E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrade of Stereo System

08-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #23
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I'd second the Match PP82DSP as well, with a slight reservation as to what you're trying to do with it.

Fantastic fantastic tool. Might even be overkill for a basic upgrade though.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d Sport Touring

With recommendations from Makkan00 and all who have recommended, I'm getting:

Mosconi Gladen 120.4 dsp amp
2 ch quad lock
Gladen or Other (not sure what yet, still deciding) for underseat subs
Front Door Focal coaxial's and underseats to be powered by the amp
Rear Door Focal coaxial's powered by Headunit

Hopefully it should be a big improvement to what I got already, will keep ya posted
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #25
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

If you're watching your money spent, I would delete the rear door Focals.

Of course, Focals might be cheap where you're at. For us in the states, putting what Focals cost into the rear doors isn't as great of a return for money spent.

In your case, the Gladen underseats, possibly Jehnert's works well for us as well.

I would consider saving the money for possibly a subwoofer down the line if you feel the need for it. I'm just guessing here, but I imagine that you'll start to run out of gas in the subwoofer frequency ranges around 40hz or so? What's likely to happen, is everything will play, but you'll lose some of the impact towards the bottom end.

I wouldn't worry about what I just said though. It's very likely you'll be very happy with that setup and not even bother with a subwoofer. But that's why I recommend not bothering with the rear doors, so you can see if you want a subwoofer for the money spent, or go about upgrading the rest of the rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #26
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you are going all out on the underseats

If you are going all out on the underseats
Jehnert Xe 200's give great accuracy and are a true
audiophile speaker. Jehnerts are a pretty good speakers
across the board to.
Are the Focals rated for that much power?
I would get a set of component speakers for the front and some
BMW tweeter Pods.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree with the components for the front but I'm stuck with the Focals as I just bought them recently and then decided to refer to the forums advice silly me

Anyway whats done is done and Im gonna stick with the plan of install and then see how it all sounds before spending any more bucks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I would think the stage maybe a little low with the coaxials in the front door, but with the DSP you should be able to center it nicely. Agree with CTUNA sell the rear focals and keep your stockers.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #29
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

He has 4 of the coaxails I think.

He has 4 of the coaxails I think.
I would keep them in the back position.
Since the Mosconi is 120 watts per channel I think he is going
to need to keep the gain at 0 and be care full about the volume
because the Focals he has are rated for 40 watts nominal and 80 maxx.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep

Thats right 4 coaxials I have ctuna. I go by turning down the gains and tweaking slowly without popping any speakers.

I just gotta get me funds together and buy the equipment, then make all the advice given in this thread a reality
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #31
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep

Hiya again,

Its been a little while but thought I'd update you with my progress after receiving all the help.

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the the BMW P&P Package 2 (http://www.monsteraudiodesign.co.uk/...one-120-4-dsp/) including the Mosconi Quadlock 5 Metre and 4 AWG Wiring Kit from MonsterAudioDesign.co.uk. Dealt with Edd who was very helpful and items were sent out quicktime

Name:  IMG_4214.JPG
Views: 1053
Size:  807.7 KB

I've found the time to use Silent Coat on the front doors and install the Gladen mids

Name:  IMG_4443.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  689.5 KB

The Gladen tweeters have also been installed into the new Sail Panels (sorry no pics just yet)

And now I've got a problem which someone must have the answer too. The Gladen X-Over has a Yellow stripe (+) and Translucent (-) wires which connect to the original front door speaker cable.

Name:  IMAG0636.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  484.3 KB

What is the + & - on this cable please ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #32
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is a picture of the crossover in this thread

There is a picture of the crossover in this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822366

maybe Makann00 or the originator of the above thread
or Monster Audio can confirm. Or you could trace it from your
old speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #33
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Pin 1 = (-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraghvani View Post
Hiya again,

Its been a little while but thought I'd update you with my progress after receiving all the help.

