E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP! removing e92 rear console - RATTLE!

04-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

HELP! removing e92 rear console - RATTLE!

please help me before I go insane!

I have a rattle coming from the sliding door/cover of the rear console in my e92. I just want to remove the actual sliding door piece because that seems to be the source of the rattle.

has anyone done this? I don't know where to start removing screws or pieces.

item in question is #9 in the realoem.com link...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6201
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli View Post
please help me before I go insane!

I have a rattle coming from the sliding door/cover of the rear console in my e92. I just want to remove the actual sliding door piece because that seems to be the source of the rattle.

has anyone done this? I don't know where to start removing screws or pieces.

item in question is #9 in the realoem.com link...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6201
I had to remove my entire rear section. From what I recall, under that slide tray there is a rubber layer on the base. Peel it back, I believe there was a torque screw or two under it that allows entire #9 to be removed.

Note: I had my rear seats out when I took this off, not sure if it's required or nor to assemble back.
      04-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
That entire sliding door unit (#9 just as you see it) simply snaps out of the console. Just use a nylon interior pry tool under the front/sides where you see the seam between the console & the unit & pop it up. No need to remove the entire console

There are metal spring clips in the sliding unit that snap into place in those rectangular slots you see in the console around the opening for the sliding unit

If you want (not necessary) to afford yourself some more room, you can remove the small section of the backrest seat cushion that is under fold down seat cupholder & directly above the sliding unit - it is a small separate pc that also simply pops out/in

ITEM #12 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3251

After you remove the unit you will be able to take it apart if need be to get to the sliding section - once you pop it out it will be evident with the screws you need to remove
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 04-28-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
I had to remove my entire rear section. From what I recall, under that slide tray there is a rubber layer on the base. Peel it back, I believe there was a torque screw or two under it that allows entire #9 to be removed.

Note: I had my rear seats out when I took this off, not sure if it's required or nor to assemble back.
did you remove this door because of rattle also?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
That entire sliding door unit (#9 just as you see it) simply snaps out of the console. Just use a nylon interior pry tool under the front/sides where you see the seam between the console & the unit & pop it up. No need to remove the entire console

There are metal spring clips in the sliding unit that snap into place in those rectangular slots you see in the console around the opening for the sliding unit

If you want (not necessary) to afford yourself some more room, you can remove the small section of the backrest seat cushion that is under fold down seat cupholder & directly above the sliding unit - it is a small separate pc that also simply pops out/in

ITEM #12 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3251

After you remove the unit you will be able to take it apart if need be to get to the sliding section - once you pop it out it will be evident with the screws you need to remove
thanks for the detail! did you remove because of rattle?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli View Post
thanks for the detail! did you remove because of rattle?
No, I was replacing the entire rear console with the E93 version for the built-in cupholder w/doors in place of the E92 with empty tray, & for a custom carbon fiber version of the sliding door trim

Never had a rattle...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

I have the same rattle too.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #8
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post

did you remove this door because of rattle also?
Yes and no. I heard a rattle and tried to look at the source but I also was curious about wrapping some back interior bits. I failed on both and the solid bushings aren't helping either. I just learn to live with rattle and vibrations.