Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Rotation

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

Tire Rotation

Hi
I have 335i e90 with sports so I have different size tires on front and back. 6-7 month back I switched on non-RFT (Goodyear Assymetric) tires.

Are we suppose to rotate tires? I mean switching front left with front right and same for back. I have not done that for my previous set of tires.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

No. And since you can't rotate front to back, the usual method is to replace the two tires which wear out first - usually the rears on a rwd BMW.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I think the only way it will be of any benefit to the life of the tire is if you remove the tires from the rims and switch the inside edge to become the outside edge...I think the primary wear issue is on the inside edge of the rear from the negative camber...that is assuming the car is aligned properly and tire pressure is kept where it should be. I intend to do that at about 7,500 miles with my new non-RFTs...in hopes of getting an extra 6 months-year out of the tires. My RFTs in the rear were dead at 15,000 miles...but only on the inside edge.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
I think the only way it will be of any benefit to the life of the tire is if you remove the tires from the rims and switch the inside edge to become the outside edge...I think the primary wear issue is on the inside edge of the rear from the negative camber...that is assuming the car is aligned properly and tire pressure is kept where it should be. I intend to do that at about 7,500 miles with my new non-RFTs...in hopes of getting an extra 6 months-year out of the tires. My RFTs in the rear were dead at 15,000 miles...but only on the inside edge.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

WIth staggered-size, assymetric tires, you can only rotate them by dismounting and remounting, and that only if they are not also directional. If they are directional AND assymetric, you are stuck with them wearing on the inside edges early.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
2 3pair
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: as often as possible

But if they're directional and symmetric, you can still swap them, right? I just replaced some Goodyear GS-D3s and they were more worn on the inside as expected. It makes sense that you could get more life out of the tire by swapping them at least once during the life of the tire. Should only cost about $50 to have them remounted on opposite sides.
      06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 3pair View Post
But if they're directional and symmetric, you can still swap them, right?
Absolutely.

The stock RE050A's are asymmetric and directional, so don't rotate them.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

The only way to be able to rotate your tires is to run a square setup with same tire sizes all around, but I'd just buy two new rears, and then later down the road two new fronts.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Absolutely.

The stock RE050A's are asymmetric and directional, so don't rotate them.
This is incorrect. The stock tires are asymmetrical but they are NOT directional, so you can (if you choose) rotate them side to side on the same axle). The sidewall clearly indicates which side needs to be mounted facing out (asymmetrical) but there is no rotation arrow (directional) which means they can rotate in either direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
This is incorrect. The stock tires are asymmetrical but they are NOT directional, so you can (if you choose) rotate them side to side on the same axle). The sidewall clearly indicates which side needs to be mounted facing out (asymmetrical) but there is no rotation arrow (directional) which means they can rotate in either direction.
+1.

Asymmetric = there is an inside and outside. Directional = they are designed to rotate one direction.

NON-directional asymmetric or symmetric tires can be rotated left and right (and front to back if front and rear sizes are the same).

Directional tires can only be rotated front to back IF the front and rear sizes are the same. If front and rear sizes are different, then no rotation is possible without dismounting the tires from the wheels and flipping them around.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

A somewhat related question: I've got a 328xi. I was planning on getting 162's (I have the stock 16" rims now with same tire size all around) with rim widths of 8" and 8.5" (like they come when you buy stock: staggered). Now, if I put the same tire tire on all 4 rims (like 235 or so), can I rotate these front to rear (assuming directional tires on them)? I know the rim widths are .5" different, but with same tire size on them, would I have any issues? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
[QUOTE=VTECaddict;7581838]Directional = they are designed to rotate one direction.QUOTE]

so before you go in reverse, do you have to swap the front two wheels around? J/K.