E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield Washer Not working

09-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
djVAO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Windshield Washer Not working

Hey all, new to the forums. I drive a 2006 330xi, and it is my first time owning the ultimate driving machine. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I bought it last year. I am now a BMW addict, and after my daughter gets into college next year, I have my eye on an M4.

My question is that this summer, the windshield washer stopped working. I have read numerous threads on this topic, but none have talked about what I am experiencing now, at least from what I have seen. The stalk totally works when using the automatic wipers, and every aspect of the wipers honestly, just not the windshield washer. When I pull the stalk forward, nothing happens, the wipers dont engage, and I do not hear the pump trying to spray either. I have checked the fuses and all are fine.

I was going to order the pump, but did not want to waist my time if this isnt a pump issue. So my question is a couple parts:

1.) Has anyone experienced this issue before
2.) And if there is a thread about Windshield Washer that is the same as above, and I missed it, I would love a link (all the other threads I have read so far talk about clogged lines, broken pump and the likes, but all list that the wipers still will engage, which mine do not)

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

On my 2001 E46 I had my windshield washer pump fail suddenly, requiring replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
djh2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 330e

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
This article might be interesting to read, as it goes through the operations and sensors at a pretty low level.
http://www.shrani.si/f/k/4j/4sd9KbkF...hicle-elec.pdf

Code:
Pg 13, Wash Windscreen
On pulling the wiper switch, initially the washer fluid pump is switched on followed by the windscreen wiper. The washer fluid pump remains switched on for as long as the wiper switch is pulled.

The signal is routed from the SZL to the Junction Box Electronics Control Module (JBE).

The JBE activates the washer fluid pump directly. After the pump is switched off, the wipers continue to operate for several wipe cycles in order to wipe the windscreen dry.

The JBE will no longer drive the washer fluid pump if the fluid level in the washer fluid reservoir is too low. The JBE receives the information necessary for this purpose from the washer fluid level sensor.
It almost sounds like the JBE sees a low fluid reservoir and refuses to pass the request for windshield cleaning. However, if that were the case, you'd be getting the low fluid warning.

Not sure if that helps, but it gives more context to the somewhat advanced system and what it is doing when you pull the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
demian5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i Sport/Premium/Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh2 View Post
This article might be interesting to read, as it goes through the operations and sensors at a pretty low level.
http://www.shrani.si/f/k/4j/4sd9KbkF...hicle-elec.pdf

Code:
Pg 13, Wash Windscreen
On pulling the wiper switch, initially the washer fluid pump is switched on followed by the windscreen wiper. The washer fluid pump remains switched on for as long as the wiper switch is pulled.

The signal is routed from the SZL to the Junction Box Electronics Control Module (JBE).

The JBE activates the washer fluid pump directly. After the pump is switched off, the wipers continue to operate for several wipe cycles in order to wipe the windscreen dry.

The JBE will no longer drive the washer fluid pump if the fluid level in the washer fluid reservoir is too low. The JBE receives the information necessary for this purpose from the washer fluid level sensor.
It almost sounds like the JBE sees a low fluid reservoir and refuses to pass the request for windshield cleaning. However, if that were the case, you'd be getting the low fluid warning.

Not sure if that helps, but it gives more context to the somewhat advanced system and what it is doing when you pull the stalk.
That is good info.

I am having the exact same issue and with my scan tool, I am even getting a request to activate the washers at the JBE when I pull on the stalk, so the communication is working. nice read, i am gonna try filling my reservoir first, if not, pull the wheel house liner and do some research.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
demian5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i Sport/Premium/Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by djVAO View Post
Hey all, new to the forums. I drive a 2006 330xi, and it is my first time owning the ultimate driving machine. I absolutely fell in love with the car when I bought it last year. I am now a BMW addict, and after my daughter gets into college next year, I have my eye on an M4.

My question is that this summer, the windshield washer stopped working. I have read numerous threads on this topic, but none have talked about what I am experiencing now, at least from what I have seen. The stalk totally works when using the automatic wipers, and every aspect of the wipers honestly, just not the windshield washer. When I pull the stalk forward, nothing happens, the wipers dont engage, and I do not hear the pump trying to spray either. I have checked the fuses and all are fine.

I was going to order the pump, but did not want to waist my time if this isnt a pump issue. So my question is a couple parts:

1.) Has anyone experienced this issue before
2.) And if there is a thread about Windshield Washer that is the same as above, and I missed it, I would love a link (all the other threads I have read so far talk about clogged lines, broken pump and the likes, but all list that the wipers still will engage, which mine do not)

Thanks in advance
Did you fix it? What was it?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
avikavik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Did you find a solution?

Hi,
Did you manage to fix this? What was the problem?

Thanks and regards
AK
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Mine was someone was putting water in it before I got it and like moss had grown, clogging the screen. I pulled the tank, washed it well, and it's been bulletproof for years since.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #8
DASN54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 GMC Sierra  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's usually always the pump based on OP described symptoms.
      05-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
DJBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Touring

Windscreen and headlight washers not working

I have a BMW E91 3 series 325i 2005 model.

