E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Quick tool question, external Torx / waterpump bolt size

10-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
MilwMonstr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '97 328i, '07 335i, '07 S2R1k

Quick tool question, external Torx / waterpump bolt size

Quick question,
I am doing my water pump/t-stat this weekend, parts already ordered, but I don’t have a set of external Torx sockets. Does any know what size is required for the water pump bolts? The sears near me stocks a set that goes to E16 (E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, E16) which I will buy, but I just want to be sure that will work before I have the car torn apart. I am not really familiar with the external Torx sizes, although I admit I should have bought a set the day I bought the car since there are so many under the hood.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=107
      10-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwMonstr View Post
Quick question,
I am doing my water pump/t-stat this weekend, parts already ordered, but I don’t have a set of external Torx sockets. Does any know what size is required for the water pump bolts? The sears near me stocks a set that goes to E16 (E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, E16) which I will buy, but I just want to be sure that will work before I have the car torn apart. I am not really familiar with the external Torx sizes, although I admit I should have bought a set the day I bought the car since there are so many under the hood.

TIA.
I have the same exact Craftman set and it has served quite well on all my maintenance work on the E90. I've done the WP repair using this set. Go for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have the same exact Craftman set and it has served quite well on all my maintenance work on the E90.
Yep, me too. Saved my butt when I did the filter housing gasket replace, and rounded the e-torx under the manifold with a standard ring spanner (I then had to remove the manifold, hammer on the proper e-torx socket, and wrench it off - I had purchased all new bolts with the gasket.) The only e-torx that I've found that this set wont accommodate is the one at the rear center point for the front strut brace.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Yep, me too. Saved my butt when I did the filter housing gasket replace, and rounded the e-torx under the manifold with a standard ring spanner (I then had to remove the manifold, hammer on the proper e-torx socket, and wrench it off - I had purchased all new bolts with the gasket.) The only e-torx that I've found that this set wont accommodate is the one at the rear center point for the front strut brace.
I ran into that exact problem too. I think the bolt is an E-18. I used a metric socket (I forget what size) and it worked just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
bigvic4545
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwMonstr View Post
Quick question,

TIA.

Just did my water pump and tstat this weekend. It is about a 3-4 hour job, and small hands are very helpful. The toughest part is removing the coolant hoses in a very small area. The Tstat is held by 2 10mm bolts and the Water Pump is held by 3 E10 torx bolts. The water pump bolts are very diffucult to remove as they are in a tight space. I couldnt have removed them without a 6 inch extension using a small 3/8 ratchet. good luck
Appreciate 0