E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Figuring out how to add BMW Apps to 2011 E9X

05-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Figuring out how to add BMW Apps to 2011 E9X

I am trying to figure out how to add BMW Apps (S6NRA) in my 2011 (12/2010 build) E93 but apparently no one is talking.

Therefore I have been working to figure this out. I was supposed to read a friend's car this week which has 6NR from the factory but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

In the meantime I have been digging through the daten files and every website I can find. The daten files were quite interesting. Starting with version 39, BMW Apps 6NR has shown up in the E89AT.000 file. Digging a bit deeper I found another reference to 6NR in the E89AEDOC.000 file. It seems to indicate that versions "C14" of "CIC" & "CICM" contain "New CI, control of SA 6NR extended".

Since I have CIC.C13 & CICM.C13 it looks like I need an upgrade before I can get apps working. Although after than it seems like adding it to the VO will take care of it, but I'm not sure. This is all just my thoughts / guesses but I think I'll be able to confirm it if/when I get to read my friend's car.

I'm posting this all so that we can work together for a solution or DIY to get this added to vehicle with all the hardware but lacking the software. Hope this helps and stirs some thoughts.

Also, if anyone has a VO from a 2011 with BMW Apps, please post it. It would be really nice to confirm the module versions too.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
seacat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is Convertible

I am in the exact situation as I have all the necessary hardware. I'll be watching this thread with great interest! Thanks for posing the question.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Without upgrading the CIC and the Combox firmware first then no VO change, no NCS Expert DATEN files update and no hardware retrofit will make 6NR to be enabled, much less to work.

It is just not there.

Now, if your CIC/Combox firmware is post 03/11 then this thread would be useful.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey Technic thanks for chiming in. Sorry if I wasn't clear but I do know and expect that I'll need to update the CIC / Combox software. I have been checking the daten versions to see where I find them to contain 6NR. From examining the files it seems V39 has the needed software, although it also seems I am one version back on my CIC and possibly on my Combox as well.

Personally I didn't expect to see it until V40 or V41 but I did find some reference to it in V39 as stated previously. It didn't seem that V40 or V41 offer any additional upgrades as far as 6NR is concerned but I could be wrong. I'm still trying to get a good grasp of all of this.

I believe I have all the hardware needed and therefore have been working to find the software and VO coding needed. For example, after my software upgrade do I remove my 6NF and replace it with 6NR? Or do I simply add 6NR to the VO in addition to my existing 6NF? If I can read my friend's car I think all of this will be very clear but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to read his car.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
brettpearce
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Any progress here? Didn't want to wait for a factory order so I took a stock 335is but it didn't have Apps. Unfortunately I won't be much help but definitely am interested in this happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettpearce View Post
Any progress here? Didn't want to wait for a factory order so I took a stock 335is but it didn't have Apps. Unfortunately I won't be much help but definitely am interested in this happening.
Well as Techinc mentioned above, you'll need to have the CIC and Combox firmware upgraded to post 03/11 levels. For the CIC I know that means CIC.C16 but I don't remember the needed level of the Combox. Basically you need an OPPS or ICOM head to update the firmware or somehow convince your dealer to do it. Or I guess you could pay one of these guys selling the service to update and install Apps but an OPPS head will probably cost you less and you'll have it for the future.

Once the firmware is upgraded you can either add BMW APPS to your VO and update or just coding it in.

Personally I'm waiting to get an OPPS or ICOM but just can't justify the price at this time.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
aermet
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have a 6/11 build 335 without bmw apps but with the latest CIC and combox and would like to very much enable bmw apps.

A very good friend of mine is a tech at a BMW dealer and I can pretty much use my car as the guinea pig to help figure out how to enable the bmw apps. He has actually inquired to local bmw technical and you can probably believe this, but he hasn't spoken to anyone who knows how to retrofit this yet. Being that they are not coders but general technical staff, this is understandable.

He will program/re-program my components as necessary until the proper steps/solution is found if I can find out exactly what needs to be done.

As I'm reading, does one start with the programming bmw apps enabled firmware in the CIC, then program and enable the bmw apps?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looks like you have it easy.

EDIT: Looks like you *might* have it easy. I assumed that you where at the current firmware levels since you stated you have the "latest CIC and combox" but that might not be true. Check your CIC level, if it's CIC.C16 you are probably good. Then you can just do as below..... otherwise you'll need to update the levels beforehand. Basically what I'm stuck at.

Just have your tech friend code $6NR to your FA/VO and then code the car to update the modules based on the VO.

Someone had success coding $6NR with FA_WRITE to (CAS, NFRM) and SG_CODIEREN to (CIC, MEDIA), then all the correct fields were changed.

I still need to update my software, so I haven't been able to do it yet.

