E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > went to dealer for sqeeky brakes!!

02-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

went to dealer for sqeeky brakes!!

Hey guys i went to the near by dealership in san diego. and dropped the car off my brakes were sqeeaking so bad while driving.. i told the SA what exactly is wrong with my car. He said we will take care of it. leave it the whole day and get a call and he said we cant fix them because the cars brakes maintainence light wasnt on.. i was soo pissed.. told him im not coming back there and now took my car to another dealer which i should have went to in the first place.. so dont fall in the trap of listenening to them go to a different dealer and your problem should be solved! Has it happened to any members here?

**Problem solved i went to a different dealer and got the rear brakes replaced because of the sensor. so the point of this post was dont let the dealer bs you. go to a different one or go talk to the SA mananger. thanks for everyones help on the matter!***
brake system- customer reports brakes make squealing noise while driving rear brake sensor causing sqeel. Rear brake pads at 6MM and on sensor. SI B 34 08 08
Replacled rear brake pads and sensor per SI B 38 08 08
Min spec 20.4 L/R 21.3 R/R 21.3

Job 1 fp number 34.21.6.775.678 repair kit, brake p WARRANTY
Job 1 fp number 34.35.6.762.253 brake pad wear sens WARRANTY

i typed out exactly what it said under labor and parts hopefully it will help everyone!

Last edited by E92murdered; 02-27-2009 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
ultimate
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

oh man. are you out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
13N55135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Yea mine were squeaking really bad so i called up and since it was due for service to replace the filter for the aircon i told them and they said they would take care of it, but when i left the dealer they were still squeaking and they said that they did everything they could which is probably a load of b/s.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

no im not but the SA was bsing saying its not covered underwarranty because the brakes maintainence light was on .. gave him my 2 cents and left.. ooh i also had to pay 30 bucks for a rental car because they were out of loaners..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
oh man. are you out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

load of bs my cousin had the same problem, they made him get an alignment and wheel balance which was paid out of pocket. same thing. so did you go to a different dealer and get it fixed? my car is at the other dealer now the SA there knew what i was talking about so it should be good hopefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-328i-E90 View Post
Yea mine were squeaking really bad so i called up and since it was due for service to replace the filter for the aircon i told them and they said they would take care of it, but when i left the dealer they were still squeaking and they said that they did everything they could which is probably a load of b/s.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
13N55135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Nah not yet i have not had them time but i called other dealers and they said that in the winter that the metal fibers in the brakes tend to be the cause of the squeaking so if it does not go away in the spring/summer ill get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
BMW brakes squeak alot. It sucks, but is true. Last time I took mine in they claim to have replaced the brake pads. Doubt it. Anyways, which dealerships were these?
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

do your breaks squeak while you drive at really low speeds or only while you brake?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ive been reading and i heard its a sensor that touches the brake there are a bunch of threads on this matter. and you need to make sure they fix it its under warranty. IN san diego cunningham was the bad one never going there again. i took in to kearny san diego bmw now hopefully they do there work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
BMW brakes squeak alot. It sucks, but is true. Last time I took mine in they claim to have replaced the brake pads. Doubt it. Anyways, which dealerships were these?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hmm speeds up to 20 so low up to 20mph. and sometimes when i brake. did you have the same problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
do your breaks squeak while you drive at really low speeds or only while you brake?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yah dont let them bs you. go to a different dealer.. ive read alot about this and its supposibly over a sensor hitting the brake..
Quote:
Nah not yet i have not had them time but i called other dealers and they said that in the winter that the metal fibers in the brakes tend to be the cause of the squeaking so if it does not go away in the spring/summer ill get it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ill definetly let you guys know tommorow and the new dealership to see what they do and what they replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
SI B 34 08 08
Brakes October 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B34 08 08 dated October 2008.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Brake Squeal from Pad Wear Sensor

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)

SITUATION
Depending on the driving conditions, the occasional brake squeak and/or squeal is normal. The condition listed in this bulletin occurs during all light to moderate brake applications and is caused by contact between the brake pad wear sensor and the brake rotor/disc. This situation can occur on the front or rear axle brakes.

CAUSE
The geometry of the brake wear sensor, combined with individual driving habits, can result in a particular wear pattern which causes a squeaking and/or squealing noise whenever the brakes are applied with light to moderate force.

CORRECTION
In the case of a customer complaint, road test the vehicle to determine the source of the noise. If the noise is coming from the brake system, inspect the brake pad wear sensor of the affected axle. If the sensor is in contact with the rotor/disc, remove the sensor and drive the vehicle.

If the noise is not eliminated, further diagnosis is required to determine the cause of the noise.

If the noise is eliminated, replace the brake pads and wear sensor of the affected axle.

Measure and record the thickness of each of the brake pads which will be replaced. Refer to the Warranty section of this bulletin for important information regarding the correct usage of warranty defect codes based on brake pad thickness.

