E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E93 Opinions on rear suspension sitting too low.

01-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

E93 Opinions on rear suspension sitting too low.

Guys. im new to this E93 stuff and havent really seen many E93 to be able to answer some of my questions. i still dont know what some of the lights mean on the dash with the window or the rear roof thing etc so ill slowly get there however i think the rear suspension sits maybe abit too low, looks more low on driver side rear. have a look at the pics and let me know if you think the same and then maybe look at how to adjust it.

Rear drivers side in question:

Front looks normal

Rear passenger side looks ok

Ive noticed its mainly the back right side which sits abit too low. any idea what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I thought this was normal, due to where the battery is located?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I thought this was normal, due to where the battery is located?
Hmm might just be me then being OTT. just want it right. i want to get new 19's and fit spacers but with the car sitting low like that on the right side ive got no chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

When I bought mine I asked the dealer to check the rear as it seemed a little to keen to "bottom out" going over speed bumps or such like, anyway they did a full check and found nothing wrong but did explain that the extra weight in the rear of the roof mechanism did make it feel that way and especially an m sport version like mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina F31 B3

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
You may also find it looks low because of the way the handbrake has taken up and the slope on the drive. To get a true idea of the differences between sides, take it for a drive and leave it somewhere flat without the handbrake on. Will give you a clearer indication. From memory, I think all of my BMWs have sat lower on the drivers side, especially on the handbrake.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

also bear in mind u've got the fuel tank there too, but that is unusually low on an 18"..
      01-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Decent day time photos would be a massive help.

Im pretty sure when I did my suspension I had a full tank so that when I set it up I could see how the car sat with a decent amount of weight in the car. I also got my maud to sit in the back (middle) and then judged how much to adjust the coilovers.

I have noticed the car looks as thought it is at odd heights on the back at times but you have to remember that most of the weight is on the drivers side. Normally there would be a good balance of weight as you'd be sat on the other side to the tank and have a relatively equal distribution of weight but as its all on one side it makes it look odd.

Theres a chance someone will know a damn sight more than me though.
      01-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
E90325iM-SPORT
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325i m-sport

Garage List
Its normal to rhd bmws , always lower on right side . Solution - coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #9
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

See mine is lower on the passenger side by 12mm, put a post up here but all said its within the tolerance of what it's allowed to be, drives me mad looking at it but the only way to solve it is by going the coilover route
      01-14-2015, 03:01 AM   #10
grimwood1992
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Sits a lot lower than mine mate
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:23 AM   #11
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
When I bought mine I asked the dealer to check the rear as it seemed a little to keen to "bottom out" going over speed bumps or such like, anyway they did a full check and found nothing wrong but did explain that the extra weight in the rear of the roof mechanism did make it feel that way and especially an m sport version like mine.
i may have to get somebody to check suspension to see if its ok. i just think right side sits lower, my E90 doesnt sit like this even with full tank and battery there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
You may also find it looks low because of the way the handbrake has taken up and the slope on the drive. To get a true idea of the differences between sides, take it for a drive and leave it somewhere flat without the handbrake on. Will give you a clearer indication. From memory, I think all of my BMWs have sat lower on the drivers side, especially on the handbrake.
thanks matt, ill try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
also bear in mind u've got the fuel tank there too, but that is unusually low on an 18"..
yup. 19's ill have no chance will i lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFCAIDS View Post
Decent day time photos would be a massive help.

Im pretty sure when I did my suspension I had a full tank so that when I set it up I could see how the car sat with a decent amount of weight in the car. I also got my maud to sit in the back (middle) and then judged how much to adjust the coilovers.

I have noticed the car looks as thought it is at odd heights on the back at times but you have to remember that most of the weight is on the drivers side. Normally there would be a good balance of weight as you'd be sat on the other side to the tank and have a relatively equal distribution of weight but as its all on one side it makes it look odd.

Theres a chance someone will know a damn sight more than me though.
havent seen you on here in a while! cant get day time photo's up as im out the door by 7am and back home for 6! still using my E90 for the moment so when i see the E93 its dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanWheelman View Post
Its normal to rhd bmws , always lower on right side . Solution - coilovers
Hmmmm, my e90 isnt this bad tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
See mine is lower on the passenger side by 12mm, put a post up here but all said its within the tolerance of what it's allowed to be, drives me mad looking at it but the only way to solve it is by going the coilover route
what would coilovers actually do? not the most knowledgable about coilovers or suspension etc lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimwood1992 View Post
Sits a lot lower than mine mate
Yep!! yours was the first car i looked at to compare
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:18 AM   #12
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I test drove an E93 the other day. I sent a pic to my mate who commented how low the rear drivers side looked. It is pretty low.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:21 AM   #13
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I've had people mention the same concerns to me so it's not just you. If it really bothers you, yeah coilovers will adjust that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Need some better photos or measurements really but from the pics you have posted above something definately looks wrong.
I would get it up on a ramp and checked out, I've seen some sitting slightly lower but that looks like you would be tucking rim on 19".
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

With adjustable coilovers you can adjust each corner to how you want it to sit, and in effect have the car sitting and looking level, and you will be able to go as low as you want then aswel
      01-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

took it for a long drive today. had it on a straight road and it isnt that bad now. yes its still abit lower but i can see the full tyre now but i have to bend down level with it. yesterday when i took first shot i couldnt see complete tyre if it makes sense. pprobably just me being cautious but will still get it checked otherwise
Appreciate 0