P.S. Unless you have smartphone integration and a snap-in, you won't get full functionality but you should be able to use Pandora and such through the USB cable.

Last edited by mr_milo; 08-26-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
aermet
Rep

I was chatting with my tech friend today (understand that he's a great tech, but not a coder) and he was under the impression that he needed to get my car's info to a contact at bmw so that they could create a vo to download to the dealer computer and then the correct vo with bmw apps is programmed into the car.

I asked him the exact question, to which you point out regarding just adding bmw apps, which was, could he simply enable 6NR on the computer he uses to program and program my car with it? His reply was that the computer does not know what it's programming into a car without a vo, or a vo attached to a vin, and that a vo for bmw apps needs to be downloaded from bmw for my car/vin.

I'm brand new to this whole coding idea so forgive me if I don't have certain details correct or don't quite understand the process correctly. Is there any helpful information that you might be able to add and that I could tell him?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Subscribing... Great interest also for my 7/2011 E90 335i.
      08-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

@aermet, I think the difference is that he is using the new ISSS / ISTA software and we are still using the older NCS / WinKFP software. With the older software it is very easy to read your VO (from the car), add the new option ($6NR in this case), then write the new VO back to the car. Once the car has the new VO, you will need to update the modules based on the new VO. This will load the new defaults for the new VO, adding the options and needed coding for BMW Apps. Alternately you could just code in BMW Apps by activating the needed functions. Again this is all assuming you have the needed firmware version in your modules.

I have no idea how the new software works that your tech friend has. Therefore I don't know what he might need to do but I highly doubt he'll have to get a code from BMW because the code is already known.

First you need to know if your up to the correct firmware levels and then go from there. Might check if there is anyone local that has the old software. Checking the levels is an easy read of the modules and adding to the VO and recoding is pretty straight forward too. If I had the correct firmware levels, I'd have Apps by now but unfortunately I need the more intensive firmware update first.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
aermet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
@aermet, I think the difference is that he is using the new ISSS / ISTA software and we are still using the older NCS / WinKFP software. With the older software it is very easy to read your VO (from the car), add the new option ($6NR in this case), then write the new VO back to the car. Once the car has the new VO, you will need to update the modules based on the new VO. This will load the new defaults for the new VO, adding the options and needed coding for BMW Apps. Alternately you could just code in BMW Apps by activating the needed functions. Again this is all assuming you have the needed firmware version in your modules.

I have no idea how the new software works that your tech friend has. Therefore I don't know what he might need to do but I highly doubt he'll have to get a code from BMW because the code is already known.

First you need to know if your up to the correct firmware levels and then go from there. Might check if there is anyone local that has the old software. Checking the levels is an easy read of the modules and adding to the VO and recoding is pretty straight forward too. If I had the correct firmware levels, I'd have Apps by now but unfortunately I need the more intensive firmware update first.
My car literally just got off the boat last week, so my assumption is that it has the CIC.16 you referred to. I'll confirm that this coming week.

Had a long chat with him today in front of the computer. Please allow me to try to explain what I gleaned from the conversation.

He showed me on one computer screen (unfortunately I don't know the version or acronyms) the flow chart type layout with squares representing all the modules in a given car. He said that when a car is plugged in, each module shows what is possible to program. If there is a retrofit or other possible options to program into a module, the screen will show the options. 6NR, not being a supported retrofit, does not show as an option to be added as of yet.

Their particular store has a programming tech who does almost all of the programming, and with whom I'm acquainted, and I'll chat with him next week. I will inquire and mention the NCA/WIN and see what I find out.

It appears to me that at the dealership level, they appear to somewhat have their hands tied as to what their hardware and software systems allow them to do in personalizing the programming and features whereas the guys who have learned to code the cars themselves have virtually limitless possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Looks like you have it easy.

EDIT: Looks like you *might* have it easy. I assumed that you where at the current firmware levels since you stated you have the "latest CIC and combox" but that might not be true. Check your CIC level, if it's CIC.C16 you are probably good. Then you can just do as below..... otherwise you'll need to update the levels beforehand. Basically what I'm stuck at.

Just have your tech friend code $6NR to your FA/VO and then code the car to update the modules based on the VO.

Someone had success coding $6NR with FA_WRITE to (CAS, NFRM) and SG_CODIEREN to (CIC, MEDIA), then all the correct fields were changed.

I still need to update my software, so I haven't been able to do it yet.

P.S. Unless you have smartphone integration and a snap-in, you won't get full functionality but you should be able to use Pandora and such through the USB cable.
I just did the above procedure on my 2011 E90 (7/11 build date) and I have the web radio, Facebook, Twitter, & Calendar functions working through the standard white iPhone cable (no snap-in installed). On the ConnectedDrive screen there are two sections under the BMW Apps heading, The section under "snap-in apps" is blank. I'm assuming that is where I would see the video enabled applications if the snap-in adapter is installed.

