E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension ramble: Bilstein, Birds, KW, Öhlins

12-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #199
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Anyone know anything about the Bilstein B4 dampers, looking at pairing them with some lowered springs?
      12-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #200
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Anyone know anything about the Bilstein B4 dampers, looking at pairing them with some lowered springs?
I think they are replacements for OEM dampers. Should be better damping than the current M Sport. I think you need the B4S ones; they do two versions, one for standard ride height (B4) and one for a lower ride height (B4S).

Keep us updated!

By the way, anyone know if Birds can sell their dampers on their own, i.e without springs? Not for me, but may be helpful for other members.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #201
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The B4S fit a SE mate? Bought some lowering springs after a few issues with my car see here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922735

So now looking for some better dampers that will work better with a drop.
      12-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #202
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Quote:
The B4S fit a SE mate? Bought some lowering springs after a few issues with my car see here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922735

So now looking for some better dampers that will work better with a drop.
I started with msport suspension then lowered on eibach springs the ride became really crashy over bumps etc. Then installed bilstein b4s shocks with shorter bump stops really improved ride no crashy ness over bumps etc. If you were going track car I would say you would need something better but for normal road you won't be disappointed . Also read your post there have you checked all the bushes . I had a lower control arm bush away once and it made the rear end really walloway when changing direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #203
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Good call on the bumpstops. When i lower i will also replace them. Apparantly when lowering, changing to E36 M3 bumpstops for the front, and Z4M bumpstops on the rear is the way to go.

Sparky, considering all the stuff you've done on your car, i'm suprised you're not going for a bigger damper upgrade? Not saying the B4S are bad, they aren't. Just assummed you would have gone for maybe B6/8 shocks, or koni yellows? For standard cars i'm sure they are great, but i think your car is modded quite heavily, so surely need more damping quality?

Also consider the spring rates of your current lowering springs and try and find out if they will be an ok match to whatever dampers you choose.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #204
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
I started with msport suspension then lowered on eibach springs the ride became really crashy over bumps etc. Then installed bilstein b4s shocks with shorter bump stops really improved ride no crashy ness over bumps etc. If you were going track car I would say you would need something better but for normal road you won't be disappointed . Also read your post there have you checked all the bushes . I had a lower control arm bush away once and it made the rear end really walloway when changing direction.
Thanks for the info, the springs i have bought lower the car by 35mm , not sure if that is based on the Msport or SE suspension though. Could be more of a drop on a SE?

Will look at the bump stops, if you have any links to the ones you bought that would be great.

The rear end is a nitemare, feels like I have a unbalanced wheel even though this is a new set of tyres and were fitted just over a week ago and any sharp throttle input makes it lose traction really quickly and the car steps out of line.
      12-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #205
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Good call on the bumpstops. When i lower i will also replace them. Apparantly when lowering, changing to E36 M3 bumpstops for the front, and Z4M bumpstops on the rear is the way to go.

Sparky, considering all the stuff you've done on your car, i'm suprised you're not going for a bigger damper upgrade? Not saying the B4S are bad, they aren't. Just assummed you would have gone for maybe B6/8 shocks, or koni yellows? For standard cars i'm sure they are great, but i think your car is modded quite heavily, so surely need more damping quality?

Also consider the spring rates of your current lowering springs and try and find out if they will be an ok match to whatever dampers you choose.
Not much info on the page mate

http://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/prodd...5i~05-12~-35mm

They are the ones I have, if I dont like them, will just swap them out again. The B4S I looked at because they seem to offer the best compromise between everyday driving and a sportier feel.

Happy to look at other suggestions though mate.
      12-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #206
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Hi Mo,

I have had the Birds kit on for about 2-3 weeks now and I am very happy with it.

I wouldn't say that I have had enough opportunity to drive spiritedly for a full review, but as you can imagine I have been out and about a few times to see how the car feels.

My view is that the Birds kit IS worth £960. Based on my previous experience of standard Bilstein stuff, this kit is definitely more comfortable. The car is now more or less completely free of horizontal roll and feels fantastic through corners. There is more steering wheel feel now and much less skipping about at the rear. There is one downside, which I suspect is what those who say this kit is softer (or rolls more) have experienced and that is pitching from front to back. Seanblee has suggested to me that this is because Birds use softer rear springs than most and to be honest, that makes perfect sense. It's not so bad as to require me to do anything about it, but I can imagine why others would do.

I'd also say this - its easy to see where the extra grand would go when Ohlins kit is on the table, but actually I don't care - this was the right decision for me, I don't think Ohlins is worth another £1500 inc fitting and setup.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #207
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Quote:
Thanks for the info, the springs i have bought lower the car by 35mm , not sure if that is based on the Msport or SE suspension though. Could be more of a drop on a SE?

Will look at the bump stops, if you have any links to the ones you bought that would be great.

The rear end is a nitemare, feels like I have a unbalanced wheel even though this is a new set of tyres and were fitted just over a week ago and any sharp throttle input makes it lose traction really quickly and the car steps out of line.
You won't really know what's wrong until you get it up on a ramp and have a noisy.If you have excess to a ramp when it's up on the ramp load the wheels then check the bushes. Bm tech come Mot mechanic showed me that one. The bumpstops I used are the ones mob mentioned i will post the parts numbers when I have excess to computer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #208
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
You won't really know what's wrong until you get it up on a ramp and have a noisy.If you have excess to a ramp when it's up on the ramp load the wheels then check the bushes. Bm tech come Mot mechanic showed me that one. The bumpstops I used are the ones mob mentioned i will post the parts numbers when I have excess to computer.
Nice one cheers macck
      12-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #209
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
There is one downside, which I suspect is what those who say this kit is softer (or rolls more) have experienced and that is pitching from front to back. Seanblee has suggested to me that this is because Birds use softer rear springs than most and to be honest, that makes perfect sense. It's not so bad as to require me to do anything about it, but I can imagine why others would do.
That was my biggest issue with the Birds kit when I had it. The front/rear pitching coming on and off throttle didn't feel too good. In my opinion the Birds kit was developed when the car weren't producing this much power/torque so I can understand why its the case.

