E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > need new battery, help please

11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

need new battery, help please

so i have an 08 e90. every couple days my when i start my car i get "increased battery dischange" shows up on my nav screen. does this mean i need a new battery soon? also the clock resets everytime and its getting annoying lol. If i do need a new a battery, what one do i need from like advanced auto or pepboys? i rather not spend 500 at bmw.... also i heard i need to register the new battery...how do i go about doing this? sorry if this has been posted before but i really dont know a lot about this kind of stuff. i just drive my car lol. i dont know a lot of technical stuff about it.
      11-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
laser
Commodore
Rep
Drives: 328i / S2000 / 330i M - Sport

Assuming you are out of warranty its time to locate a well recommended indy shop ...... I believe the battery does need to be "registered" on the 08 .... I know it does on our 09
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Assuming you are out of warranty its time to locate a well recommended indy shop ...... I believe the battery does need to be "registered" on the 08 .... I know it does on our 09
yup, out of warranty i was hoping i can do it myself....
      11-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

You MUST get the battery registered to he car. Either at a Indy shop or the dealer.

Get a battery wherever you please, you get what you pay for. Regardless, get it registered.

I just spent $300 at the dealer for this. My Indy wanted 300 as well so whatever, took it to the dealer. My local dealer is pretty decent. OEM batteries run about 200 bucks.
      11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer
You MUST get the battery registered to he car. Either at a Indy shop or the dealer.

Get a battery wherever you please, you get what you pay for. Regardless, get it registered.

I just spent $300 at the dealer for this. My Indy wanted 300 as well so whatever, took it to the dealer. My local dealer is pretty decent. OEM batteries run about 200 bucks.
Wow i thought it was more. 300 not bad at dealer for oem. What signs did you have to get new one
      11-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Batteries are covered under warranty from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
They're considered a wear item and not covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
That's what I thought, same with spark plugs, coil packs, belts, t-stat, waterpump?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
That's what I thought, same with spark plugs, coil packs, belts, t-stat, waterpump?
Water pump damn well not be considered a "wear" item. Next ill hear turbos are a wear item.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

240 at an Indy used a Interstate it has a better warranty.

If you buy a coding setup you can DIY it.(the registration and install)
If you buy the same battery at a store it runs around 160 to 180.
You should consider buying a battery tender as these cars are
battery hogs . A ctek 3300 is considered one of the the better ones.
This is really needed if you don't do much highway driving or leave the
car set for long periods you really need the battery teneder.
Also locking the car and getting the key fob away from it will cause it to go to
sleep mode faster and be less drain on the battery.
I think the replacement was a MTB92R/h8. Your original may or may not be different mine had a 92 amp hour capacity.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-29-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you buy a coding setup you can DIY it.(the registration and install)
If you buy the same battery at a store it runs around 160 to 180.
You should consider buying a battery tender as these cars are
battery hogs . A ctek 3300 is considered one of the the better ones.
This is really needed if you don't do much highway driving or leave the
car set for long periods you really need the battery teneder.
Also locking the car and getting the key fob away from it will cause it to go to
sleep mode faster and be less drain on the battery.
I think the replacement was a MTB92R/h8. Your original may or may not be different mine had a 92 amp hour capacity.
why is everything suck a pain in the ass with bmw! lol
      11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Here's a thread where a guy wrote software to initialize the battery to your car .. and the sw is free...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727091
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Can anyone answer if the increased battery drain and clock reset is a definite sign that the battery needs to be replaced? My car is doing the exact same thing right now. I am not sure if I need a new battery or just to get a trickle charger for it. I am supposed to take my car in this weekend so I would like to get some advice on here first before BMW goes ahead and says I need a replacement for 300$. My car is an 08 e92 with 40,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
Can anyone answer if the increased battery drain and clock reset is a definite sign that the battery needs to be replaced? My car is doing the exact same thing right now. I am not sure if I need a new battery or just to get a trickle charger for it. I am supposed to take my car in this weekend so I would like to get some advice on here first before BMW goes ahead and says I need a replacement for 300$. My car is an 08 e92 with 40,000 miles.
+1
      11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

EricP3: Do you drive your car frequently? Is it still on the original battery? If yes to both, and you've not changed your driving habits lately, then I'd say you're due for a battery. Across several vehicles and a couple decades, I've typically seen batteries die at around the four year mark. I heed the warning signs if any show up, as it's no fun getting stranded when the battery finally goes toes-up.

