E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > New Owner: Non-OEM HID + turn signals/high's don't work

09-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
ernald711
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Sedan

Lightbulb New Owner: Non-OEM HID + turn signals/high's don't work

Recently got a E90 2007 Pre-LCI Sedan and i'm sure it came with H7 Halogens, but when I got it from a private party it had on Xenon HID's (pictured below) and the turn signals (in the headlight) and high beams are not working. The turn signals also are blinking fast and the Active light code is going off.

I'm not a newbie too car forums as I've been on several for the past 15 years, but I'm trully new to these fancy headlights as I previously came from an Lancer Evolution background (OEM HIDS) and haven't been really into lighting. I'm still learning and have a lot to catch up on. Just looking up the words "LCI" and "Dymanic lighting" was already something that gave me a headache to understand which models it came in and stuff. I have been searching with no luck for my problem.

I have a picture below of the headlight and the script "BMW DYNAMIC XENON D1S...", which I researched on this forum, and found that it is active lighting, but not sure if it was retrofitted to this car or is OEM. Is there a way to get the turn signals/high beams working on this car without having to rip out the HID Kit or is it just a crappy kit and should I just go back to Halogens?

I will eventually go to some BMW spot if I don't have the answers, but I'd rather do this myself.
Attached Images

Last edited by ernald711; 09-06-2015 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Pics of headlight might help distinguish what the OEM light was (halogen vs xenon)
      09-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
ernald711
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
Pics of headlight might help distinguish what the OEM light was (halogen vs xenon)
Here is the pic of the headlight in various angles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
ernald711
Rep

No headlight tech guru's on here?

Looked up the problem myself. Not sure if the car came this way, but planning on running OSRAM CBI, since this is a D1S housing, and redo the OEM wiring. If it doesn't work then I'll go ahead do the re-pinning myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

im assuming you have a 328i which most did not come with standard pre-lci xenons. If you have a 335i then those xenon headlights came standard.

Lets assume you do have a 328i. Your car came with standard H7 halogens as you might already know. IF the previous owners bought these OEM Xenons, most likely they opted to just install the xenon with no AHL and no adaptive ability (meaning the projectors dont move when the car is turning or the headlights don't auto adjust itself). I say most likely because this is a lot of work to do for something so minor and also the parts you need would be a hassle to obtain.

As far as your problem, to get these headlights working properly, follow this thread. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695805

Lets start with high beams, if you scroll down the page youll see post #7 with a pic of a pin diagram for the headlight harness. Pin number 6 is high beam and number 5 is Bixenon shutter. You would need to swap these pins in the headlight harness to work. But from your pic it looks like the previous owner just cut these wires and used a butt connector to connect to the red/black wires for powering the bi-xenon projector which can also work theoretically. My first option would be to look at that connection, make sure you are actually getting power. The red wire should be connected to the wire that should be Pin 5 from your harness, and the black wire is your ground which should be attached to the pin 4 wire. In simple terms make sure that dark brown wire is pin 4 and that light tanish brown wire is pin 5.

If all your wires are connected properly, have someone around your area who can code see if they car has been coded properly to run these OEM Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
ernald711
Rep

Thanks LocDawgg, and yes, I do have an 328i, which I might've forgotten to mention. I have been looking up that thread for a while trying to understand it. I got the right side working, but don't think their is power to the left. Hopefully everything will work out fine in the end.

Last edited by ernald711; 09-08-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
ernald711
Rep

Done!!! All lights are all working! HID's were working before, but now turn signals, parking lights and AE's are all functioning properly! Not bad for a headlight/BMW newbie. Oh and they are adaptive which is weird, because I thought my model didn't have adaptive headlights.

Now I need to upgrade the AE's (just want them whiter) and the possibly the other bulbs!!
Attached Images

Last edited by ernald711; 09-13-2015 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
ernald711
Rep

One last question. My lights are Adaptive and work with no issues, even with this aftermarket HID kit. Does that mean that my car originally came with D1S Xenons? I read somewhere that If you have AHL, it should come Xenon OEM, as they don't have halogen AHLs.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernald711 View Post
One last question. My lights are Adaptive and work with no issues, even with this aftermarket HID kit. Does that mean that my car originally came with D1S Xenons? I read somewhere that If you have AHL, it should come Xenon OEM, as they don't have halogen AHLs.
If you have AHL then either they did a complete retrofit with coding or else previous owner was just too cheap to buy oem ballasts and hard wired some aftermarket ballasts into your oem equipped headlights. I'm going to assume they were equipped with xenons from the beginning.

You can check what options were paired with your car with a vin check. Example

http://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
ernald711
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
If you have AHL then either they did a complete retrofit with coding or else previous owner was just too cheap to buy oem ballasts and hard wired some aftermarket ballasts into your oem equipped headlights. I'm going to assume they were equipped with xenons from the beginning.

You can check what options were paired with your car with a vin check. Example

http://www.bmwvin.com/
Thanks djbobbless. The link is down, but I did find another link similar called "bimmer.work" and my car did end up having Xenon's from the start.

Now why did the previous owner ended up installing aftermarket HID's is the mystery? Ripping these out soon and going back to Xenon's (OSRAM CBI) soon, so if anyone wants these they will be in the FS Thread soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernald711 View Post
Thanks djbobbless. The link is down, but I did find another link similar called "bimmer.work" and my car did end up having Xenon's from the start.

Now why did the previous owner ended up installing aftermarket HID's is the mystery? Ripping these out soon and going back to Xenon's (OSRAM CBI) soon, so if anyone wants these they will be in the FS Thread soon!
Some people just don't deserve to own these cars. Glad to know you figured it out though.
Appreciate 0