple times and have had the valves adjusted, later they were replaced, then finally the dealership decided to replace the entire cylinder head. The noise is still present and it comes and goes. I took in the car once again last week for the same reason, but they were not able to duplicate the noise. BMW needs to find a fix for this continuing problem!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #2233
kfitzy78
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

scary
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #2234
hotwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e82 125i

Hello my friends
I have the same problem with my car...
E82 125i with N52 engine.
The trouble is that my car was produced in 04/2010.
I have already the new head on it.
I have the "tic tic tic" noise and the "tac tac tac" we can hear on previous video.
Mileage : 16000 km.

I will let my car in september at BMW France to find a solution.

If you know where I can find the puma TSB to be stronger in front of BMW France ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #2235
manillaice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i TiAg Coupe

Garage List
I have had the noise for quite a while, i'd say ever since i bought the car a couple years ago. The noise was negligble and only intermittent, but lately it has been worse.

Took it to the dealership and they said they needed to replace both turbos!!!
Luckily its under warranty, but still i only have 48k miles on it, seems to early for the turbos to be bad.

Should i be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2236
othomasjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I just got my car back and it doesn't tick anymore, but the damn thing nearly sounds like a diesel. It's hard to describe the sound, but it's loud.
Any ideas what this could be??
The service rep said BMW doesn't replace the heads anymore and they have a new solution. I have no idea what they did because I picked it up after hours and they are yet to send my receipt to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #2237
ja.
Ja
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90

Hello there I am just curious and would appreciate an answer. i tried to find answer from the last 3 pages but there are just too much infos lol. my ticking noise is not as bad as the vid where a newspaper is referenced for the date however i DO hear ticking noise on my drivers side wheel. it is less noticeable when the hood is up but when its closed you can dfntly hear it! i found this video and would want to inquire if this is actually a good sound engine.

car is 2008. appreciate your responses guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #2238
othomasjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by othomasjr View Post
I just got my car back and it doesn't tick anymore, but the damn thing nearly sounds like a diesel. It's hard to describe the sound, but it's loud.
Any ideas what this could be??
The service rep said BMW doesn't replace the heads anymore and they have a new solution. I have no idea what they did because I picked it up after hours and they are yet to send my receipt to me.
I finally got my receipt and it says the drag levers were replaced. Can anyone help me with this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I took the car in for a new head (lifters were replaced previously) and they ended up replacing the drag levers and telling me this is the new fix. I'm really confused now and this dealer service department is notoriously impossible to deal with. Frankly, they suck. Anyway, at this point I just wish I had left the car alone because the ticking was better than my car sounding like a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #2239
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja. View Post
Hello there I am just curious and would appreciate an answer. i tried to find answer from the last 3 pages but there are just too much infos lol. my ticking noise is not as bad as the vid where a newspaper is referenced for the date however i DO hear ticking noise on my drivers side wheel. it is less noticeable when the hood is up but when its closed you can dfntly hear it! i found this video and would want to inquire if this is actually a good sound engine.

car is 2008. appreciate your responses guys!
Not the lifters. Hopeful, someone can pick up on this sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by othomasjr View Post
I finally got my receipt and it says the drag levers were replaced. Can anyone help me with this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I took the car in for a new head (lifters were replaced previously) and they ended up replacing the drag levers and telling me this is the new fix. I'm really confused now and this dealer service department is notoriously impossible to deal with. Frankly, they suck. Anyway, at this point I just wish I had left the car alone because the ticking was better than my car sounding like a diesel.
This is new,

If you could post the invoice with personal info. blocked, maybe someone can get the latest TSB from BMW.
      07-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #2240
ja.
Ja
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL View Post
Not the lifters. Hopeful, someone can pick up on this sound.
thanks for the reply. yes im very curious to know as what the sound is especially when the guy actually goes into where the ticking sound is on the driver's wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #2241
Mixalota
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

You will get this issue done by replacing the alignment elements (make sure you are using this part no. 11-33-7-605-330) and by using 0W40 oel.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #2242
Mandy Gong
Rep
Drives: F10

Well, that would be a relief!Thanks for your update ages944,

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #2243
Mandy Gong
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #2244
Mandy Gong
Rep

Thanks again for the last update. Glad to hear you're reunited with your E90.
Appreciate 0