E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Knock to rear - causing steering wheel off centre

06-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
Ben335i
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M Sport

Knock to rear - causing steering wheel off centre

Chaps,

Noticed that my steering wheel was not straight the other day when it ought to be (i.e. driving in a straight line with no camber on road).

The car has spent a few days in the dealers this month so I asked whether or not they'd had the wheel off for a recall etc, or done anything to the front suspension - the answer I got was "no".

I can't see any fresh kerb marks to the front wheels at all which may indicate someone has twatted it on something, I certainly haven't.

But, the other day I hit a kerb at low speed whilst turning into a road, it was a hit rather than a scrape.

My question is that would a knock to the back effect the steering wheel to be off centre?

The car still drives straight and fine so I'm struggling to see how it could affect it.

Clearly a KDS will no doubt find the problem but that's not going to be especially cheap!

Cheers

Ben

Last edited by Ben335i; 06-24-2009 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

I hit a kerb with my front left wheel on one of my previous cars and it did knock my steering wheel off centre, I took it off and re aligned it myself.
I also had the tracking done once on my bmw and it was out of line but I took it straight back and they sorted it within 5 mins.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Ben335i
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks chap.

I've had a look underneath and it looks like one of the lower arms has shifted on it's mounting to the sub frame, as if the fixing isn't tight enough.

Still can't see why this would affect the steering wheel though. I guess the rear wheel could be inducing some rear-steer which is being compensated by the front wheels, but the car would surely drive badly and it's fine!

Off to Elite me thinks.....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Ben335i
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just in case anyone is interested, a knock at the rear can put the wheel off-centre!

Half an our and £75 later at Elite and all sorted

Cheers

Ben
Appreciate 0