E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Gas question???

12-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #67
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
I was just wondering how much gas do you keept in the tank. Me, i fill up every time i get to half full, so half full or half a tank to me is empty. I can count on 1 hand the number of times that i have went past half and even less times that i have went past a quarter tank. So i just wanted to know what every ones was driving around with in their gas tank.

Jason, my reasoning is that if I want to go some where I do not want to have to stop and get gas first to get their. And it is better for your gas pump, having to suck in all of the junk that lies at the bottom of your gas tank, that can clog up your filters and what not. Just MHO.

Or if I am late for a tee time, like many of my friends, I don't want to have to go get gas first and miss my tee time

Sorry guys but I only put fuel in my tank 2X a month and my count shows that i have driven avg 235 miles each time.

? For those of you who run it to empty or until the light comes on, how many time a month do u go to the gas station?

so tell me why if you go to any repair shop that has take off a fuel tank they will tell you about all the grit and junk found in the tank? 99% of the repair place will tell you this!

So if their is nothing no junk in the gas tank tell me why do we have to have a fuel filter why not just run gas straight to the engine?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7715273_remo...-gas-tank.html

http://www.tankonempty.com/viewstory/71
Not sure if your trolling or this is legitimate. I drive 30k miles a year and if i filled up at a half tank like you do I'd spend my life getting of freeway exits and pumping gas.

I fill up when I have 1/8 tank or about when car says i have 40 miles left I've filled up couple times at 10 Miles and one time at 0 miles but that runes your fuel pump not filter at 0.

Now you sound like my sister and my best friend and yea they fill up how you do but they smoke like chimneys only other reason is you don't like sticker shock you would rather see 30 to 40 dollar fill ups instead of 50 to 60 dollar fill ups
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #68
OaklandR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhoffm80 View Post
Not sure if your trolling or this is legitimate. I drive 30k miles a year and if i filled up at a half tank like you do I'd spend my life getting of freeway exits and pumping gas.

I fill up when I have 1/8 tank or about when car says i have 40 miles left I've filled up couple times at 10 Miles and one time at 0 miles but that runes your fuel pump not filter at 0.

Now you sound like my sister and my best friend and yea they fill up how you do but they smoke like chimneys only other reason is you don't like sticker shock you would rather see 30 to 40 dollar fill ups instead of 50 to 60 dollar fill ups
The thread was just to see what others do, but some took it as me trying to get them to buy more gas or buy something. The US Navy does the same never go below half a tank they I am sure have done more research than i but like my post shows I only get gas 2X a month and avg around 235 mile per stop. If ppl want to run on fumes that is their car they do as they please i just wanted to know what others were doing that is all, thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #69
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
there are* alot more grammer errors.. can see why you post links rather than typing something of note.
how do you make so many errors in one sentence.. 3 readings was not enough to comprehend.
and you needed to post the same link 11 times in a row? plus your crap links don't even add to the thread go troll a honda board.
I am so sorry Das that i did not major in english for you i will go back to school next year to get that degree to go along with my accounting and computer science degree to please you ok Das sorry again, my bad, dame i am stupid.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:50 AM   #70
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
my new thread should be why when ppl are wrong about something they revert to name calling and grammar and spelling like we are in a class taking a exam.

Ppl, no one is right all the time, as far as I know, no one has ever choke to death by swallowing their pride and just admitting to being wrong.

my thread was just to see what other were doing, not to sell any one any thing so do not take it personal if you are doing something different then someone else. Like they say, Do U, Do what U do!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #71
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Why are you posting these irrelevant links?

These links are about the "reserve fuel" in your tank, which is the fuel that remains in the tank when the needle is at "E". Meanwhile, nobody here advocated draining your tank beyond "E". As I said before, the fuel indicator is designed and adjusted exactly to prevent any "sludge" problems when it is run all the way to "E". (Unless you intentionally dump half a bucket of sludge into your tank that is).

So, what is it you are trying to say by this rather inane repetitive flood-posting of these irrelevant links?

Quote:
I am so sorry Das that i did not major in english
Well, apparently this is the reason you couldn't even properly understand what the articles at your links were about.

