E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer Case Upgrade Possibilities

09-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #67
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Had no idea about this GB.. How about someone Posting a thread about this on the Engine section where more people are likely to see it..

Will send $25 when i get into my laptop and will update my post.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #68
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

The engine section post was a good idea, I'm in. 6 so far.
And my car is at the dealer right now, transfer case is the suspect but I won't be able to get the broken one if CPO covers the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #69
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
The engine section post was a good idea, I'm in. 6 so far.
And my car is at the dealer right now, transfer case is the suspect but I won't be able to get the broken one if CPO covers the repairs.
Oh Damn! Whats the symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #70
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

4x4 malfunction with a weird grinding noise when hitting the gas. Then the car disables all nannies and you get a RWD car, not even slope break assist is active But it drives fine otherwise and no weir noises.
Still waiting to confirm if TC is really the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #71
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It appears the problem was the TC actuator motor, not the TC itself and it's covered under CPO (unlike the X3 according to some google searches I did).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #72
Massdrop
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
Had no idea about this GB.. How about someone Posting a thread about this on the Engine section where more people are likely to see it..

Will send $25 when i get into my laptop and will update my post.
Good idea. Just posted it here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0#post12625550
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #73
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
It appears the problem was the TC actuator motor, not the TC itself and it's covered under CPO (unlike the X3 according to some google searches I did).
Yeah i've had the same grinding noise and codes and it was the Servo Motor, out of warranty so it was a 600$ fix for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massdrop View Post
Great, but seems like for some odd reason people are ignoring it/holding off I just sent my $25 btw. C'mon lets get this going!
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #74
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Sorry for being MIA everyone. At some point this week I'll put my $25 in. Im hoping everybody on the previous pages' lists can put money towards this to take the TC myths and put them to bed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #75
nospoolin
Private
Rep
Drives: WTB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
Sorry for being MIA everyone. At some point this week I'll put my $25 in. Im hoping everybody on the previous pages' lists can put money towards this to take the TC myths and put them to bed.
I plan on sending a PM reminder to everyone on the list in the previous page, Obviously if you've already chipped in ignore it!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #76
Jack M.
Rep
Drives: E39, M5, rebuilt by me ;)

Hello all! I'm Jack and have the equipment to make any modifications needed to this t-case. I have been trying to sign up to your forum, but my Jacks Transmissions email address came up as spam for this forum, yet my generic yahoo email didn't. Admins never responded to my email, so I tried again.

I would like to say hello and also offer my help for this problem. I have the funds to do whatever is needed and I will gladly buy a used t-case to tear down, inspect, and come up with possible solutions.

No need for anyone here to spend their money on a t-case, I can do that. I'll be more than happy to share our findings, with details and pictures here, with possible solutions. If a solution exists that everyone likes, then we can mass produce it and sell it. At that point we will also become a sponsored vendor. As of right now, I have nothing to sell for your vehicle, so don't believe in becoming a sponsored vendor just yet.

If anyone knows of any failed or good used t-cases for sale, please let me know. I'll grab it right away and get cracking on this. I like to work quickly and be one of the first to get our foot in the door for this.

For those that don't know us, we have made many parts for Mitsubishi t-cases and transaxles, Toyota v160, Nissan and E39 Getrag 6-speeds, and double clutch SST units. One upgrade that we really like is a new output shaft and ring gear for the EVO trans final drive which is taller for those with big turbo applications. We were not only able to give those folks the final drive gear ratio they wanted, but had the part made with a reversed helix angle to prevent clutch housing case damage. The OEM and other final drive sets available caused harsh thrust loading, which pushed the output shaft through the weak case. By reversing the helix angle, the thrust loading during a launch was moved from the clutch housing case end to the end cover side, which is much stronger and eliminated output shafts from exiting the case. We were able to kill two birds with one stone on that one, which was nice. We hope to provide the same smart engineering to your t-case.

Thanks again!!

Jack
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #77
King mode
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Thank you Jack!! I'm local to you so i'm very excited to see if we can have a beefed up "drag ready" solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #78
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Welcome Jack, we look forward to your findings. We have tallied up a couple hundred from particular members in a MassDrop account. It's not much be time and effort have a value.

Here is a list of very reasonably priced TCs

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sear...ey=&userPage=2
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #79
Jack M.
Rep

Wow, those are cheap! I checked car-part earlier, but they didn't seem to have anything for the 335 at that time. I must not have been using it correctly.

So please help me here as I am going to have to learn a lot quickly. From what I have gathered, the large vehicles like the X3 and X5 do not share the same t-cases with your cars, but the 325, 328, 330, 335, 525 and 530 do? What about auto and manual vehicles? Are they all the same? If so, that definitely makes finding one easy.