As per the first post in this thread my windscreen and headlight washers have just stopped working. when i pull the stick back, there is no noise from the pumps and the wipers dont move at all. basically nothing happens.

My wipers work fine when using them normally, just not when i use the washers. The rear washers and wiper work perfectly.

I have checked the fuses and they are all fine.

I have seen many posts about the pump being faulty but would this still be the case if both my windscreen and headlight washers don't work and there is no movement from the wipers either when using the washer stalk?

Please help if you can.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #10
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i + 11 MSport E91

Re: DJBMW

My 06 330i exhibited the same issue.
Quote:
My wipers work fine when using them normally, just not when i use the washers. The rear washers and wiper work perfectly.
The rear works bc it has it's own dedicated pump.

The front pump is part number 67127302589

I'd recommend buying the pump washer strainer and filter.
BMW-61667006063
When you remove the original washer it'll most likely leak when you reinsert it.
That's what happened when I replaced mine. I even tried to using pb blaster to recondition the washer but that didn't work out.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
DJBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Touring

Thanks for the response.

are you suggesting that if my windscreen washer pump is faulty, then my wipers wont respond and my headlight washers wont work either?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #12
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBMW View Post
Thanks for the response.

are you suggesting that if my windscreen washer pump is faulty, then my wipers wont respond and my headlight washers wont work either?

Yep. If pulling the washer stalk does nothing, but pushing the stalk up or down does activate the wipers, the pump is likely dead.

You can get a new pump from FCP for $10.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
EjBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i RWD Base Model

Windshield washer failure

2010 328i RWD.
I have a somewhat similar problem. Sudden failure of the windshield washer one day mid-squirt. When I pull the wiper stalk, the wipers move, but there is no fluid being pumped. I have had someone pull the stalk with my ear against the F/R quarter panel, and hear no pump sound. At first I thought it was just a dead pump, but I took it to local indy shop for inspection and they said the circuit is not receiving voltage at the fuse box, and the problem is likely the stalk switch. What does not make sense to me is, if the stalk is bad, how can the wipers still move 3-4 times when the stalk is pulled toward the driver? Seems more like a control module issue to me, but I am not familiar with exactly what signals are sent and where from the wiper stalk.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #14
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

so I guess you can swap the electrical connection and see if it works. If the above is true.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #15
csquared013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic metallic 2006 330xi

Just to throw it out there, mine clogged up a few years back from using RainX washer fluid. PITA to get cleared out so I just use windshield treatments directly now instead of using fluids infused with treatments.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #16
subframe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i TitSil 6mt ZSP, ZPP,

I am having the same issue with my e90 2006 325i. The wipers function normally; however, when I pull the stalk to activate the washer nothing happens -- no noise, no spray, and no wiper action. The headlight washers do not activate either. From reading other threads, it seems that others having this issue have solved the problem by replacing the washer pump. Before doing that, I decided to scan for codes. The results are as follows:

A3B2/not present -- Message error (terminal status. 0x1 30). receiver instrument panel. transmitter CAS.

62CE/not present -- LDM: Overvoltage fault

A670/not present -- FZD: Fogging sensor

A6CF/present -- JBE: AUC sensor

E194 -- No message. receiver CCC/MASK/RAD2 transmitter CAS

Last edited by subframe; 11-23-2020 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Removed "not" from the first sentence.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #17
subframe
Private First Class
Rep

Re the previous post, I appreciate any insights anyone might have. I also have a question about some of those fault codes that I have been curious about -- does anyone know what the "not present" is telling me?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Not present means the issue happened in the past but is not happening right now.. Best to clear and see if those pop back up.. If so then its an issue ..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #19
subframe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
Not present means the issue happened in the past but is not happening right now.. Best to clear and see if those pop back up.. If so then its an issue ..
Ah. That makes sense. I will try clearing them. It also appears that none of those fault codes have any connection with the wind shield washer problem.

Thanks,

Jim
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #20
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Check your AUC sensor .. Its an easy fix if it just unplugged.. Its the sensor under the hood on the other side if hood open switch..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #21
subframe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBMW View Post
Thanks for the response.

This is my question as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by subframe View Post
This is my question as well. [Question was: are you suggesting that if my windscreen washer pump is faulty, then my wipers wont respond and my headlight washers wont work either?]
When you pull the Wiper Stalk, it SHOULD activate the Windshield Washer Pump for a second or two. That stalk pull ALSO turns on the Rain Sensor (RLS) activation of the wipers (as if you had pushed button on end of stalk). If pump (or anything else) puts water on the RLS during the activation period, the wipers will Wipe. If NO water on windshield, wipers don't move.

There's NOTHING wrong with your wipers. The ONLY issue is your Windshield Washer Pump, or it's Connector/wiring.

George
Appreciate 0