E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need help - refused approved warranty for 335i as apparently was chipped

11-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
olegmukhanov
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i E92 Coupe

Need help - refused approved warranty for 335i as apparently was chipped

Dear forum,

About 6 months ago I bought a lovely low mileage 335i SE auto as an Approved Used from a dealer. It is a low mileage car and had no problems with the exception of occasional hard auto shifting into the 3rd.

Anyway it didn't bother me too much so I asked BMW to look into that only at my annual service today - they confirmed that there is a problem but refused to do the warranty repair as apparently there is / was a chip installed. One thing I know for sure is that I didn't pay an extra for the approved warranty to install a chip and lose it.

Therefore the question is - could it be that during the approved used preparation BMW didn't notice that there is / was a chip (it is a clean low mileage car with 1 previous owner so I could see that happening) and only discovered that during the in-depth diagnostics in connection with my gearbox problem? Or could that just be an excuse not to provide the service? (guess warranty fix of an auto gearbox on a 56 reg 335i is not very economical)

I just want to get this problem fixed instead of finding who has done that as honestly couldn't care less.

Therefore dear forum members have you been in a similar situation and whether the above could be the case?

Thank you,
Oleg
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Back in 2007 I told people to be careful when buying a used 335i because all the @sshats who would tune their leased cars may shoulder you with a problem used car. It's entirely possible your car was tuned/chipped when new and either the dealer didn't notice when it was turned in OR they ignored it (leasee was a "good" customer so the dealer didn't want to saddle him with a steep end-of-lease charge over the tune.)

Good luck with this. I would want more info from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

What does the "approved" part of the sale warranted ? Seems like selling a car as "approved" when it is actually not under warranty anymore because it has been "tampered with" is not ethical, and could very well be plain illegal.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Is the selling dealer and the denying-service dealer the same? If so, unless they can prove YOU chipped it after they sold to you, I'd think that was on them for falsely representing the car at the time of sale.
Appreciate 0