E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > General Rant

02-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

General Rant

Having such a fine automobile means pure driving satisfaction - as long as no one else is on the road!

I have a couple of twisty roads near where I live that are a lot of fun to drive - but they are fun for everyone including multi-ton SUVs and swishy land yachts. Well - driving can be satisfying to anyone and everyone and hey I don't own the roads so if I want to drive 'em like I want to I have to get up pretty early.

So I'm approaching the turn off onto one of these roads - no one is behind me and no one really ahead. This however means little to a late model Corvette pilot who waits until I'm 50 feet away to pull out in front of me under heavy acceleration - I of course have to brake for him. Then in keeping with Murphy's Law this gonad makes the turn onto the very same road I'm about to enjoy - but it's all good because the guy seems aggressive, it's early in the morning and he probably wants to have some fun on the twisties too in his car.

Well...no. 30 miles an hour is not what I had in mind and to make things worse - he cannot moderate his speed for the hills so he is at 20 - 32, 33 up and down and then (God help me...) BRAKES not only into the approaches but THROUGH them as well making what could have been a highly enjoyable romp through the hills and turns into an agonizing shopping cart through the grocery store experience.

Now don't get me wrong - it isn't my road - and not everyone can take this stretch of asphalt as fast as I can: but THIS bung - - - isn't this the same guy who couldn't wait for me to pass before spinning his car in front of me?? In a freaking CORVETTE? When NO ONE else is on the road?? Why the hell do people go to extreme lengths to pull out in front of you like demons are chasing them and then slow down to a crawl?? Now I have to add to my list of usual bungholio suspects:

1. Cavalier Drivers
2. Corolla Drivers
3. Honda Civics with large Buzzy Exhausts
4. Second generation Eclipse drivers (whether turbo or not)
4. (Corvette Drivers) Who have no business owning such an automobile.

This (By no means all-inclusive) list represents those characters who typically act like they are driving Formula One racers and by that dubious not quite accurate virtue try to dominate the road.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppcar View Post
Why the hell do people go to extreme lengths to pull out in front of you like demons are chasing them and then slow down to a crawl??
I don't know, but I hate it too. Happens to me on the highway from time to time.

Coming up quick in the passing lane with no one behind and some jagoff decides to cut you off and make the slowest pass known to man of the guy he's been following for the past hour.
      02-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

You need to go track... or, Germany on a Sunday morning, early. Trucks are banned and on certain A-Bahns you can get a great run!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppcar View Post
Having such a fine automobile means pure driving satisfaction - as long as no one else is on the road!

I have a couple of twisty roads near where I live that are a lot of fun to drive - but they are fun for everyone including multi-ton SUVs and swishy land yachts. Well - driving can be satisfying to anyone and everyone and hey I don't own the roads so if I want to drive 'em like I want to I have to get up pretty early.

So I'm approaching the turn off onto one of these roads - no one is behind me and no one really ahead. This however means little to a late model Corvette pilot who waits until I'm 50 feet away to pull out in front of me under heavy acceleration - I of course have to brake for him. Then in keeping with Murphy's Law this gonad makes the turn onto the very same road I'm about to enjoy - but it's all good because the guy seems aggressive, it's early in the morning and he probably wants to have some fun on the twisties too in his car.

Well...no. 30 miles an hour is not what I had in mind and to make things worse - he cannot moderate his speed for the hills so he is at 20 - 32, 33 up and down and then (God help me...) BRAKES not only into the approaches but THROUGH them as well making what could have been a highly enjoyable romp through the hills and turns into an agonizing shopping cart through the grocery store experience.

Now don't get me wrong - it isn't my road - and not everyone can take this stretch of asphalt as fast as I can: but THIS bung - - - isn't this the same guy who couldn't wait for me to pass before spinning his car in front of me?? In a freaking CORVETTE? When NO ONE else is on the road?? Why the hell do people go to extreme lengths to pull out in front of you like demons are chasing them and then slow down to a crawl?? Now I have to add to my list of usual bungholio suspects:

1. Cavalier Drivers
2. Corolla Drivers
3. Honda Civics with large Buzzy Exhausts
4. Second generation Eclipse drivers (whether turbo or not)
4. (Corvette Drivers) Who have no business owning such an automobile.

This (By no means all-inclusive) list represents those characters who typically act like they are driving Formula One racers and by that dubious not quite accurate virtue try to dominate the road.

But, really by all means. I get what you mean, but dont hate my on catback exhaust on my civic. It's faster than you think. (but still kinda slow)

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

LOL!

Heinz, It would be wrong to generalize - not all people deserve a label! But - I have to tell you: I can't hate on any Honda. The first truly fun car I ever purchased was a 1993 Integra. It was a black "LS" with tan interior, manual transmission, sunroof and a small rear wing spoiler - alloys. It wasn't a GSR but it was a blast to drive and cornered like it was on rails. The GSR came in a teal color that honestly looked a little strange on that car. But I loved it and with the exception of the whistling windows - I never had a problem with her.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Honda makes a great car.

Around here I seem to have the above types of experiences with Scion TCs.
Appreciate 0