E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Warped Rotors or Something Else?

05-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Izero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335Xi - Alpine White

Warped Rotors or Something Else?

So I took a long road trip from NJ to FL (and back)... on the way there A truck cut me off while I was going 85+ and he was going wayyyy slower, so I had to stomp the brakes (my sleeping passengers were not thrilled)....

Anyways, while in that emergency brake situation the brakes felt like they weren't engaging right... they almost felt like they were slipping instead of grabbing like they always did... I was able to slow down and continue on my way.

As I was getting off the highway nearly 300+ miles later I was going to slow down for an off-ramp and I felt the steering wheel vibrate a little bit...

After refueling, travelling at slow speeds and just easing into the brake the steering wheel was shaking pretty badly.

Now I am back in NJ and I am still getting a bit of vibration at cruising speed [and I mean a TINY bit] and then if I lightly brake the steering wheel shakes, but if I give the car more brake I don't get vibration at all. and when turning right I can hear something that kind of sounds like a rubbing metal sound but when turning left the car is completely silent.

Do you guys think this is a wheel bearing, warped brake rotors or something else?

car only has 50k miles on it, it's a 2008 E90 335xi w/ JB4 and BMS DCI.... otherwise completely stock.

I did replace the front brake pads about 5,000 miles ago and haven't had a single issue with the brakes at all.

I plan on getting the car up on jack stands this weekend (weather permitting) and taking a look, so I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for or how to check anything that might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
      05-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

I'd start with checking control arm bushings. If one of them failed during that initial hard braking event that would explain the slipping feeling, and the vibration you describe is exactly the same symptoms my failed bushing presented with.

Fair warning - Most people say you can see fluid leaking out of them, but I wasn't able to actually identify the failure until I had the control arm off the car.
      05-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, I'll check those too... if I don't see fluid how else can I check them for failure?

I find it very odd that they would fail at such low mileage... is that normal?

I've been reading that the M3 bushing are solid and not liquid filled... are those a better option?
      05-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
I would also check for a seized caliper guide bushing. If the brakes aren't centered properly on the rotor it could explain why you felt the poor braking response.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

So had some clear and newly paved roads to figure out exactly what is going on...

Under Heavy Braking there is little to no shaking in the steering wheel.

Under Light Braking there is light shaking at higher speeds and then heavy shaking from ~50mph-40mph then it nearly completely disappears.

Car is pulling slightly to the left

Cruising speeds I can hear a rubbing sound that increases and sounds like "whomp whomp whomp"

The sound also increase when turning right, and completely disappears when turning left.

At speeds above 75mph I can feel a shake in the steering wheel.

Because of all of this I am really leaning more towards this being a wheel bearing problem, specifically with the front left bearing, does anyone disagree?
      05-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I think you have a blown front right tension strut bushing:

Part 8 is what I'm referring too. So some searches for wheel wobble and tension strut on this forums, you should see a bunch of threads. When mine went I just took the opportunity to upgrade to M3 arms (I can't confirm if they would work on xi cars).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Searched and the only thread that looks similar ended up being a few bent wheels....

I'll keep looking, I appreciate the help.

Do you think replacement of the tension strut bushing is a DIY? I'm pretty capable, and usually do all my own repairs unless specialty tools are needed.

Would I need an alignment after replacement?
      05-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Fair warning - Most people say you can see fluid leaking out of them, but I wasn't able to actually identify the failure until I had the control arm off the car.
Curious; what exactly did you find when you took the control arm off? Also, what did you actually replace? Was the upper or lower the problem? Both?

Either way OP, I agree; if not a control arm issue, it could very well be a bearing, as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero View Post
Searched and the only thread that looks similar ended up being a few bent wheels....

I'll keep looking, I appreciate the help.

Do you think replacement of the tension strut bushing is a DIY? I'm pretty capable, and usually do all my own repairs unless specialty tools are needed.

Would I need an alignment after replacement?
If you went the M3 route you would need an alignment as it adds extra camber so you would need to adjust the tie rods. If you go OEM it is a direct bolt on and shouldn't require an alignment. I never DIY'd these parts so I can't comment on the difficulty. I would think it would be pretty straight forward.

See these helpful threads:
Similar issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588035
DIYs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588035
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778726
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Ksusha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi M-Sport

Great, you just described what's happening to me too and I only have 39k miles. Started happening after I had to slam on brakes at 30mph and they did not engage (rainy weather assuming). Let me know what you end up figuring out!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
If you went the M3 route you would need an alignment as it adds extra camber so you would need to adjust the tie rods. If you go OEM it is a direct bolt on and shouldn't require an alignment. I never DIY'd these parts so I can't comment on the difficulty. I would think it would be pretty straight forward.

See these helpful threads:
Similar issue: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588035
DIYs: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588035
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778726
OP has an Xi
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksusha View Post
Great, you just described what's happening to me too and I only have 39k miles. Started happening after I had to slam on brakes at 30mph and they did not engage (rainy weather assuming). Let me know what you end up figuring out!
I'll take a look this weekend and post up what I find... hopefully it's something I can fix myself....
      05-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Curious; what exactly did you find when you took the control arm off? Also, what did you actually replace? Was the upper or lower the problem? Both?
I identified a torsional shear failure of the big rubber bushing on the upper control arm, I don't remember if it was right vs. left. Swapped in the ///M upper and lower front control arms as I had been wanting to do that upgrade for awhile and had a strong suspicion that one of my control arm bushings was bad based on my symptoms and lots of research on this forum.
      05-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I identified a torsional shear failure of the big rubber bushing on the upper control arm, I don't remember if it was right vs. left. Swapped in the ///M upper and lower front control arms as I had been wanting to do that upgrade for awhile and had a strong suspicion that one of my control arm bushings was bad based on my symptoms and lots of research on this forum.
Yes, but the M3 rubber bushings don't fit the X-drive vehicles.... so I think I'm stuck with OEM or OEM Equivalents...

If that's not the case then I may just upgrade to the M3 bushings and call it a day, we shall see.
      05-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but the M3 rubber bushings don't fit the X-drive vehicles.... so I think I'm stuck with OEM or OEM Equivalents...

If that's not the case then I may just upgrade to the M3 bushings and call it a day, we shall see.
Yeah I'm not sure what your actual solution would be as I have no experience with the xi front end, just offering the information I have on where your problem might lie.
      05-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I think Meyle makes an upgraded OEM tension strut that uses solid rubber bushings instead of the fluid filled bushings on the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I think Meyle makes an upgraded OEM tension strut that uses solid rubber bushings instead of the fluid filled bushings on the OEM ones.
Got a link? I can't seem to find them...
      06-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #18
Izero
Private First Class
Rep

So I found the problem, it's actually a worn Outer Tie-Rod End. I will be replacing it and getting an alignment and follow-up with all of you on if that resolves the problem completely or not.

Ksusha