E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone use gloves for driving/ racing?

11-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Does anyone use gloves for driving/ racing?

This is sorta a repost because I created a thread in the tracking thread but of course I never seem to get any responses because there is maybe one soul in there if even lol.
Here's the repost:
I recently found out that my palms get very sweaty after hitting the canyons or whenever I'm on a long drive. I was doing research and found some gloves for fairly cheap but the only problem is that the palm area is made of suede. That bring a serious concern of slipping when in a turn or turning in very quick manor. I've also seen that they used leather for the palm area and it was a lot pricier. My question is, what kind of gloves do you use on your steering wheel being that it's made of leather?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I just bought some oem BMW gloves, mostly for winter driving use. Comfy and they make me feel like a race car driver.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I don't think suede is very slippery
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I just bought some oem BMW gloves, mostly for winter driving use. Comfy and they make me feel like a race car driver.

I've tried the oem m3 driving gloves and they make my hands even sweatier
I was trying to get something like sparco or something but a lot of them are made of suede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
I don't think suede is very slippery
When I used my old sparco nomex gloves, my hands slid allllll over the place it seemed to have no grip at all, suede and leather don't mix well. It was even hard to hold cardboard boxed without it slipping off of my hands
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Surgical gloves.

JK.

I only wear gloves when driving during the winter because of how cold the steering wheel can get.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
N 5 4
Turbonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335iS

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [8.00]
I got a pair of thin gloves from Costco for $10. These work for temps around 45-50 degrees f. Anything below will feel ice cold.

These have rubber lining in the palm (in crossing pattern) that work for me when driving.

I can do the bus driver single palm turn with sticky gloves.
      11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

I was considering buying driving gloves for the winter but I have the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel. Although I really could have used them today when I was pumping gas since the trigger part is made of metal.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Surgical gloves.

JK.

I only wear gloves when driving during the winter because of how cold the steering wheel can get.
You hands never get sweaty after some spirited driving? The steering wheel was never a problem for me because in socal it doesn't get lower than 45°f even in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA335iS View Post
I got a pair of thin gloves from Costco for $10. These work for temps around 45-50 degrees f. Anything below will feel ice cold.

These have rubber lining in the palm (in crossing pattern) that work for me when driving.

I can do the bus driver single palm turn with sticky gloves.
I was thinking of doing the same but I don't wanna look tacky on the track lol but 10 bucks sure beats 100 any day
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2188 View Post
I was considering buying driving gloves for the winter but I have the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel. Although I really could have used them today when I was pumping gas since the trigger part is made of metal.
The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
You hands never get sweaty after some spirited driving? The steering wheel was never a problem for me because in socal it doesn't get lower than 45°f even in the winter
I'm a calm person
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
I'm a calm person
Ohhh I see, but your palms never get sweaty after a long drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Yes, my palms are somewhat sweaty during summertime drives. I used to have a motorcycle and my hands would always get sweaty with gloves on so I am a little hesitant to wear them while driving. It just seems it's not worth the hassle.

The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

i actually have the costco head brand jogging gloves with rubber grips, the fit they have is amazing and second to none on grip, actually wish there was a little less grip sometimes.. also with regards to cold, not that bad, meant for running afterall. most importantly great flexibility to me. also have a pair of leather ones.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
i actually have the costco head brand jogging gloves with rubber grips, the fit they have is amazing and second to none on grip, actually wish there was a little less grip sometimes.. also with regards to cold, not that bad, meant for running afterall. most importantly great flexibility to me. also have a pair of leather ones.

Hmmm very interesting, are the pads on the thumb and index for texting on touch screen phones?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2188 View Post
Yes, my palms are somewhat sweaty during summertime drives. I used to have a motorcycle and my hands would always get sweaty with gloves on so I am a little hesitant to wear them while driving. It just seems it's not worth the hassle.

The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?
[/QUOTE]

I always remembered auto racing gloves having vents in them to cool your hands and to dry off any sweat though? I guess bike gloves don't have the same supporting features?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29
This is sorta a repost because I created a thread in the tracking thread but of course I never seem to get any responses because there is maybe one soul in there if even lol.
Here's the repost:
I recently found out that my palms get very sweaty after hitting the canyons or whenever I'm on a long drive. I was doing research and found some gloves for fairly cheap but the only problem is that the palm area is made of suede. That bring a serious concern of slipping when in a turn or turning in very quick manor. I've also seen that they used leather for the palm area and it was a lot pricier. My question is, what kind of gloves do you use on your steering wheel being that it's made of leather?
Just buy fingerless gym gloves from target or similar store.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Just buy fingerless gym gloves from target or similar store.
The wool gloves don't seem to help any more than the suede ones though
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #17
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hmmm very interesting, are the pads on the thumb and index for texting on touch screen phones?
ya they are, and they're antimicrobial too, not bad for 10 bucks in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:27 AM   #18
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
ya they are, and they're antimicrobial too, not bad for 10 bucks in my opinion
Hmm... under what section in cosco would it be ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #19
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

I have found that I absolutely need driving gloves, they make me faster and help me to control the car when hitting apex's and really railing through the turns. Currently I wear these whenever going out, whether through the twisties or even a quick jaunt to the local supermarket.

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
gewse2k
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320i

@Philz BMW

OP: I used to use some sparco racing gloves in my e46. And really no slipping on the leather steering wheel in combination with the suede.
It keeps my hands dry, otherwise they tend to get a bit sticky.

Just the looks you sometimes get when cruising trough a town is a bit odd
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

For actual racing ,, I have to . For daily driving. Even when its freezing out . No. Just a personal thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz BMW View Post
I have found that I absolutely need driving gloves, they make me faster and help me to control the car when hitting apex's and really railing through the turns. Currently I wear these whenever going out, whether through the twisties or even a quick jaunt to the local supermarket.

.... O.O I'm speechless hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewse2k View Post
@Philz BMW

OP: I used to use some sparco racing gloves in my e46. And really no slipping on the leather steering wheel in combination with the suede.
It keeps my hands dry, otherwise they tend to get a bit sticky.

Just the looks you sometimes get when cruising trough a town is a bit odd
Hmmm.. maybe my gloves before just weren't broken in enough to reach that point?
And of course lol I didn't mean to wear them whenever you're just driving around town, id feel like a poser if I showed up at a meet with them on lol
Appreciate 0