E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Automatic Light Shutdown

02-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E91

Automatic Light Shutdown

I have a e91 with build date 2007/02 and therefore have a FRM1 module

I would like to use my angel eyes (low beam) as the welcome light feature, but having a FRM1 it's impossible.

However, I did come upon a line in the FRM module that says:

AUTOM_LICHT_ABSCHALTUNG
nicht_aktiv

which translates to automatice light shutdown, and was wondering if this could shut down the lights (in my case the angel eyes- ie low beam) after a certain time.

However I changed it to aktiv but again I waited and nothing, the lights continued on even after 1 min

Maybe the value has to be changed to something like wert_01 or other in order to get the timer function to work.

In this way if after lets say 10s the lights are switched off then upon unlocking the car, since the light switch is already on the "low beam" setting the angel eyes/ lights would come... wala.. welcome lights.

Any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
You need the frm2 in order to get it. I bought one and programmed it to my car. Now I have drl and welcome lights
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich123321 View Post
You need the frm2 in order to get it. I bought one and programmed it to my car. Now I have drl and welcome lights
+1

The best way to get AE as DRL (OEM way).

You can also hardwire by using a harness called Daeos. Code out your DRL and this harness will power the AE as DRL.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know, this would be the correct $$$ soultion however I am fine with having to manually switch the light swith to low beams in order to have the DRL, but what I would like to know through this AUTOM_LICHT_ABSCHALTUNG is whether it's possible to switch off the lights after locking the car, let say after 10s.

If this can be done then i would have a poor mans solution to WL.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973
Quote:
Yeah I know, this would be the correct $$$ soultion however I am fine with having to manually switch the light swith to low beams in order to have the DRL, but what I would like to know through this AUTOM_LICHT_ABSCHALTUNG is whether it's possible to switch off the lights after locking the car, let say after 10s.

If this can be done then i would have a poor mans solution to WL.

Cheers
Not sure. If it works but its not the right time you can see which values change and hex edit it to 10 seconds in nettodat
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Not sure. If it works but its not the right time you can see which values change and hex edit it to 10 seconds in nettodat
Ok that sounds doable, however I will require some help in the editing Nettodat hex values

I know the Nettodat is that file with all the hex code NCS brings up when we read the module.

So what youre suggesting is that I read the module with AUTOM_LICHT_ABSCHALTUNG in nicht_aktiv and save it, and then read the module again with it as AUTOM_LICHT_ABSCHALTUNG in aktiv.

Compare the two files to see what changes and then read the hex value and edit to the correspoding value, lets say 10s.

Doing the reading of the two versions is easy, but how do I compare the two files and make out what the hex values are? Any help here

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Compared NettoDat

Hi,

I have compared the two nettodat files and the differance found was the following:

30 33 34 30 34 30 30 2C 30 30 31 30 2C 30 39 2C
30 33 34 30 34 30 30 2C 30 30 31 30 2C 30 38 2C

The value 39 is when coding in aktiv and changes to 38 when coded nicht_aktiv.

So what does this mean, any help in the hex department
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
e90drvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Terra 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post
The value 39 is when coding in aktiv and changes to 38 when coded nicht_aktiv.
This is simply how the computer has been programmed to recognize this function as on or off.

The only acceptable values for this are aktiv and nicht_aktiv. The function is listed in NCS Dummy as "automatically switch off lights when switching off ignition with light switch set to low beams". So when you stop the engine do your lights turn off? 'nicht_aktiv' would mean that they stay on. the problem is that mine is set to nicht_aktiv and my xenons turn off immediately with ignition off. my parking lights remain on though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90drvr View Post
This is simply how the computer has been programmed to recognize this function as on or off.

The only acceptable values for this are aktiv and nicht_aktiv. The function is listed in NCS Dummy as "automatically switch off lights when switching off ignition with light switch set to low beams". So when you stop the engine do your lights turn off? 'nicht_aktiv' would mean that they stay on. the problem is that mine is set to nicht_aktiv and my xenons turn off immediately with ignition off. my parking lights remain on though.
I have tried setting this setting to aktiv and when switching off the car the low beams remain on.. I waited 1 min and nothing, the lights still continued on so I don't really know how long it takes to automatically switch off the headlights. I had it as nicht_aktiv in the original.

Maybe there is an addition line that has to be altered, but until now I have no idea..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
e90drvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Graphite/Terra 330i

Quote:
switching off the car the low beams remain on
are you sure they are the low beams, as in the H7 bulbs on the outside of your headlight? i have xenons so my headlamp configuration is a little different than yours. can you upload a photo of your lights so that we don't misunderstand each other again

Quote:
I don't really know how long it takes to automatically switch off the headlights.
Should be instantaneous upon ignition off.
Quote:
Maybe there is an addition line that has to be altered, but until now I have no idea..
I agree that there must be something else going on since changing the setting doesn't change the behavior. Like I said, mine is set to nicht_aktiv and my headlights still turn off.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90drvr View Post
are you sure they are the low beams, as in the H7 bulbs on the outside of your headlight? i have xenons so my headlamp configuration is a little different than yours. can you upload a photo of your lights so that we don't misunderstand each other again :thumbs up
And yes you are correct, I mean parking lights and not low beams.. sorry to have misled you.

I also have the xenon setup, and my lights act in the following way:

- Parking lights (position 1 on light switch) -- both corona rings light up ie. angel eyes
- Low beam (position2 ) - Xenon light on outer side of headlight,
- High beam (push on BC stalk foward) - Inner H7 bulp + Xenon with shutter activation.

So, what I would like to have is an automatic light shutdown when the lights (parking lights) are left on.

Still looking, but I think I will porbably have to upgrade to FRM2 for the welcome light features
Appreciate 0