E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What actually happens with signal jammers?

10-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

What actually happens with signal jammers?

Morning all

I'm hoping that this is just me being paranoid but this morning after getting out of the car, locking it and walking for about 15 seconds or so, something in me thought I should go back and check that the doors were actually locked.

When I went back to the car, the Angels were on and I saw that the car was open.

I did a test and the angels only go on when you open the car.

I'm 99.9% sure that I had locked the car in the first place. Usually I check that the doors are locked as well but unfortunately didn't this morning.

So my question is, what happens when these ba5tards jam the signal when you go to lock your car? Does it allow the car to be locked and then opens the car causing the angels to go on as if you're unlocking or does it not allow the car to be locked at all in the first place?

I'm sure that there's no way I could have locked the car and then unlocked without me knowing so am concerned.

Anyways, I stood near the car for 15 minutes giving dirty looks to every car driving past!

Port is not in its usual place and I have a steering lock but just concerned.

Hoping it is just paranoia.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Probably the s##t key design where the light touch 'open' button gets pressed as soon as you put the key in your pocket, or hold say a phone and wallet in the same hand as the key.

I've lost count of how many time I've been walking away from the locked car, put the keys in my pocket and heard 'clunk' as the car unlocks.

At least if this happens and you don't notice, if no one opens a door, the car will re-lock it self in 30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
The jammers are just that. They jam the signal.

All they can do is prevent you from locking your car hence you walk away leaving it wide open.

It used to be a case that Taxi radios could jam this sort of signal (not sure if this is still the case).

As a result, i ALWAYS look for the indicator lights flashing to show the signal has been received and the car is actually locked.

There is other kit out there that in theory can intercept the signal from the key and clone it but as these keys have a rolling code, unless you have a handful of activations captured, are of little use.

Somebody would really have to be following you for some time for this approach to work. They could then use this to open the car.

But it simply isn't possible (unless there is an unpublished flaw out there) to just capture the signal from a key and then immediately use it to unlock your car as soon as you walk round the corner.
      10-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Probably the s##t key design where the light touch 'open' button gets pressed as soon as you put the key in your pocket, or hold say a phone and wallet in the same hand as the key.

I've lost count of how many time I've been walking away from the locked car, put the keys in my pocket and heard 'clunk' as the car unlocks.

At least if this happens and you don't notice, if no one opens a door, the car will re-lock it self in 30 seconds.
Had this happen to me, I only noticed the next morning when I went to get in my car for work, unlocked and ALL the windows where down !!!

GULP

Luckily I live in a quiet area.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Sort of reminds me of a few years back in a 99 Mondeo I had. I went up to the car to unlock it and when I pressed the button, both my car and the Fiesta next to it opened. I was surprised to say the least, tried to lock them both again, but only mine locked. This was in a car park miles away from any buildings or anything so I know I was the only person in range. I guess that it was just the one in 15 million chance or whatever it is that the codes that my car and the other one had rolled onto were the same, once the fiesta had rolled onto another one though, I couldn't do anything.

In that instance I did the right thing and opened the door of the other car and locked it manually, but it was still weird. Never had it happen again and I tried for weeks after that every time I saw a Ford of a similar age!!
      10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
SA320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Was so paranoid this morning.. Literally that gut wrenching feeling thinking I'm being targeted! Nevertheless, more vigilant than I was was before - can only be a good thing!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

I've got the auto relock setting turned off on mine but I may reconsider it for this very reason. Just wasnt keen on locking myself out of the car in a rush moment.
Appreciate 0