E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > help needed with rattling/crunching noise on e90 330i

09-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
oxing
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

help needed with rattling/crunching noise on e90 330i

hi all, this is my first forum, and completely new to this realm....

i really need some help from someone, i am about to purchase a bmw e90 330i on an 06 plate.... i was all set to buy it but then whilst on the test drive, i noticed a rattling or crunching noise, usually on acceleration... i could not figure out what it was...

ive looked all over the internet to find an answere i cant find one, i also had the guy send it to the garage, he ran it for about half an hour couldnt hear anything, checked the exhust still nothing and he also took it for a drive couldnt hear anything.... the guy said it might be the butterfly valve... other internet sights have sighted a waste gate valve... but i thought that was only on turbos....

but i defo did, and so did the guy i took the test drive with... i also noticed a slight brief throttle hesitation when planting my foot, whilst on the test drive.

can anyone help... or has anyone had the problem and know what it is, and how much it will cost me to fix?

the only thing ive seen on the forum that sounds remotly close to what i experianced is a guy called three_thirty_i... i dont know how to add his post but i read it and there was nothing there....

please help,

many thanks

oxsing

Last edited by oxing; 09-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: trying to get this out to as many people as possible so i can get some help
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If you're not happy, don't buy it!

I had an 06 E90 330i from new, and it never made any crunching noises for sure.

There is a slight throttle delay as that N52 engine is a throttle-less design with Valvetronic, so you don't even have a throttle / butterfly to rattle.

The delay is only really noticeable at low revs if you plant your foot hard though.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Hey oxing, you are going about this purchase the way I should have - research is critical and getting as much user feedback etc. But, bear in mind that there is a ton of stuff on the internet - some relevant and some not so much, the trick is to carefully determine what is valid and what is not valid. I would test drive another 330i and see how it drives by comparison - drive as many as you can for that matter so that you can hear and feel the differences from car to car. Drove a car just like mine and the same age but with slightly higher mileage, it did not suffer from the pinking, but did have some slight hesitations or rather, drops in power through the revs, and the car just felt a bit tired compared to mine, hard to explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
If you're not happy, don't buy it!

I had an 06 E90 330i from new, and it never made any crunching noises for sure.

There is a slight throttle delay as that N52 engine is a throttle-less design with Valvetronic, so you don't even have a throttle / butterfly to rattle.

The delay is only really noticeable at low revs if you plant your foot hard though.
Yep, mine had 46k km on the clock when I bought it just over two years ago, and very early on I noticed that horrible hesitation at lower revs when planting your foot - very disappointing and annoying for what is technically a performance car essentially. My Wife's E46 320i does not suffer from this at all, and pulls cleanly and smoothly throughout the rev range. I have read that my car's issues could be caused by a problem with the three stage intake which if I understand it properly, does what the DISA valve would do. So therefore the first or lowest stage is maybe not working properly and causing the pinking and then so is the second stage which is therefore affecting the midrage performance. It really is frustrating since BMW did have the car for this very problem and could not solve it while the car was still under motorplan. So now I have to ultimately sort this out at my own cost and this means having diagnostics run in the hopes that it reveals anything, so this is my next step and of course if anything does come up I will post about it. When this car is behaving and I am not hearing the pinking or experiencing the hesitation, it really is a magic car, but this has to be sorted out if I am going to continue owning this car!

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Just out of interest. I finally had my car checked with a tuner's diagnostics machine which apparently pics up quite a bit more information than the standard diagnostics machines at most agents, and they took the car for a drive while the diagnostics was being read, so basically a live read of what was all going on. This is what they found.

Engine is not pinking, the DISA flaps are fluttering and making constant corrections but incorrectly which is causing the pinking type noise and causing the engine to run less smoothly overall. Then more worryingly, the thermostat is not working properly and forcing the engine to run too cool, so there is some over-fuelling going on, especially on colder days. The Valvetronic motor is apparently 10% out of spec, not too sure what that means, but apparently can be sorted out with software, also not sure - ECU flash?! Cylinders 1 and 5 have some strange injector / valve behaviour, so either those injectors aren't working properly or the valves are not seating correctly - but this will need further investigation.

The first thing that needs to be done is to replace the two DISA flaps and the thermostat - then run tests again to see if this solves the problems.

At least now I know I am not imagining things!

Appreciate 0