E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Got ticket in California while holding Ontario driver's licence

01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Got ticket in California while holding Ontario driver's licence

Hi everyone, my friend has Ontario's driver's licence and he recently got a ticket for speeding in California. He wants to know will he lose points for the ticket and will his insurance rate raise? Also, if he don't admit the crime and don't pay the fine, what's gonna happen? Finally, if the ticket will effect his insurance, is that possible to avoid it? Any advice is appreciated, Thank you guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
bling_singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
May be rated for out of province speeding tickets, but I don't think such tickets show up on Ontario drivers abstracts. His best bet is to pay it then never mention it. It's quite possible that if he does not have any tickets or accidents in the last 2-3 years that his insurance company isn't running his reports every year anyway.

edit - unless of course he has the time to fight the ticket while he's down there. that's always your best bet.
      01-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling_singh View Post
May be rated for out of province speeding tickets, but I don't think such tickets show up on Ontario drivers abstracts. His best bet is to pay it then never mention it. It's quite possible that if he does not have any tickets or accidents in the last 2-3 years that his insurance company isn't running his reports every year anyway.

edit - unless of course he has the time to fight the ticket while he's down there. that's always your best bet.
Thank you sir, your information is very useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Tell your friend to pay the ticket. Going back to CA for court hearing is way more expensive. Ontario shares database with states of New York & Michigan so his fine.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepep View Post
Tell your friend to pay the ticket. Going back to CA for court hearing is way more expensive. Ontario shares database with states of New York & Michigan so his fine.
+1

He is fine for points. Just pay the fine, he won't loose points regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
+1

+1 and a side note, if he does not pay the fine, when he goes back to Cali and he gets pulled over for what ever reason, they will see the unpaid fine and arrest him on the spot and be jailed until he settles up.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
BennyJones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M Sport F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw
Quote:
+1

+1 and a side note, if he does not pay the fine, when he goes back to Cali and he gets pulled over for what ever reason, they will see the unpaid fine and arrest him on the spot and be jailed until he settles up.
+1... This happened to my sister, tell him to pay the fine and avoid the headaches and embarrassment later...
      01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Iceburg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 B8.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJones View Post
+1... This happened to my sister, tell him to pay the fine and avoid the headaches and embarrassment later...
+2, first hand experience, had a speeding ticket issued in US, never paid it, visited many times after that, pulled over for unrelated item 2 years later and I was almost arrested, I was summoned to court and ended up just paying the damn thing, no affect on DL status in Canada, just pay it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Pay the ticket and your friend will be fine.......honest.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Thank you guys, very appreciate!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJones
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I used to live in Cali for a bit.

Won't get points because no reciprocity between Cali and Ontario. This no info share means no insurance hikes.

You have 3 options:
1. Pay
2. Trial by Declaration - meaning you submit a statement (mini essay) explaining the facts and why you are unable to show to court ie you live in Ontario. This shall serve as your appearance in court. Then wait for verdict. Might pay a reduced fine, full fine, or none at all.
3. Not pay - and if you get pulled over again in California you can get arrested on the spot. Keep in mind if you don't intend to return to Cali in like 3-4 years.. Then this Will clear. Check/google the statute of limitations for speeding tickets in California to see how many years until they expire.
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyJones
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I used to live in Cali for a bit.

Won't get points because no reciprocity between Cali and Ontario. This no info share means no insurance hikes.

You have 3 options:
1. Pay
2. Trial by Declaration - meaning you submit a statement (mini essay) explaining the facts and why you are unable to show to court ie you live in Ontario. This shall serve as your appearance in court. Then wait for verdict. Might pay a reduced fine, full fine, or none at all.
3. Not pay - and if you get pulled over again in California you can get arrested on the spot. Keep in mind if you don't intend to return to Cali in like 3-4 years.. Then this Will clear. Check/google the statute of limitations for speeding tickets in California to see how many years until they expire.
Pay and get it over with.

Never mention it again.

Ontario abstracts are likely only shared with the rest of Canada if not only Ontario. - lucky for him.
Appreciate 0