@sparky68 I had really bad handling and instability at the rear under acceleration which turned out to be a bad balljoint where the lower arm meets the hub. It was a sub £15 part and solved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #210
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not much info on the page mate

http://www.spring-loaded.co.uk/prodd...5i~05-12~-35mm

They are the ones I have, if I dont like them, will just swap them out again. The B4S I looked at because they seem to offer the best compromise between everyday driving and a sportier feel.

Happy to look at other suggestions though mate.
All depends on your budget mate. Assuming Ohlins is not in your budget:

If you want the best comprimise, i think the birds dampers will do you well. But there are 2 issues:

1) Will Kevin be happy to sell the dampers without springs?
2) How will the Apex springs work with the Birds dampers?

I think Kevin Bird will know the answers to both of these.

Another option is to use Koni Yellows dampers. They are rebound adjustable. However like all reviews, some are good some are bad. Good thing about the dampers is you can adjust the softness. However the reason why im concerned about these is that Koni recommend them to use them on the full soft settings. To me, the recommended setting should be towards the middle, so you have too soft and too hard on each side.

B12 kit seems good. A few recent reviews in the suspension forum.

For me, i don't think i will be happy until i get the Ohlins. That truly is soft when you need it, and stiff when you need that. But until i can afford it, i've limited my budget to £700, and use my purchase for a year or two.

I am looking at the B14 kit, the same one at the start of this thread! I expect it to be firmer than Birds and Ohlins. Having said that, they are the same dampers as in the PSS9/10 kits, and the firmness is around the middle setting of the PSS9/10 dampers. Plus i have some positive 335 reviews now so not too concerned about them being rock hard, i dont think they will be, sometimes firmness can be comfortable. Hopefully it will be flat as a pancake.

Its your car, but with the high power you have, i feel you should get higher quality dampers than the B4S. They are just replacements for OEM dampers, get an upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #211
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hi Mo,

I have had the Birds kit on for about 2-3 weeks now and I am very happy with it.

I wouldn't say that I have had enough opportunity to drive spiritedly for a full review, but as you can imagine I have been out and about a few times to see how the car feels.

My view is that the Birds kit IS worth £960. Based on my previous experience of standard Bilstein stuff, this kit is definitely more comfortable. The car is now more or less completely free of horizontal roll and feels fantastic through corners. There is more steering wheel feel now and much less skipping about at the rear. There is one downside, which I suspect is what those who say this kit is softer (or rolls more) have experienced and that is pitching from front to back. Seanblee has suggested to me that this is because Birds use softer rear springs than most and to be honest, that makes perfect sense. It's not so bad as to require me to do anything about it, but I can imagine why others would do.

I'd also say this - its easy to see where the extra grand would go when Ohlins kit is on the table, but actually I don't care - this was the right decision for me, I don't think Ohlins is worth another £1500 inc fitting and setup.

Matt
Lol glad one of us is sorted now, finally!

You car sounds fully equipped to terrorise the North of England now. Look forward to reading one of your long reviews, hopefully soon

Re the Ohlins you're spot on, an RRP of £1881 makes it £900 more, which in my book is too much. But i can get it down to a £300-£400 difference, which i would be happy to spend. But this will be later on.

I'm just so fed up of the MSport suspension, that i just want an upgrade. Limiting myself to £700, and hopefully can be good and save up.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #212
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
That was my biggest issue with the Birds kit when I had it. The front/rear pitching coming on and off throttle didn't feel too good. In my opinion the Birds kit was developed when the car weren't producing this much power/torque so I can understand why its the case.

@sparky68 I had really bad handling and instability at the rear under acceleration which turned out to be a bad balljoint where the lower arm meets the hub. It was a sub £15 part and solved the issue.
Hey mate fingers crossed it is that.
      12-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #213
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Was that £15 from BMW or pattern part mate? Need to get one this weekend.

Hows your engine coming along?
      12-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #214
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Was that £15 from BMW or pattern part mate? Need to get one this weekend.

Hows your engine coming along?
Lemforder (OEM quality) £13 from ECP:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BM...a4b02d4&000437

Not bad mate, bolted up the front turbo and started on the rear last night. Also cleaned half the valves so should be getting close to be going in soon. Just a case of putting all the best parts on the good engine now.

Unfortunately the gale winds blew my gazebo apart the week before last and now it needs a paint/wrap. It never rains, it pours
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #215
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lemforder (OEM quality) £13 from ECP:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BM...a4b02d4&000437

Not bad mate, bolted up the front turbo and started on the rear last night. Also cleaned half the valves so should be getting close to be going in soon. Just a case of putting all the best parts on the good engine now.

Unfortunately the gale winds blew my gazebo apart the week before last and now it needs a paint/wrap. It never rains, it pours

Bugger mate, not having a lot of luck. Bet you cant wait to get it back on the road.
      12-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #216
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thinking now to upgrade all the front/rear arms/links and SF bushes to TRW/M3 ones before tackling dampers/springs.

I can get all of it (bar the SF bushes) for £430! Currently looking for the best price for the rear SF bushes. The best price i've found is £200. Anyone found a cheaper price?
Appreciate 0