E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Dc for a few days, what to see?

03-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Question Dc for a few days, what to see?

Gonna be heading to dc for a few days next weekend. Girl dragging me down for the cherry blossom festival. Anything in particular I should be looking to see? Have been through dc just driving by, never stayed. Any suggestions guys seeing as I dont have much time there? Wanna get to the smithsonian, and couple others. Tia

Smoke

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Well, you could always stop by Obumer's house.

Go to the mall, walk to the capital, monument (can't go in being repaired) check out the museum of natural history and air and space museum. If you have time do the tour at the holocaust museum, very emotional experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Bobbys burger palace
Best damn hamburger in this city
      03-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Go out to Katie's Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings. Walker Road in Great Falls Va. It's early Saturdays, so I doubt you have anything else going on!! Eat at Cactus Cantina or Lauriol Plaza (owned by the same person... food is the same), Thomas Sweet in Georgetown for dessert. Your girl should like shopping in Georgetown (your wallet won't). Bar at the top of the W hotel... awesome views (including White House). Check out a Caps game if you get the chance. Great atmosphere at home games. Clyde's restaurant right next to the stadium. Walk on the Capitol steps at night. Monuments at night (no crowds, plus cool with all the lighting). Paddle boats near the Jefferson memorial (and right next to those Cherry Blossoms). Watch out for speed cameras!! I know there's more, just can't think of it off the top of my head at the moment. Have fun!
      03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Well, you could always stop by Obumer's house.

Go to the mall, walk to the capital, monument (can't go in being repaired) check out the museum of natural history and air and space museum. If you have time do the tour at the holocaust museum, very emotional experience.
Yes that's right. I wanted to see the holocaust museum. Thanks for that one.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Bobbys burger palace
Best damn hamburger in this city
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Go out to Katie's Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings. Walker Road in Great Falls Va. It's early Saturdays, so I doubt you have anything else going on!! Eat at Cactus Cantina or Lauriol Plaza (owned by the same person... food is the same), Thomas Sweet in Georgetown for dessert. Your girl should like shopping in Georgetown (your wallet won't). Bar at the top of the W hotel... awesome views (including White House). Check out a Caps game if you get the chance. Great atmosphere at home games. Clyde's restaurant right next to the stadium. Walk on the Capitol steps at night. Monuments at night (no crowds, plus cool with all the lighting). Paddle boats near the Jefferson memorial (and right next to those Cherry Blossoms). Watch out for speed cameras!! I know there's more, just can't think of it off the top of my head at the moment. Have fun!
Ahahaha (homer donuts drool) @ all those food places. Don't even know where to start. Def will try to schedule the monuments around night time. Thanks for all the ideas guys. Keep em coming like a hooker on pay day.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
if I only had time to visit one place, it would be Arlington National Cemetery. Try the tour of Robert E Lee's house and the tomb of the unknown Soldier. Take a good look at generations of real heros. Makes some of the other sites seem trivial.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

There's a lot to do. Even if you stick by the mall, you'll have enough to fill at least two days.

Holocaust Museum is a must see, but it can be emotionally draining.

The Smithsonian has a number of museums on the mall. The Air & Space Museum has one of the best IMAX screens I've seen.

If Congress is in session you can stop by the Capital Building and see them at work. Or whatever you want to call it. Last time I went, they had visitors' entrances on the side.

Lincoln Memorial is inspiring.

If you can venture out a bit, the Air & Space museum also has an exhibit hall near Dulles Airport. It houses a Space Shuttle used in flight testing as well as the Enola Gay no less. Parking is the only real cost.

Great Falls Park is not far from Dulles. It's off the beltway along the border between VA and MD. Getting there is a nice drive and the falls and C&O canal are fun to see. It's part of a continious trail that follows the canal tow path. If you have enough time you can walk all 184 miles.

Annapolis and the Naval Academy are an hour away from downtown D.C.. It has a nice small town atmosphere.

Old Towne Alexandria is closer by. King St. down by the Potomac is fun and they have some nice shops.

I could keep going, but suffice to say, you won't be bored.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
MacR6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

What ever you do WATCH OUT FOR SPEED CAMERAS!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Thanks for all the replys guys, i think i have a good weekend planned out w the help you guys provided. and most likely will be taking the train and cabs everywhere but will watch for the cameras if i drive.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
rust99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

To get around town, I'd suggest CaBi (Capital Bikeshare). They just added a new membership option geared for tourists (3-day membership at $15). Note you still have to pay for usage of the bike - but it's a cheap alternative to get around DC and Arlington. You can return a bike at any station!

CaBi just added new dock stations near the Mall. The availability of bikes at stations near the Mall and nearby Metro stations will probably be limited over the next few weeks because of the Cherry Blossoms.

Download the Spotcycle app to find stations and availability of bikes: http://www.spotcycle.net/

You can take as many trips as you'd like during your membership period and the first 30 minutes of each trip are free! After the first 30 minutes, you will be charged an additional fee. For example, a 90-minute trip would cost you nothing for the 1st 30-minute period, $1.50 for the second 30 minutes, and $3.00 for the third - for a total of $4.50

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
DC

This is a MUST>>>The Smithsonian has a number of museums on the mall. The Air & Space Museum has one of the best IMAX screens I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rust99 View Post
To get around town, I'd suggest CaBi (Capital Bikeshare). They just added a new membership option geared for tourists (3-day membership at $15). Note you still have to pay for usage of the bike - but it's a cheap alternative to get around DC and Arlington. You can return a bike at any station!

CaBi just added new dock stations near the Mall. The availability of bikes at stations near the Mall and nearby Metro stations will probably be limited over the next few weeks because of the Cherry Blossoms.

Download the Spotcycle app to find stations and availability of bikes: http://www.spotcycle.net/

You can take as many trips as you'd like during your membership period and the first 30 minutes of each trip are free! After the first 30 minutes, you will be charged an additional fee. For example, a 90-minute trip would cost you nothing for the 1st 30-minute period, $1.50 for the second 30 minutes, and $3.00 for the third - for a total of $4.50

very cool and great info. thanks for that also

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Thanks for all the help guys. Had a blast the last two days. We've been all
over dc. Adams Morgan, DuPont circle and a few other places for drinks and fun times. Managed to get a lot of face time in w the museums while it was raining and then the monuments when there was a break in the weather. All in all great experience and definitely will be returning again.

Oh yea and saw the trees to. Main reason got dragged here

Appreciate 0