E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Unsuccessful Procede Install Attempt

07-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Unsuccessful Procede Install Attempt

Testing with just the wiring harness and jumpers installed the car ran fine with no errors. After connecting the Procede and switching vacuum lines the car had a long crank time, the check engine light came on, limp mode and a DTC Warning. Code reader showed error 0335.

I reinstalled the jumpers, cleared the code and the car started fine. I double checked everything, reinstalled Procede and same problem again. Back to jumpers and this time I got error code with the jumpers! (Although I did accidentally have my CA fob in my pocket so maybe ECU never turned off and reset). Tried to reach Vishnu but it was getting late so at this point I tossed in the towel and took it back to stock with no problems.

I don’t think I crossed the wires or else I would have never gotten it back to stock so easy. I thinking it must be an intermittent connectivity problem with one of the crimps or connectors. Unfortunately I do not have an ohm meter available to test the harness tonight.

I’m a former electronic repair tech so I’ll be able to ring out the harness once I get a meter unless the Vishnu guys have other ideas…

I’m sure I’ll hear from them tomorrow and I’ll reattempt on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

hmmm weird.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
pino335
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 335 E92 M/T

I had the same problems after my procede install but it was at the "test harness" stage of the install. I did not have a code reader so i could not pin-point what was wrong. So i just thought i'd installed the procede and see what happends. I finished the install and took the car for a drive. i had a long-crank and the car was in limp-mode, had DTC and check engine light on. i drove maybe 1/4 mile then pulled over and shut the car off. I waited 5 mins and restarted the car. After restart i was out of "limp" and the car felt strong. The check engine light was still on so i drove about a mile turned the car off waited another 5 mins, restarted the car and all warning lights were gone.

I've put about 300 miles with the procede and have not had a problem since. Oh did i mention this car is now a BEAST

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Had the same problem at the first attempt, I let the codes clear from BMW and everything has been fine after that. Thats why I say disconnect the battery during the install ...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #5
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/B...oublecodes.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

hmmm... has to be a faulty connection somewhere or wires criss crossed.... double check pins 6 and 7 to make sure they are in the right one.... the wire that has 524 (i think thats the number) goes to pin nmber 6....and the wire with no writing on it goes to pin number 7....and then just tripple check everything is connected tightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo335i View Post
by doing that will it reset everything to the point that i cant tune on my radio without bringing it back to the dealer?
Disconnecting the battery will not clear any ECU codes. It is a proactive activity to avoid unneccessary codes. Yes, you will have to perform some basic settings ( date, time, radio ? ) after reconnecting the car to the power.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Had the same problem at the first attempt, I let the codes clear from BMW and everything has been fine after that. Thats why I say disconnect the battery during the install ...
Yeah I actually had seen your post before I did the install but I needed my car back to normal and couldn’t wait anymore. I did leave the CA transmitter in my condo between test until I forgot about it on the last attempt.

Disconnecting the battery does seem like a prudent thing to do and I may try that during my second attempt if no other problem is found.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for tips everyone! Unfortunately I'm getting ready to fly out of town for the rest of the week so I won’t get another chance to try it out until Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’m on a business trip right now and brought the harness with me while visiting one of our companies testing laboratories.

I grabbed one of our technicians and we did a pin to pin conductivity test on the wiring harness. We found an open connection between the fuse tap power lead and pin, therefore the Procede was never powered up.

Dustin explained how to extract the pin and further examination found that the wire was never stripped under the crimp of the fuse tap connector. We found a match for the connector and replaced it.

I should be good to go now and I will reinstall Saturday morning!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok after repairing the fuse tap wire the installation went smooth this morning. However about 15min into my test drive I got limp mode. I pulled over and restarted and actually noticed more of a power increase. I was hoping that would be the end of it but then the check engine light came on a few minutes later while slowing down for a red-light.

It’s showing error code 1141…I’m almost positive I didn’t cross wires 6 and 7 as I was hyper-sensitive to the wiring after last issue. Anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewflk View Post
Ok after repairing the fuse tap wire the installation went smooth this morning. However about 15min into my test drive I got limp mode. I pulled over and restarted and actually noticed more of a power increase. I was hoping that would be the end of it but then the check engine light came on a few minutes later while slowing down for a red-light.

It’s showing error code 1141…I’m almost positive I didn’t cross wires 6 and 7 as I was hyper-sensitive to the wiring after last issue. Anyone have a similar experience? Thoughts?
perhaps Vishnu can exchange the one u have with a new one... sounds like u did everything possible.

good luck.

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

1141 doesn't even show up on Vishnu's trouble code page. Looks like you managed to kill it - j/k. Better contact Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #14
e.n335
Austria
Rep

When you have the ignition on and you install the PROcede as I did on my first attempt ( had the driver side door open, CA ) you get a bunch of codes. I was not able to get rid of them with the CReader. My car has been in a state where it was not possible to drive with it.

I don't expect he killed the car but IMO he should go to somebody who has the needed BMW equipment to clear all error codes stored in the ECU. This solved my problems and could help here as well.

Now you should know somebody who knows somebody who has a sister who knows a BMW Tech ...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

OMG...I'm so frightened after this post. I dont dare opening my procede box!

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
e.n335
Austria
Rep

^ I won't offer to lay your head on my shoulder .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
andrewflk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I took it for another run and got limp mode in 15min while just cruising. So I pulled into a park and ride with the resolution to just yank it out. But when I got the ECU cover off I found the male-female splice for the 7 wire had pulled apart when I put the cover on last time. I redid the splice and bundled the wires together using tape and tie wraps in a way they can’t pull apart again.

I drove it about 50 miles without issues including some full throttle runs up through 3rd gear. Wow what an increase in power!

Like Shiv had said in a prior post almost every time there has been a problem it has been a bad harness or usually a “user” error. With me it was both!

At least I now have become quite proficient at getting the covers off and could probably remove the PROcede for service in about 15min.

Hope this doesn’t scare anyone away from the PROcede! Because of the info I found on this board at no time did I feel like I wasn’t going to get the problem resolved. It’s just all part of modifying your own car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

so all along it was just wiring issues... (bad harness crimp, and then loose connection)

glad you got it all worked out!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #19
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

When o when will the Procede be truly plug-and-play without all this BS wire splicing, pulling, etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
When o when will the Procede be truly plug-and-play without all this BS wire splicing, pulling, etc...
Wire splicing?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #21
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Wire splicing?
depends on your definition of splicing... according to dictionary.com, yes, you have to splice the wires. (splicing does not neccessarily mean cutting.)

apparently it also means to get your drink on

splice /splaɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[splahys] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, spliced, splic·ing, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to join together or unite (two ropes or parts of a rope) by the interweaving of strands.
2. to unite (timbers, spars, or the like) by overlapping and binding their ends.
3. to unite (film, magnetic tape, or the like) by butting and cementing.
4. to join or unite.
5. Genetics. to join (segments of DNA or RNA) together.
6. Informal. to unite in marriage: They'll be spliced in June.
–noun 7. a joining of two ropes or parts of a rope by splicing.
8. the union or junction made by splicing.
9. a joining or junction of two pieces of timber, spar, etc., by overlapping and fastening the ends.
10. a joining of film, electromagnetic tape, or the like.
—Idiom11. splice the main brace, Nautical. a. to issue a ration of spirits, as grog, to all hands.
b. to drink spirits.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I guess plug and play is splicing too.
Appreciate 0