E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Batmowheel compressor wheel upgrade

02-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Batmowheel compressor wheel upgrade

http://www.turbo-kits.com/3_series_turbo_kits.html

Its the first thing in the page. The name is kinda lame, but I wonder if this is actually a decent product or if its junk? lol. Saw this and figured i'd post it here so more of the community would be aware of it. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
ar design II
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: which one?

worth it, been running those on our race turbos for a while! extra surface area = better/more flow.

Our race cars are hitting same load targets on 3-4 less psi!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
135i
Cobb Stage 2+/ICarbon/HPF/Stett
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

interested. how expensive is it to physically do the swap?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i View Post
how expensive is it to physically do the swap?
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i View Post
interested. how expensive is it to physically do the swap?
I would imagine its a tad bit more labor than swapping out turbos. So I would guess around 14 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
SlowerThanU
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i AT

You usually have to balance a wheel when you replace it...not easily done with a normal DIY. Also, one of our biggest constrictions is the turbine wheel...not the compressor wheel.

Not sure what size wheel this is and if the price is for one or two wheels.

Good to see more vendors playing in the upgraded turbo game though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
If the compressor wheel is bolt-on, wouldn't that mean it's overall the same size? Just more surface area in the design? Wouldn't it have to be the same size for a bolt-on wheel if it does not require a bigger CHRA or boring out the turbine housing? You would have all the labor of a swap, but then have to take apart the unit to put on a same size wheel? As mentioned above, does it have to get balanced before you put it the turbo assemble back into the car?

Not enough info, but sounds like a lot of work for doing nothing for the turbine wheel, and nothing to the chra or turbine housing.

Some discussion on the supra forums from last year. I think there is a dyno vid on page 3:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...wer-Batmowheel

Last edited by scottp999; 02-14-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

941whp 335i

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
RaNMaN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 335i '98 2jz s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
If the compressor wheel is bolt-on, wouldn't that mean it's overall the same size? Just more surface area in the design? Wouldn't it have to be the same size for a bolt-on wheel if it does not require a bigger CHRA or boring out the turbine housing? You would have all the labor of a swap, but then have to take apart the unit to put on a same size wheel? As mentioned above, does it have to get balanced before you put it the turbo assemble back into the car?

Not enough info, but sounds like a lot of work for doing nothing for the turbine wheel, and nothing to the chra or turbine housing.

Some discussion on the supra forums from last year. I think there is a dyno vid on page 3:

It's just a different designed compressor wheel that fits into the same space as the stock wheel but offers more flow.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just replace the compressor wheels without even removing the turbos from the car. I wouldn't do it because I would also want my turbo's rebalanced but technically I don't see any reason why that's not possible.

Down the road i am thinking about doing something similar to this but i would want to also upgrade the turbine wheel and the housings, or perhaps i would even go with another turbo. i know that RB already essentially does this but imo there is no reason that reworking of the turbos should cost so much.

My buddy just got done doing something like this with the turbo's on his 996. We do most of the work on our cars ourselves but still the bill for the work on the turbo's alone was more like around $1400-1600, none of this $4k+ BS for reworking the turbos. also for example, in my other car i run a $600 used rebuilt garrett on my 2jz and make about 600 whp with it. sorry but i'm not buying into the $4k turbo upgrades as being the only way to go for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
It's just a different designed compressor wheel that fits into the same space as the stock wheel but offers more flow.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just replace the compressor wheels without even removing the turbos from the car. I wouldn't do it because I would also want my turbo's rebalanced but technically I don't see any reason why that's not possible.

Down the road i am thinking about doing something similar to this but i would want to also upgrade the turbine wheel and the housings, or perhaps i would even go with another turbo. i know that RB already essentially does this but imo there is no reason that reworking of the turbos should cost so much.

My buddy just got done doing something like this with the turbo's on his 996. We do most of the work on our cars ourselves but still the bill for the work on the turbo's alone was more like around $1400-1600, none of this $4k+ BS for reworking the turbos. also for example, in my other car i run a $600 used rebuilt garrett on my 2jz and make about 600 whp with it. sorry but i'm not buying into the $4k turbo upgrades as being the only way to go for these cars.
I'm guessing you've never replaced DP's on this car and noticed the amount of space you have to work with.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNMaN View Post
I don't see any reason why you couldn't just replace the compressor wheels without even removing the turbos from the car.

I'd like to witness someone replacing the compressor wheel with the turbo/exhaust manifold still attached to the engine in this application.

Good luck, I hope you are successful with your efforts on your car and report back to us how it went. I think there are quite a few additional steps in there that make these difficult to deal with. BMW went out of their way to make it hard to use other twin turbos for this application. RB has documented many reasons why this is not a typical easy swap.

RB's are $3k. You can get away with about $150 in install parts if your oil lines are good, + do it yourself with your experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post

Yes the idea is to use same size, but the "bent fin" design gives it more surface area and theoretically more efficient power. Its a small upgrade but it could theoretically make a difference.

I guess someone needs to try it and be the guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
RaNMaN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 335i '98 2jz s14

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I'm guessing you've never replaced DP's on this car and noticed the amount of space you have to work with.
No, i just picked my 335i up a few weeks ago. It's CPO and i haven't decided yet about what mods to do and when etc.

I am, however, very used to working on a 2jz in a 240sx engine bay which is not as different as you might think.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
ar design II
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: which one?

They are not super easy "bolt on" to put in. You do have to take the compressor housings off the turbos to install them. We have them in a test car of ours but we have not dynoed it with them on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Yup, we have been testing them for some time now.... Working out kinks in the tune with Cobb, the AT is hitting some sort of torque limiter we havent seen before.