E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > *Update* more E91 Pics *NO RAILS!*

02-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #67
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

oh man very nice dude i like that alot! Makes it look very sexy.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #68
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Damn i was to late...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #69
David Rivera
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Touring Alpine White

Please help with part numbers

I am new to this site and really appreciate the effort you put into sharing your info.
I just bought a new 328i T Alpine White and I want to remove the roof rack. The local dealer can't find the part numbers for the new replacement strips without the holes. Can you please help me. I am also goning to have my body shop paint the roof black between the rails and also the spoiler. I'll post the pics when I'm done. Thanks
David Rivera
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #70
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

PN are listed above. I am not sure I understand you completely. Whet are you looking for exactly?

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #71
MPoWeRMAN
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91

Ok, I removed my roof rails today! took me two hours to do, and I need to make a correction to ChiTowns list of tools, the torx is a number 25 not a number 9. Otherwise, it happened just like he said. everything went fine, and I am very happy with the way it looks. I will post pics as soon as my roof moldings come in, after I have them painted and install them! I am going to go to my dealer on Monday, and let them know it took me 2 hours even though they quoted me 11 hours!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #72
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I like the Panaramic moon roof, wonder if both roll back or is it just the main moon roof.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #73
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
oh man, you really notice the difference. car looks a lot better without them. nice DIY
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #74
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPoWeRMAN View Post
Ok, I removed my roof rails today! took me two hours to do, and I need to make a correction to ChiTowns list of tools, the torx is a number 25 not a number 9. Otherwise, it happened just like he said. everything went fine, and I am very happy with the way it looks. I will post pics as soon as my roof moldings come in, after I have them painted and install them! I am going to go to my dealer on Monday, and let them know it took me 2 hours even though they quoted me 11 hours!
BRAVO

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #75
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0 View Post
I like the Panaramic moon roof, wonder if both roll back or is it just the main moon roof.
It is a 2 step process. Press the MR button once and the first section goes back. Hit it a second time and the second section goes back. Also, when you use the tilt feature both sections tilt up. Never thought much about it when I bought the car but I love it now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #76
beh-em-veh-808
Rep
Drives: E91 328iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Thanks!
Less body-roll also, since I removed about 50 pounds that high up on the car.
The car looks very clean and sporty w/o the roof rack. I have an E91 328iT with ZSP. However, don't have the guts to do what you did.

Do the racks/rails really weigh 50 lbs???? Seems like they're just aluminum squre tubings, maybe 20 lbs, max.

I would imagine that the ride is much quiter now, especially at high speeds (60 mph and up). Have you noticed a change on that respect?
      03-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #77
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the successful removal of the racks.

Now, hurry up with those pix, will you!!!!

03-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #78
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post
Press the MR button once and the first section goes back. Hit it a second time and the second section goes back. .

Actuall I had it wrong. This is the way it operates. I never looked at it from the back seat before I type the post and have only had the car for 2 months. I wish I had the guts to take off my rails.

It is a 2 step process. Press the MR button once and the moon roof opens like a normal one. Hit it a second time and the moon roof goes back even further. All in all it opens about 50% wider. Also, when you use the tilt feature both sections tilt up.

Are people talking to body shops or the dealer about having the rails removed? It seems you might get the best price if you went directly to a body shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #79
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

Quote:

Actuall I had it wrong. This is the way it operates. I never looked at it from the back seat before I type the post and have only had the car for 2 months. I wish I had the guts to take off my rails.

It is a 2 step process. Press the MR button once and the moon roof opens like a normal one. Hit it a second time and the moon roof goes back even further. All in all it opens about 50% wider. Also, when you use the tilt feature both sections tilt up.

Are people talking to body shops or the dealer about having the rails removed? It seems you might get the best price if you went directly to a body shop.
I've had my E91 328iT for about 3 months now. I never knew about the "Tilt Up" feature/function. But then, I haven't read the owner's manual, yet. Can you please describe how I can activate the "tilt-up" feature?

Much thanks in advance!!!

BTW, interesting handle/name "Badnews"????
      03-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #80
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beh-em-veh-808 View Post
I've had my E91 328iT for about 3 months now. I never knew about the "Tilt Up" feature/function. But then, I haven't read the owner's manual, yet. Can you please describe how I can activate the "tilt-up" feature?

Much thanks in advance!!!