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered the the BMW P&P Package 2 (http://www.monsteraudiodesign.co.uk/...one-120-4-dsp/) including the Mosconi Quadlock 5 Metre and 4 AWG Wiring Kit from MonsterAudioDesign.co.uk. Dealt with Edd who was very helpful and items were sent out quicktime

Attachment 1099178

I've found the time to use Silent Coat on the front doors and install the Gladen mids

Attachment 1099179

The Gladen tweeters have also been installed into the new Sail Panels (sorry no pics just yet)

And now I've got a problem which someone must have the answer too. The Gladen X-Over has a Yellow stripe (+) and Translucent (-) wires which connect to the original front door speaker cable.

Attachment 1099180

What is the + & - on this cable please ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #34
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep

Is PIN 1 (-1) the Blue/white stripe or Blue/brown stripe please ?

Ctuna, thanks for the link, its what Im following for my install, I did check the crossover pic prior to posting and the cables dont show a closeup of what the yellow stripe is connected too. Still waiting for MonsterAudioDesign to callback with hopefully an answer too.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #35
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Pin numbers are molded on the connector.

Quote:
Is PIN 1 (-1) the Blue/white stripe or Blue/brown stripe please ?

Ctuna, thanks for the link, its what Im following for my install, I did check the crossover pic prior to posting and the cables dont show a closeup of what the yellow stripe is connected too. Still waiting for MonsterAudioDesign to callback with hopefully an answer too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #36
Mo_far
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E93 325

I'm ordering the BMW Plug and Play Package 4 – Gladen ONE LINE BMW 201 EXTREME & Gladen One 120.4 DSP (basically your package but with Gladen extreme speakers).

Can you let me know what the MOSCONI QUADLOCK 5 METRE &
4 AWG WIRING KIT are? Do I need to get them?

My car is an E93 2007 with base audio and professional iDrive.

Can anyone tell me if the difference between the normal Gladen one 201 and Extreme speakers are noticeable and justify the extra money? I thought I should get the Extreme thinking they are higher quality units, can't find much to back this up thou

Quote:
Hiya again,

hanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #37
mraghvani
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi there,

I drive a BMW E91 330d M Sport Touring 2006 and have the iDrive Professional Navi like (
)

The Mosconi Quadlock 5 Metre cabling directly connects to the back of the CD / DVD Unit and at the other end has phono and speaker cables for connection to the MOSCONI amp.

The 4 AWG Wiring Kit are the power cables, phonos and fusebox, which connects from the car battery to the MOSCONI amp. The phonos can then be connected to the stereo

As for the difference between non-extreme and extreme, I can't help you here as I haven't tested both versions. I suggest you give Edd a call at MonsterAudioDesign and Im sure he'll be happy to explain in more detail

As for my setup, I don't have enough time to finish the install due to work commitments, so have booked into MonsterAudioDesign who will be completing the install in the next month. Pics to follow

Hope this helps,
eM
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #38
Mo_far
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E93 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraghvani
Hi there,

I drive a BMW E91 330d M Sport Touring 2006 and have the iDrive Professional Navi like (
)

The Mosconi Quadlock 5 Metre cabling directly connects to the back of the CD / DVD Unit and at the other end has phono and speaker cables for connection to the MOSCONI amp.

The 4 AWG Wiring Kit are the power cables, phonos and fusebox, which connects from the car battery to the MOSCONI amp. The phonos can then be connected to the stereo

As for the difference between non-extreme and extreme, I can't help you here as I haven't tested both versions. I suggest you give Edd a call at MonsterAudioDesign and Im sure he'll be happy to explain in more detail

As for my setup, I don't have enough time to finish the install due to work commitments, so have booked into MonsterAudioDesign who will be completing the install in the next month. Pics to follow

Hope this helps,
eM
Thanks a lot mate really helpful. I have the professional idrive as well and Edd recommended to get both the items.

I've been in touch with him and he's helpful indeed.

I'm ordering mine from MonsterAudio today and a friend is going to bring it back to Sydney.

Good luck with your set up and looking forward to seeing the install pics
Appreciate 0