E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Local Navigation on a different country

08-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
klamath
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Local Navigation on a different country

I'm about to import a 335i from US to Brazil. There are several reasons I'm doing that but that could be discussed on another topic.

My main concern right now is if I'll be able to load local (Brazilian) navigation maps on it. BMW Brazil already provide local maps to officially imported bimmers and they are telling me they need the VIN to see if they'll be able to get a FSC to activate the navigation.

Actually, they are trying to make me buy a car from them by saying that I'll probably not be able to get the FSC and I'll be better off buying a more expensive car with less options from them.

I'm trying to understand from an impartial source (this forum ) if that is really an impossibility or something difficult to achieve.

As I understand, my 335 will leave the US with its navigation initially activated and I would have to ask (buy) an UPDATE FSC to be able to load the Brazilian maps on it. Is that right? Is it possible that BMW restricts the region of the maps available to US Market vehicles? Am I trying to do something really difficult?

Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
midshrink
Bimmer Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to load local Brazilian maps into a US-spec BMW. When I bought my US-spec BMW in Germany, my iDrive came with European maps. When I brought it back to the US, I took it to a BMW dealer and they loaded the North American maps into the iDrive. How hard can it be?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
klamath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midshrink View Post
I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to load local Brazilian maps into a US-spec BMW. When I bought my US-spec BMW in Germany, my iDrive came with European maps. When I brought it back to the US, I took it to a BMW dealer and they loaded the North American maps into the iDrive. How hard can it be?
Well, I tend to believe that too. My concern comes from what BMW Brazil is telling me.

In fact a technician showed me a few VINs to which he was not able to enable navigation but he couldn't explain why. He was just receiving an error message.

On the other end, I'm trying to find the UPDATE FSC part number for Brazilian maps and I can't find it anywhere. I can't find the INITIAL FSC too so I might be looking on the wrong places?

What I've already found so far are a bunch of codes for other countries like the ones listed here.

To increase my concern, I'm now aware of something called "Country Controller" (Option codes S8L1A, S8LFA, S8LHA, S8LRA, S8LSA, S8LTA and possibly others) that seems to be required to some of the updates and also seems to be country specific.

I know I might be doing BMWs work here but I need to make sure if my local dealer is just incompetent (or dishonest) or if I really can't do this.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamath View Post
Well, I tend to believe that too. My concern comes from what BMW Brazil is telling me.

In fact a technician showed me a few VINs to which he was not able to enable navigation but he couldn't explain why. He was just receiving an error message.

On the other end, I'm trying to find the UPDATE FSC part number for Brazilian maps and I can't find it anywhere. I can't find the INITIAL FSC too so I might be looking on the wrong places?

What I've already found so far are a bunch of codes for other countries like the ones listed here.

To increase my concern, I'm now aware of something called "Country Controller" (Option codes S8L1A, S8LFA, S8LHA, S8LRA, S8LSA, S8LTA and possibly others) that seems to be required to some of the updates and also seems to be country specific.

I know I might be doing BMWs work here but I need to make sure if my local dealer is just incompetent (or dishonest) or if I really can't do this.

Thank you for your help.
First, call either the BMW distributor in South America or Tele Atlas and ask them if Brazil is mapped for the iDrive. So far Tele Atlas website does not show any maps available for Brazil, only as far south as Mexico.

So whatever map FSC BMW Brazil is talking about either is something between them and some subsidiary of Tele Atlas specifically or simply they are talking about something other than map FSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
klamath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
First, call either the BMW distributor in South America or Tele Atlas and ask them if Brazil is mapped for the iDrive. So far Tele Atlas website does not show any maps available for Brazil, only as far south as Mexico.
Yes it is. Locally purchased BMWs come loaded with Brazilian maps. I don't know about other map providers though.

I'll try to push them harder but it's impressive how difficult it is to get good service here. Even from a premium car maker like BMW.
Appreciate 0