E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Has anyone used the kerfing technic to build a sub box?

08-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Has anyone used the kerfing technic to build a sub box?

Has anyone used the kerfing method to build a sub-woofer box? I'm thinking about using that method to build a passage through my ski pass hole.

For those that haven't heard of kerfing, I have added this Youtube Video on kerfing.

The ski pass hole will be a challenge due to the passage having a larger opening on one end than the other.

I am going to take some measurements and see if I can get this right.

If anyone else has any interest in this type of project, I'd like to compare notes.

More as I go...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Looks interesting but why would you need a passage through the ski hole? Are you planning on mounting a larger driver behind the opening? In IB all you need to do is seal off the front and back waves from each other. So you just need to seal the baffle against the back of the seat.
      08-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Looks interesting but why would you need a passage through the ski hole? Are you planning on mounting a larger driver behind the opening? In IB all you need to do is seal off the front and back waves from each other. So you just need to seal the baffle against the back of the seat.
I am installing a JL Audio 12TW3-D4. It only requires 0.8 cu.ft., so I figured the trunk would be too much air space.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE934me View Post
Has anyone used the kerfing method to build a sub-woofer box? I'm thinking about using that method to build a passage through my ski pass hole.

For those that haven't heard of kerfing, I have added this Youtube Video on kerfing.

The ski pass hole will be a challenge due to the passage having a larger opening on one end than the other.

If anyone else has any interest in this type of project, I'd like to compare notes.

More as I go...
I dont really see the advantage of kerfing over just gluing MDF. The main problem with MDF is it is hard to sculpt to fit three dimensional spots. Which is why people fiberglass in-place enclosures to form fit them to the location for the driver (not the one holding onto the steering wheel). But maybe I dont understand what you are doing with the ski pass through.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem
Quote:

More as I go...
I dont really see the advantage of kerfing over just gluing MDF. The main problem with MDF is it is hard to sculpt to fit three dimensional spots. Which is why people fiberglass in-place enclosures to form fit them to the location for the driver (not the one holding onto the steering wheel). But maybe I dont understand what you are doing with the ski pass through.
You are probably right, it may be over doing things and it would be easier to just make a traditional angle cut glued box. I thought it war a cool way of making a box with rounded corners.

I took down measurements and plotted them into Autocad. Using the the math formulas on the video, I calculated using a 2" diameter. I think that kerfing is better used with curved corners 6" or greater diameters. When there is only a distance of 1-3/8", it makes it truly difficult (impossible) to saw 12 lines in that space without cutting the entire space out.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
You are probably right, it may be over doing things and it would be easier to just make a traditional angle cut glued box. I thought it war a cool way of making a box with rounded corners.

I took down measurements and plotted them into Autocad. Using the the math formulas on the video, I calculated using a 2" diameter. I think that kerfing is better used with curved corners 6" or greater diameters. When there is only a distance of 1-3/8", it makes it truly difficult (impossible) to saw 12 lines in that space without cutting the entire space out.
Yeah, it looks like the kind of thing you might want to do for style. Something more for a home enclosure. I suppose you must fill the airspaces created by the technique within the corner with glue? Doesnt sound like it will be a strong as glued MDF, or as sound absorbent (though still probably better than fiberglass) and internal reinforcing spines will be a bit more difficult to cut.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0