A trickle charger is good when a vehicle typically sits for multiple days between being driven; i.e. if your BMW was a weekend fun car that you took out on Saturdays, but otherwise it sat in your garage. Also they're good when putting a vehicle up for a while, such as storing a motorcycle for the winter.

Is it worth eking out a few more weeks on this battery, waiting until it fully fails before replacing it? The most recent battery I replaced died with no warning; I ran a couple errands at lunch one day, pulled into a coffee place on the way back to work and when I came back out my car (non-BMW) was 100% completely dead electrically. Thankfully I was in the same plaza as a repair shop and sorted it out easily, it could have been a lot worse. Imagine if it were Saturday evening with your date in the car? (or wife & kids if appropriate).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb
EricP3: Do you drive your car frequently? Is it still on the original battery? If yes to both, and you've not changed your driving habits lately, then I'd say you're due for a battery. Across several vehicles and a couple decades, I've typically seen batteries die at around the four year mark. I heed the warning signs if any show up, as it's no fun getting stranded when the battery finally goes toes-up.

A trickle charger is good when a vehicle typically sits for multiple days between being driven; i.e. if your BMW was a weekend fun car that you took out on Saturdays, but otherwise it sat in your garage. Also they're good when putting a vehicle up for a while, such as storing a motorcycle for the winter.

Is it worth eking out a few more weeks on this battery, waiting until it fully fails before replacing it? The most recent battery I replaced died with no warning; I ran a couple errands at lunch one day, pulled into a coffee place on the way back to work and when I came back out my car (non-BMW) was 100% completely dead electrically. Thankfully I was in the same plaza as a repair shop and sorted it out easily, it could have been a lot worse. Imagine if it were Saturday evening with your date in the car? (or wife & kids if appropriate).
See I think that's my problem too. My commute to work is 3 miles one way. And I don't go on long car rides. I have an 08 with 40k miles and original battery. I think it's time I get new one before I'm stranded like you mentioned. I don't feel like calling AAA lol.! Do you recommend oem at dealer or going to like pepboys?
      11-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley View Post
Do you recommend oem at dealer or going to like pepboys?
Personally on an 08 I'd get the appropriate battery from pepboys or equivalent and figure out how to register it to the car myself as mentioned above. But I'm inclined to jump in and do this stuff myself; I've nearly always replaced batteries myself prior to owning a BMW if possible, and intend to keep doing so now that I have a BMW.

If you're not inclined to get the hardware/software setup necessary to register the battery to the car, I'd call around to local independent BMW shops as well as the dealer and see who seems to be the best value. (always check out shops via yelp as well as the regional boards here)

Ideally an independent shop would be able to test the battery inexpensively to verify it is due for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post

Thanks for the info. I drive my car everyday, however my commute to work is less than 2 minutes long. I do usually drive on the highway for approximately 45 minutes once or twice a weekend. I am definitely in the short driving distances category.

Sounds like I should replace the battery to be safe. I do not know if it is the original or if the previous owner had it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
laser
Commodore
Rep
Drives: 328i / S2000 / 330i M - Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
The battery is covered under the maintenance plan although the dealer likes to blame you for improper driving habits if they can.

A trickle charger is a good investment if your car is not driven 10 miles a day or so,
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
I do not know if it is the original or if the previous owner had it replaced.
Warning: speculation ahead!

If the battery is labelled like other batteries I've put in on non-BMW's, there may be some label or indicator of month/year when the battery was manufactured.

While this doesn't tell you how long it's been in the car, clearly if a battery was made in 2010 it's not the original battery in a 2008 model year car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #21
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

My buddy had an 07 3 Series and he went to german auto car shop and they put a new battery plus a spark plug and everything was perfect. I suggest finding a shop that specializes in german cars
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

CTEK or battery tender is in your future. Also locking the car even in your closed garage assuming you have one is a must otherwise every 4 hours your computer turns on and checks the health of the entire car.
Your battery is toast plain and simple and is on life support. If you want to get caught out and not be able to start it that will happen soon expecially when a real cold snap catches you.
I have a Batteries Plus battery in my M3 I replaced in 2004 but I use a battery tender when not driving the car. My March 2007 335 is still on its OEM battery again because the battery tender prolongs its life.
Time for a battery and registration but do use a tender when you are not driving the car for more than a day and weekends if it sits. I place my battery tender inside the engine where the jumping lugs are. I just pop the hood plug it in and when I want to use it I unplug it. I have the cable installed permanently in my M3 and will do the same for the 335 where I just plug the tender connector into the connector to the jump lugs. This takes maybe 30 secs to do at most...
Appreciate 0