E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > White Carbon Fiber aka Fiberglass

08-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
Mr.335iCoupe
Q(0_0Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Thumbs up White Carbon Fiber aka Fiberglass

ok so here is the problem, I prepared some test objects "97 civic hatchback spoiler" and bought the needed supplies, resin, hardener, and fiber glass. 1st I sanded down the spoiler, then I applied resin mixed with hardener, allowed it to dry a little bit and finally laid down the fiber glass. This is where the problem begins, to protect the fiber glass from the weather, I applied a 2nd coat of resin w/hardener on top of the fiber glass. 30 seconds later, it seems as if the resin had a yellowish color! But when I looked closely, the fiber glass actually absorbed the substance! It looked like crap afterwards because you could see the chipped paint of the original spoiler along with other scratches.. I then tried a couple other experiments, spraying a couple layers of clear coat, nothing worked.. Is there anyway of successfully applying resin on the fiber glass without it soaking up? My other option is laminate, could I just cover the fiber glass with laminate and apply resin over the laminate? something tells me resin won't stick.. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the before and after. Btw, my brother and I have this crazy idea of opening a company that creates custom carbon fiber body kits, carbon fiber e90/e92 roofs, is250/is350 roofs, etc. It might actually work . Does this process that I've just explained work with carbon fiber? Or would carbon fiber absorb it like fiber glass? thanks for advice in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
To develop the real deal carbon fiber body kits is going to be extremely expensive. And you'll need true CF fabric and then adhere it to the molds and put it in the huge kelms (ovens).
Appreciate 0