I might consider adding the snap-in adapter at some point, but for the moment, I'm happy to have the basic functions working.

Good luck!
      08-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
aermet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I just did the above procedure on my 2011 E90 (7/11 build date) and I have the web radio, Facebook, Twitter, & Calendar functions working through the standard white iPhone cable (no snap-in installed). On the ConnectedDrive screen there are two sections under the BMW Apps heading, The section under "snap-in apps" is blank. I'm assuming that is where I would see the video enabled applications if the snap-in adapter is installed.

I might consider adding the snap-in adapter at some point, but for the moment, I'm happy to have the basic functions working.

Good luck!
Did you do this at the dealer level or did you use the FA write/SG that milo mentioned?

My apologies, but I'm not aware of what FA write is at this point.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aermet View Post
Did you do this at the dealer level or did you use the FA write/SG that milo mentioned?

My apologies, but I'm not aware of what FA write is at this point.
thanks
I used NCSEXPERT and the method described above by mr_milo.

FA_WRITE is one of the coding jobs in NCSEXPERT. For most work you use SG_CODIEREN but to change the VO string, you need FA_WRITE. There's a PDF floating around called "USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.pdf" that explains exactly how to use it.

I have found a lot of information on another not to be mentioned here forum...
      08-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #16
aermet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I used NCSEXPERT and the method described above by mr_milo.

FA_WRITE is one of the coding jobs in NCSEXPERT. For most work you use SG_CODIEREN but to change the VO string, you need FA_WRITE. There's a PDF floating around called "USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.pdf" that explains exactly how to use it.

I have found a lot of information on another not to be mentioned here forum...
Thanks for the clarification. The last 45 min or so have been spent reading the FAQ on THE site. It seems I need a cable, the NCS/inpa/eibas software, and the newer daten files. It's starting to make sense to me now, though the details are not all clear.
At least I can understand what is meant by SG and FA. I'm considering undertaking the process of buying the cable and doing it all.

If that occurs, would you mind if I bothered you regarding the specific steps to change VO and then NCS to enable the apps? Perhaps after I read the pdf files on how to get started, I won't need to, but just in case. I imagine the steps are the same for many mods, this is just all new to me.
many thanks
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Sure. Send me a PM on either site. Same username.
      08-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Edited: Removed iphone App error post!

Last edited by mr_milo; 08-28-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Damn iPhone app!

srwatters- Meant to say Great glad that you got it working!

You guys are lucky to have the correct firmware levels. Wish I did.

Last edited by mr_milo; 08-28-2011 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Arendt - I tried to pm you last night but it seems you don't have enough posts. I'll check again when I'm at the computer. If I'm close enough I'd be willing to help.
Your friend is stuck because there is no retrofit and it seems he can't or doesn't know how to manually change the VO.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

FYI:

- if your production date is 03/11+ then changing your VO to add $6NR is valid as 6NR was factory available after that date.This means that subsequent software updates at the dealer would support that VO change.

- if your production date is 02/11 and back then a change of VO to add $6NR is not valid as there is no factory 6NR installed before that date. It could be possible that a dealer sofware update be denied/aborted by detecting an invalid VO.

Please try to understand how the factory VO and updating process works before posting methods or steps without the OEM fundamentals behind such methods or steps. The methods or steps may work once but warranty work may not later.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
FYI:

- if your production date is 03/11+ then changing your VO to add $6NR is valid as 6NR was factory available after that date.This means that subsequent software updates at the dealer would support that VO change.

- if your production date is 02/11 and back then a change of VO to add $6NR is not valid as there is no factory 6NR installed before that date. It could be possible that a dealer sofware update be denied/aborted by detecting an invalid VO.
Yes you are correct and this is obviously understood. You can't add something that didn't exist. (Well actually you can but that takes a production date change and the issues that go with that.)

Although, if you read above the two people asking had an 05/11 build and an 07/11 build, therefore simply adding $6NR to the VO and updating as I stated would be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Please try to understand how the factory VO and updating process works before posting methods or steps without the OEM fundamentals behind such methods or steps. The methods or steps may work once but warranty work may not later.
Considering the build dates of the two people and the fact that the option did exist at the time, is there an issue here? I don't think so but I could very well be wrong. I do believe that if BMW checked the VO to the factory VO they could see the change. Is that what you mean by "but warranty work may not later". And if so, how would it be any different with Patryk's implementation. Hell at least we'll stay OEM, unlike his "OEM solution" which uses OEM parts in a NON-OEM configuration.
Appreciate 0