E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Intake Development - Interest?

02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

Intake Development - Interest?

Hello,

I'm thinking about developing an intake setup for our 335D. I wanted to poll the forum to see how many people would be interested. If there is interest, I will look into it. I will not be trying to get rich off the intakes, I just want enough to cover development costs + shipping from Asia + small profit to make it worth my time.

As we all know we probably can't run a CAI because of space limitations behind the bumper. However, i will look into the option for you guys. It will most likely be a box setup like one of the forum members on here fabbed up.

The reasons I want to develop this intake at a low cost:

I want one for myself!

I want to give the community a reasonable priced intake option for the 335D. Paying $500+ for an air filter and box is completely unreasonable.

How many of you would be interested? Please state how much you are willing to pay. Please be reasonable with the price point because this will be a one time run at a low number. Typical with manufacturing the more we can make equates to lower cost. This will be a low run because our community is very small.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

I will also try to use a non-oil required cone air filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Diesel Pimpin'
I heart D-TUK
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

But it's not oem!?! Lol. If you get a good looking prototype to show, I'll be a test subject. Depending on finished product I would be willing to do $350
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I'd be interested but how would we know that it actually does what it's supposed to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
I'd be interested but how would we know that it actually does what it's supposed to do?
If your asking about data to analyze the performance of the intake, that can be done after a prototype is developed. But, for right now I'm gauging interest to see if there is even a demand for it and how much you guys are reasonably willing to pay for such an option.

I will do the following dynos if this goes into development.

Dyno completely stock prior to intake install.

Dyno with just the intake.

Dyno with the intake + DTUK piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I'd be interested at around $300-$350. I'm cool with whatever price the board members and yourself decide is fair. How long before you expect a prototype to be done as soon as you have an adequate amount of interest?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'd be interested at around $300-$350. I'm cool with whatever price the board members and yourself decide is fair. How long before you expect a prototype to be done as soon as you have an adequate amount of interest?
There is a couple of different points that need to be covered before I can move forward.

1) Establish enough interest from the community.

2) Figure out how much the community is willing to pay.

3) Develop a prototype.

4) R&D prototype. If the data is good coupled with good power gains then I will move to step 5.

5) From the price of development I can see if I can meet the price point the community is comfortable with paying.

6) Get the intakes made.

7) Hopefully sell it to you and the community.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Im in EVO count on me on this $300 is the max i beleive it should not be any HIGHER than that. I have used the AMSOIL Cone Filter which is NOT greased!! and trust me you can here the rumble of the engine but the problem is our engines are sealed and so cooler air can get in but trust me with the RENNtech flash the car ran way better than OEM intake hardly NO lag. Rotor has pics send him a PM so he can fwd it to you ok
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
Hello,

I'm thinking about developing an intake setup for our 335D. I wanted to poll the forum to see how many people would be interested. If there is interest, I will look into it. I will not be trying to get rich off the intakes, I just want enough to cover development costs + shipping from Asia + small profit to make it worth my time.

As we all know we probably can't run a CAI because of space limitations behind the bumper. However, i will look into the option for you guys. It will most likely be a box setup like one of the forum members on here fabbed up.
The reasons I want to develop this intake at a low cost:

I want one for myself!

I want to give the community a reasonable priced intake option for the 335D. Paying $500+ for an air filter and box is completely unreasonable.

How many of you would be interested? Please state how much you are willing to pay. Please be reasonable with the price point because this will be a one time run at a low number. Typical with manufacturing the more we can make equates to lower cost. This will be a low run because our community is very small.
What limitations do you speak of behind the bumper? We have the same bumper and very similar IC set-up as the 335i. 335i owners have managed to route tubing down to the brake duct or in a similar spot (see Mr 5 intake). That said, I think it is a little tighter in our engine bays. I have been considering attempting a similar set-up as the Mr 5 intake, but I just have not found the time.

If it's not a CAI I am not interested, since other than sound there is likely to be no other benefit.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Chris I had the same idea of using the brake duct but wouldnt this affect the brake and the dust but it CAN be done i will try to go to MECH Tec College and offer my car for this set up
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Chris I had the same idea of using the brake duct but wouldnt this affect the brake and the dust but it CAN be done i will try to go to MECH Tec College and offer my car for this set up
Axel, the brake duct is before the brakes just behind the front bumper. It is designed to route cool outside air to the front brakes.

Some 335i owners have tapped into the brake duct so that the intake can suck up that fresh cool outside air. Others have placed the end of the snorkle at the bottom of the engine bay just behind the grill or removed the fog lights and put the end of the snorkle in the fog light cavity.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

there has to be a better way than taking out the fog light
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
there has to be a better way than taking out the fog light
Yes, opening up a hole in the brake duct and attaching the snorkle to it - assuming there is a path to do so.

Alternatively any location down low and behind the font bumper has to be better than up top - I mean heat rises so the temp difference between the current location to a spot down closer the road and behind the grill has to be dramatic esp at speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

let me see if i an get MECHTEC to do something
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
corbin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d 2010 & x5d 2012

Dl evo,

I'm glad your taking the time to find and supply new products for our cars. I'd pay 300 for an intake that you tested with results posted. Again, thanks for doing the leg work.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
Dl evo,

I'm glad your taking the time to find and supply new products for our cars. I'd pay 300 for an intake that you tested with results posted. Again, thanks for doing the leg work.
Corbin,

No problem, I'm just trying to benefit our community anyway I can.

I got in touch with a fabricator and we are going to get together to see what we can do. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm hoping we can do a cold air intake type of setup, however, I know that a couple of guys have tried this approach and there isn't a lot of space to work with.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Great EVO let us know ok
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
dL_EVO
Private
Rep

Just for future reference, what do I need to data log and graph IAT? I would like to do stock, stock with dtuk, intake without dtuk, and intake with dtuk.
Appreciate 0