E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lowering - birds b3 or eibach springs

01-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

Lowering - birds b3 or eibach springs

Ive been thinking about lowering my e92 325i se. Not sure wether to go for birds b3 setup or eibach pro springs. I wont be going anywhere near a track, and dont even normally push the car very hard. Just really want it for the look while maintaining a comfortable but not overly soft ride.

I called up a place i found online who look like they know what theyre doing and spoke to someone. He recommended that i go for eibach springs with my standard shocks and that i steer clear of coilovers as theyll be too hard.

So anyone have experience of eibach pro springs with standard shocks? Im not sure whether to go for them or the birds bilstein setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
You are comparing apples and pears. Have you checked the price difference between Eibachs and the Bilstein set up? But please note that in my experience, you can never lower a car and not adversely affect the ride quality...despite what others may tell you.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah i realise there is a big difference in price, but someone is selling a used birds bilstein setup so not that much price difference.

And i accept that the ride will be affected, but hoping it will be in a positive way. Or atleast not too much in a negative way!

Really looking for advice on the best option for everyday road use. Dont want more than 35mm drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

P5 UML (user on here) use to run with Eibach Pro Springs for his 325D E92 but has recently switched to BC coilovers (same as myself ~ E92 335D and N1 116 ~ E92 M3) and from hearing their comments and thoughts, both have spoken highly of improvement in the quality of ride over stock susp).

Matching springs with OE shocks IMO in the long run is a big no no and that pretty much swayed my decision in favour of the coilover suspension kit. Birds B3 in my opinion is far better because it is a full kit, not just springs. Springs will be no good if you decide you don’t like the drop / stance – as you’ll have to sell them on for far less than what you paid and eventually end up buying a full suspension kit / coilovers…

If those are your only two choices, my answer day in day out is the birds susp kit.

However, stretch your budget a little more and either buy yourself some BC coilovers at £690 Brand New possibly even a little cheaper or an even better set, the Bilstein PSS10 coilover kit which HotCoupe has for sale at the moment… that price is unbeatable and for that money, you will not, repeat will not find a better suspension kit.

I’m not sure whether the Birds kit is height/damp adjustable so someone needs to chime in please but this is probably the most important bit of advice I was given when shopping around…. Coilovers / suspension kit (not springs alone!) when adjusted correctly (i.e. damping / height) will deliver far better ride quality than OEM.. simple reason.. less body roll even on Daily Drives (and I never have been or plan to Track my car) and closer center of gravity. Get the damping wrong and you will ask yourself WTF is going on but get it right you’re onto a winner. The beauty of it is its fully adjustable ... How hard is it you ask? Well, open your bonnet, look top right and top left corner, place your fingers on the BC dials and turn right for harder setting or left for softer. It's that simple! Rears is the same which can be accessed from the boot.

Sorry to go on but I can’t stress enough how you may be dissatisfied with springs alone……Do it right first time otherwise you’ll end up paying more after a few months.

Now ask yourself what it is you’re looking for?

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 01-08-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

I went for the Bilstein B12 kit, which is Bilstein dampers with Eibach Pro springs, costs about £600 I think. Very happy with the drop and handling. I have a thread on here with pictures if you want to see.
Theres a lot of choice out there including coilovers, so don't rush into anything and do shop around.
I was advised against SE dampers with lowered springs as they need to work together well, I was told by many people that you end up with a poor bouncy ride, as AWBimmer said, do it once and do it right
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The birds kit is fixed height and damping but reviews are very good from what ive seen so far. With the bc setup is it best to have a certain amount of damping for a given height or is it just down to preference on both adjustments?

I had a quick look at coilovers before but didnt realise i could get them for that price. Was looking at closer to or over a grand which was over my budget. But for around 600 i will look into it again. I would have paid about that for the used birds anyway.

E92Dan how do u find the ride with the B12 kit? I wouldnt mind a little bit firmer ride myself but its my daily driver and sometimes have wife and 2 young boys with me so dont want it too harsh for them. I take it from ur post that u have SE model. How much was the drop? Any photos?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It's very much down to preference and that is the distinct advantage over set ride heights and set damping. IMO, there's no match dude.

I was in your position about 6 months ago and the price tag was really appealing in terms of Eibach springs, but when I read and re-read reviews on not to match springs with stock shocks, it put me off... suspension is a major part of your car And I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing I might have saved a few hundred quid but ran the risk of a poor quality of ride. Why do that when you've paid presumably a considerable amount of your hard earned cash on your pride and joy.

BCs are excellent quality coilovers (otherwise I certainly wouldn't have them and neither would someone with an E92 M3 lol).. I did a lot of research and there were FK, Apax, etc etc, entry / budget level ones for £2-300 but steer clear! You're better leaving your car as is if you start considering them lolll..

I'm praising BCs because that's what I and few others have (very popular amongst Scoobys) and I feel a significant difference in ride quality. You also get that mean lowered look and the beauty is you can keep tweaking it and tinkering till you get the perfect drop for yourself... and then under the bonnet.. tweak your damper settings which btw are 30way.. so you can certainly achieve a desired ride Q plus height..

