E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How do you update the ECU/Module software??

10-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #89
alberto562
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I'll try and point you in the right direction...

Your car will have a software integration level commonly known as 'I-LEVEL' / 'I-STUFE' (German)

Basically BMW use a piece of software called ISTA-P which uses dates files to update various modules in your car. When BMW have software updates ready they will release a new version of ISTA-P.

Say some of the software updates are for the E9x chassis the integration level will also be updated.

ISTA-P version is currently at 3.59.5.00 i think (not 100%)

So, taking the version above as an example. The daten files used to update and code modules are v59.5

I haven't got latest I-level spreadsheet but I know for E9X at v59.0 it was:

E89x-16-03-502

This has remained the same since ISTA-P 3.58.0 where I-LEVEL was.

E89x-15-11-500

If you car hasn't been updated by dealer since your purchase, it hasn't been updated this year there will 99% be available updates for your car.

If you want to update your car yourself in to easiest way possible...you'll need:

- A powerful laptop
- Download and install ISTA-P (standalone links available all over net)
- An ICOM cable
- At least a 50a power supply, better 70a, to keep car at 13.8v while updating modules.
- Time. Depending on what modules you'll have the update will take several hours.

Alternatively, go to dealer, whinge about a problem and suggest a software update...

Or the hard way. As above, but use winkfp with a download set of daten files (google for links). Use comfort mode in winkfp to update modules then code to default after with ncsexpert...
Thanks that helps a lot. Im currently downloading the bmw coding v3 vm. And have a k+dcan cable. You think i should trust a lil dell xps 13in ultrabook with a 1.7gh i7 intel with 4gb mem a external 1tb usb3 hard drive (with the vm saved on it since the laptop is only a sad 128gb ssd.). I been running BMWCv2 on it the last couple days and ista/p loads fine without stuttering or freezing. It just takes a a few mins to load but once it starts i see no major issues.
I just didnt really get the last lil bit where u said i have to go into NCSexpert to code to default.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #90
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

When you flash (program) a module it may require coding after as there are many parameters which should be set to your specific options (Vehicle Order).

ISTA-P will do this automatically. However if you choose to update via winkfp then you'll need to default code modules after you flash them to match your VO (FA). You do this using NCS Expert.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #91
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
When you flash (program) a module it may require coding after as there are many parameters which should be set to your specific options (Vehicle Order).
Wouldn't resetting the module after flashing cause it to be configured to the vehicle defaults adjusted for VO?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #92
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Quote:
Wouldn't resetting the module after flashing cause it to be configured to the vehicle defaults adjusted for VO?
What do you mean by 'resetting' a module? The only way is to code it to default...that I know.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #93
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
If you're referring to the SG_RESET job in NCS, then no, it does not reset the module based on VO. You need to run SG_CODIERN using Expert Mode profile to reset the module based on VO.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #94
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Question

OK, so from reading here:

- update DME using WinKFP comfort mode - ok.

- then update also MSD, EKP ? (+ I can't find any MSD module, is it a typo or ?)

- what about updating the FZD, also mentioned ?

- at the end use NCSexpert to code to default ? I assume for all the updated modules ? (gotta read more how this is done, any hints or link would be appreciated)
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #95
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

^ any word on above ?
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #96
dstrickland
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
^ any word on above ?
You can update the DME by itself, chances are your EKP won't even have an update available.

Open winkfp- comfort mode- update ZUSB- select ecu family-enter vin- done- ZB update- wait for "programming ok"

Close winkfp- open NCS expert- select profile- expert mode-click f1-click f3- choose your chassis- select cas- hit back- select ecu you just updated- select job "sg_codieren"-execute job

Done.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #97
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrickland View Post
You can update the DME by itself, chances are your EKP won't even have an update available.

Open winkfp- comfort mode- update ZUSB- select ecu family-enter vin- done- ZB update- wait for "programming ok"

Close winkfp- open NCS expert- select profile- expert mode-click f1-click f3- choose your chassis- select cas- hit back- select ecu you just updated- select job "sg_codieren"-execute job

Done.
Great thank you !

This being still the plan B - plan A is resetting adaptations. Done thru INPA -> not enough. I've been told that resetting DME adaptations via Toolset32 is a better reset than the one done thru INPA (which always fades after short while). How do I do that can anyone help ?

(my guess so far: load MSV80.prg / adap_selektiv_loeschen but I've no idea what to enter as arguments. read some places 255;255;255 , in others 1;0;0 ... so I'm lost)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #98
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Quote:

Done.
Great thank you !

This being still the plan B - plan A is resetting adaptations. Done thru INPA -> not enough. I've been told that resetting DME adaptations via Toolset32 is a better reset than the one done thru INPA (which always fades after short while). How do I do that can anyone help ?

(my guess so far: load MSV80.prg / adap_selektiv_loeschen but I've no idea what to enter as arguments. read some places 255;255;255 , in others 1;0;0 ... so I'm lost)
Not sure where you got that info from but resetting adaptations is resetting adaptations....tool32 & Inpa will do the same thing...zero out the adaptation stored in the DME.

Doesn't matter how you do it, the DME is going to readapt because that's how it's designed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #99
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Yeah just use INPA. Literally sends the same command to the DME.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #100
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Yeah just use INPA. Literally sends the same command to the DME.
OK, that is good info. INPA & Tool32 adaptations are the same !

What about resetting adaptations using ISTA ? Still same thing ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #101
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

I'm not sure. It is possible that they deliberately choose not to clear certain adaptions with ISTA. With INPA, as long as you hit the clear "All Adaptions" button, it should clear all of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #102
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure. It is possible that they deliberately choose not to clear certain adaptions with ISTA. With INPA, as long as you hit the clear "All Adaptions" button, it should clear all of them.
Ya, but I figured out that the "clear all button" also puts my car in transport mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #103
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Ya, but I figured out that the "clear all button" also puts my car in transport mode.
That's insane. Never heard of that before...then again your car is known for one-offs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #104
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's insane. Never heard of that before...then again your car is known for one-offs.
It was a real pain the first time it happened and it took a long time to figure out what was imitating the transport mode, Almost as long to figure out how to clear it. I still have not found a switch to turn it off.

For now , I clear adaptations one at a time.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #105
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was a real pain the first time it happened and it took a long time to figure out what was imitating the transport mode, Almost as long to figure out how to clear it. I still have not found a switch to turn it off.

Do you have rheingold?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #106
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have rheingold?
No, not yet. I'd like to try it. Can you PM a good link?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #107
dstrickland
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have rheingold?
No, not yet. I'd like to try it. Can you PM a good link?
Yep.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #108
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:

what the heck is "transport mode" ? I've reset adaptations with INPA a couple of times, the only big caveat is to not start the car immediately as VVT will go insane but other that that it's fine (maybe clear errors but not a must).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #109
flowserver
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i E90 2007

I've updated my dme in my e90 335i, I noticed that oil temperature it's more cool, Before that flash I run in 115, and now in 100 Celsius
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 02:10 AM   #110
sakis4paok
Registered
Greece
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:

Done.
hello a stupid question when you say (enter vin) you mean the whole vin plus the checksum or not?
Thanks
Appreciate 0