E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Should I change the oil?

07-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #45
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspikesx View Post
hi all, just changed my oil at 8000 miles. i must say there is a noticeable difference in drive quality. =)

bought my oil and oil filter at mckenna bmw. took all of that to my usual mechanic and had him change it all for $13. i had him show me the oil his shop (Macstar Auto in Rowland Heights, CA) uses.

his uses Total Quartz 5w30 that is BMW LL04 approved. i was looking at the back of the bottle. might go with that the next time just for convenience.

anyone else have any experience with total? or elf?
I'm curious to know this also. There is a local BMW shop that does maint on BMW and other luxury cars that uses ELF for their BMW oil changes. I've also spoken to someone who works at a car performance shop in Phoenix who sells Total and ELF oil and claims that BMW engines will run better with these oils. These are LL04 oils, but from the posts here it sounds like these were not made for US gasoline standards. Who is right?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #46
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Interesting article. And for a fact BMW uses a system similar to the one mentioned in use by MB.

http://www.oilchangecouponslist.com/...-3000-miles/5/
      07-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #47
xspikesx
Master Controller
Rep
Drives: 08.SG.e92.coupe.zsp [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post

I'm curious to know this also. There is a local BMW shop that does maint on BMW and other luxury cars that uses ELF for their BMW oil changes. I've also spoken to someone who works at a car performance shop in Phoenix who sells Total and ELF oil and claims that BMW engines will run better with these oils. These are LL04 oils, but from the posts here it sounds like these were not made for US gasoline standards. Who is right?
well according to my mechanic LL-04 is definitely much better than 01 and does not only apply to diesel engines, but our engines as well. i was doing trying to do some research on total quartz and found this:

total quartz

5w-30 for bmw and mb specific

08.SG.e92.coupe.zsp (sold)
Appreciate 0