Do lots of research and reading as mentioned HotCoupe has some brilliant coil overs and for that money (see classified), I'd not hesitate. Superb highly regarded coil overs.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 01-08-2013 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. Will hold off and do some more research like u said.

I was also ready to spend a bit of cash on upgrading the audio but might need to give that a rethink if im going for coilovers. Dont know what to do first lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
I'm in the same boat as you, can't decide but I never can Grrr!!

So my budget is what I should consider first of all and £1k or less inc fitting is what I'm looking at.

idnan has some used Birds B3's up for £550. I've heard great things but I'm wondering if I buy these I'll be the third owner so resale is non existent. Will I want more adjustability to go aggressive as and when? Questions we need to answer

So maybe I should just do the coilovers and be done with it.
BC BR Series are what?
Hard, Soft, perfect for street poodling around and quiet.

Who has these and what's the compromise?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah i was tempted by the birds. But i suppose if u can get brand new adjustable coilovers for not a lot more money then its prob a no brainer. Unless the birds were really special kit, but seems the bc kit is pretty good also.

Looks like theyre probably sold now anyway. Makes me wan them now lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I have replaced just the springs and was going to get the matching shocks but my audio side of things went a bit crazy. I really like the stance but i suppose the ride can obviously improve (sat in MrSinghs car the other day and instantly felt the difference), and its just not matched at the moment. Reading this thread has convinced me to get the matched shocks as my next car expense. Thanks Awbimmer
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, can't decide but I never can Grrr!!

So my budget is what I should consider first of all and £1k or less inc fitting is what I'm looking at.

idnan has some used Birds B3's up for £550. I've heard great things but I'm wondering if I buy these I'll be the third owner so resale is non existent. Will I want more adjustability to go aggressive as and when? Questions we need to answer

So maybe I should just do the coilovers and be done with it.
BC BR Series are what?
Hard, Soft, perfect for street poodling around and quiet.

Who has these and what's the compromise?
I do. BC BR Series are perfect for everyday daily drive, occasional track days and soft rides for those long journeys.. The 1st and the last are probably most accurate IMO.

I change my damp settings to see what ride Q is like over diff settings (soft, medium and hard) and all I'm going to say on this is to avoid hardest for DD.. I was new to the scene and didn't know I had to adjust them haha even thou I bought them but after a day of Hardest setting, I lifted the bonnet and turned the dials to the left (it clicks on every turn) and my jaws dropped.... I fell in love with the car all over again.

I have not stopped smiling about my car and it is THE best mod I've done. Yes it is my first ever suspension mod but boy was it a wise decision.

Since my thread / review on them, I've had many US guys ask me about them and I've said this... I absolutely love the coilovers and it'll be a staple for years to come lol! It's no compromise .. It's a brilliant kit with a great ride Q over stock.. That's my 2p.

Last edited by AWBimmer; 01-08-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
I have replaced just the springs and was going to get the matching shocks but my audio side of things went a bit crazy. I really like the stance but i suppose the ride can obviously improve (sat in MrSinghs car the other day and instantly felt the difference), and its just not matched at the moment. Reading this thread has convinced me to get the matched shocks as my next car expense. Thanks Awbimmer
if I'm in your neck of the woods dude will have to listen to your set. Mine should be done by this weekend. My installer has been sending some a few pics and I'm dead excited! I just know my sub with the boot lid shut will never sound as deep / clean bass line when compared to IB or firing through ski hatch ... I think that'll be my next audio upgrade. I've not even got my car back from ray current install and am already thinking about my next subwoofer and set up haha... ADDICTIVE!
      01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imygaf View Post
I called up a place i found online who look like they know what theyre doing and spoke to someone. He recommended that i go for eibach springs with my standard shocks and that i steer clear of coilovers as theyll be too hard.
Don't ring him again

There's plenty of cracking advice from others on here,so I'll not bother adding any more

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Don't ring him again

There's plenty of cracking advice from others on here,so I'll not bother adding any more
If there's anyone you want coil over advice from imygaf, speak to Hotcoupe and as always happy to answer your questions. If you're around or near me fell free to take a ride in my car and make up your own mind. You'll soon realise whether someone advocating springs with stock shocks is better in ride Q over a full suspension kit that gives you full height and soft/hard setting, is telling the truth or speaking to sound like he/she knows but in reality doesn't and wants to think its the truth.

I'm only reason I'm saying this as I didn't have this advice when I was looking and I just read as much as possible. As much as I hated the price tag, it was the wisest decision I have made regaling to modifying my car
      01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
if I'm in your neck of the woods dude will have to listen to your set. Mine should be done by this weekend. My installer has been sending some a few pics and I'm dead excited! I just know my sub with the boot lid shut will never sound as deep / clean bass line when compared to IB or firing through ski hatch ... I think that'll be my next audio upgrade. I've not even got my car back from ray current install and am already thinking about my next subwoofer and set up haha... ADDICTIVE!
Haha i remember how excited i got when i was sent pics! Don't be downhearted, these different installs have different benefits/drawbacks. For example yours will probably be louder (don't hold me to that though!) and more OEM friendly.