Last edited by AndreyT; 12-25-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #72
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am so sorry Das that i did not major in english for you i will go back to school next year to get that degree to go along with my accounting and computer science degree to please you ok Das sorry again, my bad, dame i am stupid.
      12-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #73
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT

I agree...

missing a tee time is the worst, messes up your whole round in my opinion.

I usually gas up when I have a quarter tank left. Makes me feel like im paying less for gas. lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #74
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh69 View Post
i never fill up until i see ---- on the dashboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Be careful with that. I ran a 328 loaner down to 16 miles and then it wouldn't start. I had a 7 mile drive to the dealer and hoped to deliver on fumes. I ended up needing a flat bed to get the car back there. Kind of embarrassing
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I've been on 0 miles left for about 5 miles once. Didn't think I'd make it to the gas station but I did. I usually don't fill up till I'm in the 1/4 tank area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
This. Those people who think that their fuel pump will last longer because they fill up more often are nuts, and/or believe in myths and old wive's tales. I've been running my tank to empty for nearly 100,000 miles without issue. Sometimes to when "---" shows on the miles remaining counter. I almost always run it below 1/8th of a tank before I fuel up.

I did the same thing with my last car for over 250k miles, and the same thing with my old honda, which had the original fuel pump to 210k miles until I changed it this year to support a bigger engine I put in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
When the ding goes on, or I see good gas prices. I've been to 0miles a couple times lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rco View Post
+1

I never fill up before the light is solid orange. I've hit " --- " a couple of times. Minus 15 miles is achievable. I think the tank holds 17.2 gallons or so. I typically fill up with about 16 to 16.5 gallons.

The fuel pump will be sufficiently cooled. The pump is cooled by the fuel it's pumping, if i'm not mistaken... And I don't think there is that much dirt in the gas anyways, nowadays. The gas has to meet very very stringent requirements. Remember, we live in 2013... Not in 1943...
[QUOTE=AndreyT;13206692]Why are you posting these irrelevant links?

These links are about the "reserve fuel" in your tank, which is the fuel that remains in the tank when the needle is at "E". Meanwhile, nobody here advocated draining your tank beyond "E". As I said before, the fuel indicator is designed and adjusted exactly to prevent any "sludge" problems when it is run all the way to "E". (Unless you intentionally dump half a bucket of sludge into your tank that is).

So I take it that no one here does this even though they posted it, mmm.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #75
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Again, it is just a simple post to see what others are doing, then it turns into name calling and spell checking lol crazy, andrey, bling singh, das, jason n mike y if the thread is so stupid why do you keep replying to it? You must comprehend, now that makes you what? Stupid, or you really like it, so please for those who do not like the thread move on, do not reply with your smart comments no one wants to read it, you are no help to ppl who may not know something about the thread, go somewhere else and vent your rage, it is sad that everytime someone on this site post something and someone does not like it they respond with all this negative stuff, if you do not like the thread and you think it is stupid skip it go to another that u may like.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #76
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Why are you posting these irrelevant links?

So I take it that no one here does this even though they posted it, mmm.
Well, I guess, just like you said, English is definitely not your major.

Read my lips one more time: nobody here advocates draining your tank beyond the point when the fuel level gauge reports "Empty". (Please, look up "to advocate" and "beyond" in your favorite dictionary.)

I don't understand what point you are trying to make by quoting people who claim they drained their fuel tank to the point where the gauge says "Empty".

Now, do you understand the difference between: 1) fuel needle on the dashboard pointing at "E", and 2) the fuel tank being actually empty?

Do you understand the difference between: 1) draining the tank to the point where the needle points at "E", and 2) draining the tank beyond that point?

Do you understand the difference between: 1) occasionally using up the fuel reserve in an emergency situation, and 2) advocating routine use of fuel reserve?

I sincerely hope that you can answer "yes" to at least some of these questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #77
JDane07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i (sold), MK7 GTI

Usually fill up w/ a quarter tank or so to go. Really depends though, I'm not very anal about filling up at a specific time.. just whenever it's convenient for me.
Old E90 Thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...first+e90+m580
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #78
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Well, I guess, just like you said, English is definitely not your major.

