E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stealth 335i Mods

01-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
What aspect needs updating? Could you forward that information with details?

Last I checked with the 1000's we sold they work and operate properly.
People are just ignorant man. If most people realized how little tuning actually goes into these cars they would probably think MHD was a ripoff too.

VANOS (AFAIK) haven't really changed in years...almost everyone is tuning timing incorrectly (guess and check), and while changing the fuel scalar might be common practice here, in the GM community we call it raping the tune.

Unless you want some of the more gimmicky features like cold start noise reduction, Cobb can do virtually everything MHD can do. It is way too expensive though, but for people who want an easy plug and play solution, it still has it's place.
      01-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
People are just ignorant man. If most people realized how little tuning actually goes into these cars they would probably think MHD was a ripoff too.

VANOS (AFAIK) haven't really changed in years...almost everyone is tuning timing incorrectly (guess and check), and while changing the fuel scalar might be common practice here, in the GM community we call it raping the tune.

Unless you want some of the more gimmicky features like cold start noise reduction, Cobb can do virtually everything MHD can do. It is way too expensive though, but for people who want an easy plug and play solution, it still has it's place.
Knock tables, dynamic load, anti-lag, N20 support, >19psi boost support, shift bog fixes and there's a ton of stuff in the pipeline. I agree though, people ARE just ignorant. It's true there's not a whole lot of tuning that goes into these cars as much of it is closed-loop operation where you provide targets and PID parameters vs absolute numbers such as injection time, etc.

And cold start noise reduction is gimmicky? I'll switch back and remind my neighbors when I crank my car in the morning. 4" single exhaust problems.

Last edited by Sered; 01-04-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #25
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
What aspect needs updating? Could you forward that information with details?

Last I checked with the 1000's we sold they work and operate properly.
"properly". OTS maps are overly conservative in both fueling and ignition timing and too aggressive in boost targets. It's been established that you want to maximize the amount of safe timing on your fuel of choice and THEN dialing up the boost while watching the timing. There's a happy place there for maximizing power without having to run mega psi. Much better solution for controlling IATs and delivering more consistent power output. Also, the primary failsafe on the DME is via dialing back ignition timing. It's significantly quicker-reacting to dial back ignition timing during knock events vs pulling load targets back.

It might run 'properly'. But 'properly' doesn't mean 'right', it just means 'good enough to not blow up'. I'm aware for many that is just fine. And if your goals are just to be mediocre and slow, then I guess that's fine.
      01-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #26
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

How things quickly change on this forum.

Couple years ago Procede was the ultimate tune and everything else was garbage
Then Cobb became the ultimate tune and everything else is garbage
then Cobb / JB4
Then JB4
and now some are claiming MHD to be the ultimate tune

In reality each tune has its pros and cons. There is no one solution that fits all customer needs.

I have tried most / all solutions. My most favorite and best performance is the JB4. I currently run Cobb on my car

I guess i now qualify as an ignorant

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #27
Two Snails
The Replacement for Displacement
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E92 35i+'06 E46 M3

I'm considering JB4 because of the resell, ease of install/removal, map switching speed & bonus features. The MHD flash Tuner looks attractive as well, but I do not have Android devices so I would have to buy one and the cables. The one VIN and having to buy each set of maps turns me away because I've changed cars every few months & my current E92 is higher up in milage (chassis) but the engine, transmission, turbos and everything were replaced with new parts 3k miles ago under warranty.

I've heard the tune alone puts these cars around 360whp (93 oct). Then intake, FMIC, DP, inlets & E85 turn it into a monster.

Like OP I just want a stealthy street rocket to daily drive. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0