E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > bmw 328i won't start

01-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

bmw 328i won't start

So I was on the highway last week and my car shut down on me so I was thinking I ran out of gas since i had low fuel so I get gas put it in my tank still no start I was wondering what could it be since I had just replace the starter and battery and alranator so I get in contact with my mechanic for him to tell me my car went in to limp mode so I ask details about limp mode and he says it's to save the engine so now I'm thinking if it went in to limp mode to save the engine why want the car come back on I just received recall in the mail I was wondering do this have any thing to do with my car cutting off I have a 328i xd 2010 my persnal opinion is it could be the starter but my mechanic just replaced it so I wouldn't know some 1 please help my car is in the shop now and I'm waiting to hear from my mechanic but I don't want to get over charged some 1 help me please if this happened to you be for and thanks and advanced

Last edited by Bimmerball; 01-15-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

Recall has nothing to do with that, it's for either blower motor wiring or airbags.

If the car shut down while driving there's a possibility it can be fuel pump
      01-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Squirt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

^^^^^...particularly if you ran it low on gas and burned it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

If you haven't replaced it yet, there was a recall for the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) on certain years, it would be faulty and cause your car to shut off while driving it which can very dangerous. I would look into that to see if that's been replaced on your car.
      01-17-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Ok you guys I got my car back and now it comes on but it's still in limp mode and only run at 40 mph he said the ecu burnt-out on me he replaced it but the lights in my car still want come on the windows want roll down but the sun roof will he said my front brakes are bad and now somting about the axle but my axel wasn't broke be for I towed it to the shop so do any 1 know how I can get my car back running regular with out all the run arounds he charged me 500 for getting it to come back on but it still isn't running right and my check engine light is on now so please some 1 help me
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusive View Post
If you haven't replaced it yet, there was a recall for the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) on certain years, it would be faulty and cause your car to shut off while driving it which can very dangerous. I would look into that to see if that's been replaced on your car.
My abs was coming on but I think that's for brakes my fronts are bad
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #7
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balxoscar View Post
Recall has nothing to do with that, it's for either blower motor wiring or airbags.

If the car shut down while driving there's a possibility it can be fuel pump
All of sudden my air bags are on now 2 but y is the car in limp mode and how can I get it out
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Mike @ SSR Performance
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, F30 328i

Sounds to me like your battery or alternator is going out. These cars are very sensitive to voltage. If the voltage is too low, it will disable other modules to help provide enough current to keep your car running.

Did your mechanic test your battery and alternator?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike @ SSR Performance View Post
Sounds to me like your battery or alternator is going out. These cars are very sensitive to voltage. If the voltage is too low, it will disable other modules to help provide enough current to keep your car running.

Did your mechanic test your battery and alternator?
yes I have a new altanator battery and starter but car still is in limp mode I'm starting to think it's a engine problem now cus it want go fast I went to auto zone this morning to get it tested but no codes came on
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
balxoscar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Probably broken

What exactly did he charge you 500 for? Did he replace something? What did he test or check?

My 328 was in limp mode just how you describe it. The cause was a blown fuse in the battery distributor box. Its right above the battery on the trunk. Google it and youll see what exactly it looks like. With a volt meter, check if theres current across each of the ports where a wire is plugged into. You can't see if it's blown just by looking at it. You need to test it for current.
      01-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerball View Post
yes I have a new altanator battery and starter but car still is in limp mode I'm starting to think it's a engine problem now cus it want go fast I went to auto zone this morning to get it tested but no codes came on
Dude its gotta be a code somewhere in there which is triggering ECU to activate limp mode... you need a BMW code reader not the typical OBD one..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balxoscar View Post
What exactly did he charge you 500 for? Did he replace something? What did he test or check?

My 328 was in limp mode just how you describe it. The cause was a blown fuse in the battery distributor box. Its right above the battery on the trunk. Google it and youll see what exactly it looks like. With a volt meter, check if theres current across each of the ports where a wire is plugged into. You can't see if it's blown just by looking at it. You need to test it for current.
He said he replaced the ecu which made my car come back on but it's still in limp mode so I'm thinking I got played

Last edited by Bimmerball; 01-17-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Bimmerball
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Ok you guys I'm back with another update my mechanic came back to my house put the bmw scanner on my car 3 codes came on not sure what they were but I'm guessing it was for the windows not rolling down 1 was for the limp mode which is gone you guys the car is running like forest Gump I did 120 on the Street 2 day after he got the limp mode off I was happy as hell you guys the limp mode was on cus it needed 2 be reseted since it was a new ecu they never programed it or didn't do it right the 1st time so I had no big problems hope everyone learned something limp mode can be caused by something so small or big in my case it was small but still no electricity inside the car and windows still want come down he said he'll come back tomorrow to fix that I guss those might have been the other 2 codes back to loving my car

Last edited by Bimmerball; 01-17-2018 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0