E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > tints and paint swirls

05-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
07E92TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 C63

tints and paint swirls

I have tinted windows on my E92 and whenever i roll the windows down it leaves some kind of residue on the inside of the window in certain spots and it sometimes will leave like a line where i stopped the window if I didnt roll it down fully. Ive heard complaints of "tint scratching" on here, is this the same thing? And how can I get rid of this? it comes off with windex but still annoying.

And also, my car is black (ill regret not getting silver til the day I die) but what causes paint swirls? I want to take my car and have it buffed and waxed and stuff, but I dont want to put more swirls in the paint than I have to. Any suggestions? thanks guys!
      05-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07E92TT View Post
And also, my car is black (ill regret not getting silver til the day I die) but what causes paint swirls? I want to take my car and have it buffed and waxed and stuff, but I dont want to put more swirls in the paint than I have to. Any suggestions? thanks guys!
Tons of things cause paint swirls. Improper washing technique (or tunnel washes) are probably the biggest causes of swirls. "Buffing and waxing" the car shouldn't cause swirls, it should eliminate them. A seasoned detailer with the right tools and products can really work some magic (lots of examples of this in the detailing subforum).

Different polishes and pads cut down the swirls and waxes add a final layer of shine, depth, and protection. Black is a tricky color, especially Jet Black. It's a soft paint and swirls very easily - really requires extra care and precautions when cleaning or detailing. Don't take the car to a random self-proclaimed detailer if you really want it looking new again, I've seen some pretty atrocious "detailing" jobs. Make sure you see some examples of their work. It helps to understand at least the basics of detailing so you can ask the right questions.

There are some FL-based skilled detailers on this forum. Again, check the detailing subforum (and ask there). These guys know what they're doing and have the references and pictures to prove it.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

tint thing isnt a problem IMO just have to wash them every now and then and some detailers charge about 150 or 200 to buff the whole car and wax it and that takes care of alot of the swirls
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

take the car back to the dealership and tell them about the window, they will fixer up for ya if its under warranty. outside of that, there are some tricks that you can search out on the forum to help resolve the problem youre speaking of.
Appreciate 0