BTW, interesting handle/name "Badnews"????
Using the moon roof button, push the button straight in (up) and both sections tilt. Push it again and it returns to closed position. I believe the interior panel has to be opened first. Pushing the button back opens everything in sequence. One step for each time you press it. Push it forward and it reverses the process
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #81
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

Quote:
Using the moon roof button, push the button straight in (up) and both sections tilt. Push it again and it returns to closed position. I believe the interior panel has to be opened first. Pushing the button back opens everything in sequence. One step for each time you press it. Push it forward and it reverses the process
Got it, thanks a bunch!!!!!

Push up for tilt-up feature. It doesn't get more intuitive than that!!!..

:rocks: :rocks: :rocks:
      03-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #82
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

Quote:
Actually, when I finally tried this function here's what I found on my car...

Push the moonroof button straight up: Tilt up (moonroof panels).
Push the moonroof button straight up, again: roof liner closes; but moonroof panels stay in the Tilt-Up position.

It took me about 5-6 different iterations/tries until I finally figured out that to close the moonroof panels back down (from tilt up), I need to push the moonroof button FORWARD, not up (again).

badnews...does your moonroof operate the same way as what I just described??? Or is it just me or my car????
      03-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #83
E91AWD
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess I could try to wiggle my way out of this by saing that it rains here all the time and in fact I have never used the moonroof; but unfortunately that isn't true. I have had this car for 10 weeks and it is clear I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have had 3 -4 days that I opened the moonroof and a day that I used the tilt up feature, but I must have been asleep. I hope not, because I was driving. I'd prefer to think I was just giving my driving 100% of my attention. Thanks for straighting me out.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #84
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

No worries, and hey, don't beat your head to death about it .

To be purely honest, I did not even think that the tilt up feature existed in the "Pano" roof. I has a suspicion that it might, but never bothered to try to look for it.

There are still tons of features that I don't know or may not know about yet, after 3 months of owning the car. But then, I haven't read the owner's manual --- cover to cover. I only refer to it when I really have to.

Quote:

I guess I could try to wiggle my way out of this by saing that it rains here all the time and in fact I have never used the moonroof; but unfortunately that isn't true. I have had this car for 10 weeks and it is clear I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have had 3 -4 days that I opened the moonroof and a day that I used the tilt up feature, but I must have been asleep. I hope not, because I was driving. I'd prefer to think I was just giving my driving 100% of my attention. Thanks for straighting me out.

03-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #85
beh-em-veh-808
Rep

Another thing Badnews...

Since you're up in "rain country" in Portland, you might have used and mastered rain wiper functions.

I've noticed that the slowest (least frequent) wipe setting is still too fast/too frequent for me.

My experience is that when the car is in motion, on the slowest/least frequent setting, the blades wipe about once ever 2 -3 seconds, but once the car is stopped (e.g. at a stop sign or red light) it slows to the 4-5 second frequency.

I'm wondering if there's any way to admust the frequency so that the wipers activate at a rate of about once every 4-6 seconds....when the car is moving.

Quote:

03-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #86
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Very nice!
Glad to see that some else DIY, it's not too bad to do, and very satisfying to know how much you saved from being ripped off from the dealer.

where's the pics?

If that's the case, sorry for the mistake about the torx..... and thanks for the correction.

03-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #87
ElCapitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 328xi & 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Very nice!
Glad to see that some else DIY, it's not too bad to do, and very satisfying to know how much you saved from being ripped off from the dealer.

where's the pics?

If that's the case, sorry for the mistake about the torx..... and thanks for the correction.

Can you edit the first post about the torx size for newbies that don't read whole threads? Please.

2008 E90 335i | Silver Grey | Terra | Piano Black | ZSP | ZKO | ZAT | ZKI | ZPL | ZKL |
2007 E91 328xi | Black Sapphire | Terra | ALuminium | ZKO | ZKI | ZPL
Past Cars: 2004 ///M3, 2002 E46 330xi, 2003 GTI 1.8T, 1996 Neon
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #88
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beh-em-veh-808 View Post
Do the racks/rails really weigh 50 lbs???? Seems like they're just aluminum squre tubings, maybe 20 lbs, max.

I would imagine that the ride is much quiter now, especially at high speeds (60 mph and up). Have you noticed a change on that respect?
Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but they are not tubing, they are solid aluminum, so they do have some weight to them, more than I would have thought.

* torx size edited, funny it took almost a year for this to be corrected.