E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > changing brake pads while bleeding

10-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Question changing brake pads while bleeding

I am using the motive pressure bleeder. Is it okay to swap in new brake pads while the bleed nozzle is closed but the pressure bleeder is pumped up and attached to the master cylinder? Obviously, the new pads will be pushing in the pistons. Will this introduce any air?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Why do you want to pressurize the system when changing out your brakes? Why not change them out first before bleeding the system?

Motive bleeder is very good btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

If it's pressurised I don't think you will be able to push back the piston physically. But yeah like above I don't get it why you want to do both at same time?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

I wanted to be able to do both tasks while only taking the wheel off once (I don't have a lift or stands, only a jack). Seems like you guys are telling me I probably cannot. Is it okay to depressurize the motive bleeder after doing one corner and then put the pad in?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
I wanted to be able to do both tasks while only taking the wheel off once (I don't have a lift or stands, only a jack). Seems like you guys are telling me I probably cannot. Is it okay to depressurize the motive bleeder after doing one corner and then put the pad in?
I mean at this point I would just get 4 jack stands lol.

But yeah you can depressurize it as long as the bleeder is closed. Just watch out to not spill brake fluid out the brake reservoir when you push the piston in depending on if you use your motive dry or not.
Appreciate 0