E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Direct FRM swap FRM2 -> FRM2 coding help

01-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Intotheblue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Coupe

Direct FRM swap FRM2 -> FRM2 coding help

I tried searching the forum and saw mostly directions from upgrading a FRM2 to 3. I have a short in my FRM2 so will just be replacing it with another FRM2. What sort of coding will I have to do?

Anyone able to point me in the right direction to reset the replacement and whatever else I need to do? (VIN, etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
1) you will need to change VIN number, you can use Tool32 for it
2) you will need to copy FA from CAS to new FRM - you can use NCSExpert for it
3) you will need to code new FRM according to FA - NCSExpert again
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Intotheblue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Coupe

Great thanks. I'm confused on step 3 though, if I'm copying the FA (that's the VO right?) from the CAS to the new FRM, why do I need to now code the FRM?

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I haven't used NCSExpert in 2 years so I'm really rusty.

Will the FA from the CAS contain any of my edits to the old FRM or will I just need to edit those in the new one?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotheblue
Great thanks. I'm confused on step 3 though, if I'm copying the FA (that's the VO right?) from the CAS to the new FRM, why do I need to now code the FRM?

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, I haven't used NCSExpert in 2 years so I'm really rusty.

Will the FA from the CAS contain any of my edits to the old FRM or will I just need to edit those in the new one?
Your FA/VO is simply a list of options unique to your car which specifies every option fitted to the car.

Each module in the car may behave differently depending on different options in the FA/VO.

The FA/VO is stored in CAS and FRM just so it's stored twice for a backup. If you install a used module, in your case a used FRM2 (NFRM) it will be coded for someone else's FA/VO so may act strangely in your car. Simply copying your FA/VO from your CAS to the new FRM will not code the FRM to your car. All you have done is place a backup of your FA/VO in the FRM (which is quite right).

Like any other module, when retrofitted it needs to be coded to your FA/VO as stated using an expertmode profile (no manipulation) and the job sg_coderien.
Appreciate 0