They look to be so cheap that I would be willing to buy several for different vehicles to verify if that's what it takes. Just for kicks, I may buy the X5 t-case and one other t-case from your link above to see what's really going on.

Thanks again!

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Welcome Jack, we look forward to your findings. We have tallied up a couple hundred from particular members in a MassDrop account. It's not much be time and effort have a value.

Here is a list of very reasonably priced TCs

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sear...ey=&userPage=2
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #80
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack M. View Post
Wow, those are cheap! I checked car-part earlier, but they didn't seem to have anything for the 335 at that time. I must not have been using it correctly.

So please help me here as I am going to have to learn a lot quickly. From what I have gathered, the large vehicles like the X3 and X5 do not share the same t-cases with your cars, but the 325, 328, 330, 335, 525 and 530 do? What about auto and manual vehicles? Are they all the same? If so, that definitely makes finding one easy.

They look to be so cheap that I would be willing to buy several for different vehicles to verify if that's what it takes. Just for kicks, I may buy the X5 t-case and one other t-case from your link above to see what's really going on.

Thanks again!

Jack
I know the auto and manual have the same tc. I am unsure if the 325, 328, 330 and 335 share the same transfer case.

There is a large torque difference the 325 and 335 so I'm going to go on a safe assumption and say the tc is not the same. But I could be wrong since they do share the same transmission despite the hp/tq difference.

Maybe someone will verify soon. To be honest, these tc have been pretty reliable but to know that we have a solid tc with minimal weak points would put our minds at peace.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #81
King mode
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I think the 335 diesel t-case is different (stronger).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #82
Boosted-M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535D XDrive (USA)

I just signed up for mass drop and made the payment.. Not sure if anybody has a problem with their website on windows machine, but I was able to get setup with my iPhone..

Hope we get more people to do this to find a quick solution!
      09-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #83
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Thank you for taking this project on Jack. I'll be looking forward to your results.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #84
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack M. View Post
Hello all! I'm Jack and have the equipment to make any modifications needed to this t-case. I have been trying to sign up to your forum, but my Jacks Transmissions email address came up as spam for this forum, yet my generic yahoo email didn't. Admins never responded to my email, so I tried again.

I would like to say hello and also offer my help for this problem. I have the funds to do whatever is needed and I will gladly buy a used t-case to tear down, inspect, and come up with possible solutions.

No need for anyone here to spend their money on a t-case, I can do that. I'll be more than happy to share our findings, with details and pictures here, with possible solutions. If a solution exists that everyone likes, then we can mass produce it and sell it. At that point we will also become a sponsored vendor. As of right now, I have nothing to sell for your vehicle, so don't believe in becoming a sponsored vendor just yet.

If anyone knows of any failed or good used t-cases for sale, please let me know. I'll grab it right away and get cracking on this. I like to work quickly and be one of the first to get our foot in the door for this.

For those that don't know us, we have made many parts for Mitsubishi t-cases and transaxles, Toyota v160, Nissan and E39 Getrag 6-speeds, and double clutch SST units. One upgrade that we really like is a new output shaft and ring gear for the EVO trans final drive which is taller for those with big turbo applications. We were not only able to give those folks the final drive gear ratio they wanted, but had the part made with a reversed helix angle to prevent clutch housing case damage. The OEM and other final drive sets available caused harsh thrust loading, which pushed the output shaft through the weak case. By reversing the helix angle, the thrust loading during a launch was moved from the clutch housing case end to the end cover side, which is much stronger and eliminated output shafts from exiting the case. We were able to kill two birds with one stone on that one, which was nice. We hope to provide the same smart engineering to your t-case.

Thanks again!!

Jack
Very good to know that someone will have a look at our TC!! I think there is a lot of xi owners who are waiting to know if there really are some weak points and if so, see if there are any upgrade solution for those weak points.
I'm personally FBO + meth, 50k miles and TC is just fine. Not really babying the car, not bashing all over it neither. I can't imagine what an upgraded TC would be able to hold.
      09-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #85
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

I'm excited to see what Jack comes up with. Thanks for looking at it Jack!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #86
Jack M.
Rep

Thanks all! So I have 2 t-cases heading my way:

(1) 335i
(1) 325i

I would also like to get a diesel t-case coming, but are those the same as the 335i gas t-case?? I can't seem to find one out of a diesel as it's not specified. If the diesel version is truly different, I would like to get one and look at it too.

Thanks again!

Jack
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #87
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

According to this they all use the same part number but diesel seems to be only in Europe:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&showeur=on
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #88
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

The other one that appears to be worth looking at is the ATS350(?) from the 550xi.
Appreciate 0