Read my lips one more time: nobody here advocates draining your tank beyond the point when the fuel level gauge reports "Empty". (Please, look up "to advocate" and "beyond" in your favorite dictionary.)

I don't understand what point you are trying to make by quoting people who claim they drained their fuel tank to the point where the gauge says "Empty".

Now, do you understand the difference between: 1) fuel needle on the dashboard pointing at "E", and 2) the fuel tank being actually empty?

Do you understand the difference between: 1) draining the tank to the point where the needle points at "E", and 2) draining the tank beyond that point?

Do you understand the difference between: 1) occasionally using up the fuel reserve in an emergency situation, and 2) advocating routine use of fuel reserve?

I sincerely hope that you can answer "yes" to at least some of these questions.
Dude go away! Leave me alone, u do not like the post so go away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Be careful with that. I ran a 328 loaner down to 16 miles and then it wouldn't start. I had a 7 mile drive to the dealer and hoped to deliver on fumes. I ended up needing a flat bed to get the car back there. Kind of embarrassing
Do U UNDERSTAND!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #79
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Damn 4 pages of talk about filling up gas tanks guys. Damn, just drive the car fill it up when you see fit. End of thread
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #80
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

until it shows 0 miles
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #81
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

LoL funny topic!

I fill up when the car bongs first time.

I get around 350 miles till it bongs to fuel, and I wish I had a bigger tank to make that 500 Miles.

I want to visit the petrol station as little as possible. Why would you fill up when you are 1/2???? That means you are filling up nearly twice as often as you need to!

Either way, it sounds like you have been drinking the cool aid about running your tank to empty and now out of paranoia only use half your range ....
To each there own
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #82
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Dude u change 1 car and found nothing these mechanic change hundreds, the truth does not help ppl who do not want to be help smh
Actually, I've changed fuel pumps on 2 of my own cars and two of my friend's cars. In each case, the the pump was changed to support a larger motor, not failure. and in each case, the tanks were clean inside (no sludge). 3 of the 4 cars had over 100,000 miles and mine had 210k. and 3 of the 4 cars had an access hatch under the back seat so you didn't even need to jack up the car to change the pump.

sludge isn't going to find its way into the tank unless some foreign material is put in there. gas is a solvent, so I suspect that's why I've always seen clean tanks (other than maybe a few sand particles).

Though it is possible that pumping contaminated gas into your tank can cause sludge, but then it wouldn't matter when you were filling up your tank, weather it was on E or you had a half tank left.

If fuel pumps were actually that susceptible to failure from running low on gas, you'd see people's cars breaking down all the time, as many people only put a few dollars of gas in their cars at a time, and are always running on empty. The fact is you don't see this happening because it's very rare, and likely NOT caused by running low on gas all the time.

Really, the only fuel pump failures I can recall, are from BMW owners, and those failures deal with external pumps, not in-tank pumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #83
wooddog44
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The more air in the tank the more surface area and air for water to condense on out of the atmosphere. I fill mine at half unless I am on a highway trip.
Also its psychologically hurts less to put a half a tank in than a full tank when you look at the cost though logically not any different.
I was always told (by Dad, who else...) that keeping the tank (no less than) half full reduces the surface area on the inside and minimizes condensation on colder days.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #84
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I literaly fill my tank till it shows ---. Even at that I risk it driving another 20 miles after but its all freeway and that helps --- its scary at times. So far I have not been stranded... (knock on wood)

I have to stop doing this I know.... This should be on my new resolution list for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #85
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I always run down to empty (15miles remaining) and then fill up to three quarters, hate filling it up to max, the car becomes too heavy... Extra weight is not what the e93 needs...
      12-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #86
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
no wonder my e90 feels like a feather all the time no spare tire and no gas...LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #87
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
I run my car until the light turns on and fill it to the top.

Everyone says to have extra in there just in case... But then again, most of us live in the city where there are gas stations every 2-5 miles. I would imagine if the tank was empty and the pump was continuously trying to suck in fluid, it would be bad.
      12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #88
OaklandR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
So can any one tell me why we have a fuel filter on the car?
Appreciate 0