Yeah would be good to meet and sample your ride and audio if you're ever here.

I used to say no to coilovers as people just said they are made for track days, which i admit i though for a long time. Right now im thinking just get the ACS shocks but no one seems to have that set up Anyways im pretty sure your ride is going to be better than mine as i have springs and OEM shocks
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
N111CUK
G force Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport black edition

Garage List
On the fence about BC. Why are They so cheap ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Alex.Devol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M-Sport LCI

I went for the Birds b3 after a lot of research & saving, there is plenty of reading already published about it, pretty much all very positive, so I won't waste my time describing the ride but I will say its every bit as good as advertised. Made a huge improvement in handling over the msport and also considerably improved ride comfort, I don't know of many other suspension options that can successfully do this, If I still have the car in 80k I will be buying another b3.
if youre seriously considering the birds setup i would strongly advise you fit the b3 sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
The birds kit is fixed height and damping but reviews are very good from what ive seen so far. With the bc setup is it best to have a certain amount of damping for a given height or is it just down to preference on both adjustments?

I had a quick look at coilovers before but didnt realise i could get them for that price. Was looking at closer to or over a grand which was over my budget. But for around 600 i will look into it again. I would have paid about that for the used birds anyway.

E92Dan how do u find the ride with the B12 kit? I wouldnt mind a little bit firmer ride myself but its my daily driver and sometimes have wife and 2 young boys with me so dont want it too harsh for them. I take it from ur post that u have SE model. How much was the drop? Any photos?
I have a thread on here with pictures, "fitted today", sorry not sure how to add a link to it!
The ride is firmer than M Sport, but it doesn't crash into bumps like an M sport would do.
I do 18,000 miles a year and I am very happy with the ride. Never get out the car tired, I love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #20
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Re the bc coilovers, any idea what the min and max drop is? None of the sellers seem to state this.
When adjusting he damper settings is the softest setting actually noticably softer? I ask because i had koni suspension fitted to a car about 10 years ago and couldnt really feel much difference between hard and soft settings
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #21
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N111CUK View Post
On the fence about BC. Why are They so cheap ?
It depends on your budget. Cheap to you perhaps but not cheap to others lol. If you’re willing to spend more then by all means, do so, but BC’s aren’t all that cheap at just shy of £700, are they? You’re comparing to KWs and Bilsteins presumably in which case yes they are cheaper - why? Probably because KWs have been around much longer and greater research / testing and development has probably gone into KWs reflecting a greater price tag… it’s like comparing an FI SSD / Orion sub to the JLW7… all are very good in their own league and comparable to an extent… but most people praise the JLw7 because JL have spent years and far greater resources in marketing / advertising… that plus they are an excellent line of Subwoofers.

BCs’ are excellent quality, mid-level coilovers which boasts a great deal of adjustability, usable for DD or a moderately aggressive set up. Again, NJ116 on here would not have put them on his E92 M3 if he didn’t think they were worthy enough and his car is one of the few on this forum which has undergone and continue to undergo heavy mods (including BBK, full vinyl wrap, BMW perf alcantara seats etc etc).

Hope that helps – I also asked why these were cheap compared to the others on the market but I am so glad I went for them as I’ve not looked back one bit! I’m sure KWs and Bilstein would also be excellent however I cannot comment on them since I have no experience – speak to HotCoupe as he has Bilsteins for sale..

Quote:
Re the bc coilovers, any idea what the min and max drop is? None of the sellers seem to state this.
When adjusting he damper settings is the softest setting actually noticably softer? I ask because i had koni suspension fitted to a car about 10 years ago and couldnt really feel much difference between hard and soft settings
See my Build Thread 3rd or 4th page in and you’ll see how low they go lol. Most people on here said its “dumped” and I’m entering the dub scene haha, made me chuckle but I’ve now realised it’s an art to get the stance just right.. it’s what I love about coilovers! Time after time afet time, you can readjust, shuffle about and adjust for the perfect height! I’m not too sure on the numbers but I believe their starting point is about the M Sport ride height down to pretty pretty low.

Softer setting compared to hardest setting is NIGHT and DAY IMO. You try driving around on the hardest setting for a day or two like me and your teeth will shatter LOL but half way through or thereabouts and the softness kicks in comfortably. I’ve not yet tried it on the softest setting as I don’t have my car this week but I will do that soon lol. Don’t forget 10 years ago compared to now, a lot has been developed in the Suspension industry so things have clearly evolved. I’ve no experience with Koni either, only and only BC but I’m a happy chap. If you need more 1st hand help, just PM P5 UML or NJ 116 on here
      01-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your input AWBimmer, has been a great help. I will do some more research but u have just about convinced me.
Now just a matter of getting the cash together, its a bit more than i had planned to spend.
I had also been planning the Gladen audio upgrade but might just go for the alpine now and put the saving towards bc setup.
Appreciate 0