Refer to the appropriate Repair Instructions:

RA 34 11 000 "Removing and installing/replacing brake linings on both front disc brakes"

RA 34 21 200 "Removing and installing/replacing brake linings on both rear brake discs"

Whenever the brake pads are replaced, the CBS data must be reset accordingly.

PARTS INFORMATION
For the part numbers of brake components, please refer to EPC/ETK. Only replace parts on the affected axle as listed under CORRECTION in this bulletin.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the BMW Maintenance Program.

Please refer to the following defect codes listed below, based on remaining brake pad thickness, to ensure proper coding of the claim.

Claims which are submitted using incorrect coding information will be subject to either a refusal or debit.

Brake pad thickness which measures between 7.5 mm and 3.8 mm should be claimed using the defect code below for the brake pad wear sensor noise .

Defect Code:
34 11 04 39 00
Front brake pad wear sensor unpleasant noises

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

Defect Code:
34 21 19 39 00
Rear brake pad wear sensor unpleasant noises

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

Brake pad thickness which measures 3.7 mm or less must be claimed using the following applicable BMW Maintenance Program defect code.

Defect Code:
34 11 00 77 MP
Replacing brake pads, front

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

Defect Code:
34 21 00 77 MP
Replacing brake pads, rear

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

Brake pad thickness which measures greater than 7.5 mm will not have a brake pad wear sensor that contacts the brake disc.

If these vehicles have a brake noise complaint, further diagnosis is required to determine the root cause. If diagnosis determines that all the brake components are performing adequately, but the vehicle still exhibits a brake noise which is constant (not intermittent) and reproducible, then the appropriate defect codes to use are listed below.

Defect Code:
34 00 01 39 00
Front axle brakes squeaking

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

Defect Code:
34 00 11 39 00
Rear axle brakes squeaking

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

Refer to KSD

If the brake discs require replacement (as outlined to the Repair Manual Instructions), claim with the repair defect codes listed here for applicable warranty repairs or the appropriate BMW Maintenance Program defect code.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340808g.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thank you scott! so overall it says it is covereed under warranty? if they dont decide to do the work should i print this out and give it to the SA? and is this info straight from bmw?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwowner619 View Post
thank you scott! so overall it says it is covereed under warranty? if they dont decide to do the work should i print this out and give it to the SA? and is this info straight from bmw?
Click the link and print out that BMW formatted version. Tell them you think this might apply to your situation. They could always say that they don't hear anything when they test drive it, but atleast you will have BMW documentation of the problem and that if they follow procedure they should be re-imbursed by BMW for performing the warranty work. You would think dealers would want the warranty work in this economy especially when sales of BMW's are appoaching a 50% decline.

FYI - I have the same problem but a good service department is 2 hours round trip, so I am just dealing with it for now. Will eventually take it in with the TSB (technical service bulletin) in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #16
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks for your help. well i hope this other dealer takes care of it tommorw. the SA knew exactly what i was talking about. So when i get the call tomorw ill either know to print this out or not. i know i was wondering what is wrong with them. i told them im never coming back here and you would have thought ok well take care of it but thats how it is i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Click the link and print out that BMW formatted version. Tell them you think this might apply to your situation. They could always say that they don't hear anything when they test drive it, but atleast you will have BMW documentation of the problem and that if they follow procedure they should be re-imbursed by BMW for performing the warranty work. You would think dealers would want the warranty work in this economy especially when sales of BMW's are appoaching a 50% decline.

FYI - I have the same problem but a good service department is 2 hours round trip, so I am just dealing with it for now. Will eventually take it in with the TSB (technical service bulletin) in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

did you show the dealer near by you the print out? if so what did they say? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

yea i did. i was going to offer to send you the paperwork but i guess someone already posted the tsb. it's a warranty fix and if the dealer isn't fixing it they are basically violating the contract you have with bmw.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #19
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

great. so practilly they have to fix it. if this dealer denies me i will print it out and give it to them. when you showed them did they said "oh" and fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
yea i did. i was going to offer to send you the paperwork but i guess someone already posted the tsb. it's a warranty fix and if the dealer isn't fixing it they are basically violating the contract you have with bmw.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

It's definitely covered under warranty. I've taken my car in 2 times for this problem. My SA already knew what it was since the issue is not uncommon for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #21
E92murdered
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

k great ! i was so dissapointed at the first dealer when he said he wasnt was so pissed because i knew it was. I just hope this dealer fix
s it, i told them my car sqeaks when i drive low speeds. i guess ill let you guys know what happens tommorw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
It's definitely covered under warranty. I've taken my car in 2 times for this problem. My SA already knew what it was since the issue is not uncommon for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
jimmy335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335 Coupe

Garage List
2007 335 Coupe  [0.00]
also, do a search. Its well documented on this board (squeak from brakes at acceleration from a stop or at slow speeds. Most often duplicated when the brakes are warm)

I got a bunch of crap from a local dealer until i bitched up to the GM. Story they told me was factory rep drove it and they fixed it on the third or fourth try.

again, well documented on the boards....
Appreciate 0