E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > AE Performance /// GIAC Stage 1 N54 ECU Flash now AVAILABLE!

Closed Thread

08-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

AE Performance /// GIAC Stage 1 N54 ECU Flash now AVAILABLE!

Hey Guys,

We finally have all the info everyone has been waiting for. My 335 is the first car aside from GIAC's own 335 to be running their ECU Flash. To start things off, I'm going to do a small recap of the past threads by pasting info for informational purposes-

Backstory
GIAC has nearly 20 years of experience tuning many different cars ranging from VW, Audi, BMW and Mini to Porsche and Bentley. Their tuning boasts not only impressive gains but excellent driveability and smoothness throughout the rev-range.

Here at AE, we happily run their software in every applicable car including our Time Attack competing Porsche 996 GT2 which makes ~620hp on race gas.

Many of you are probably aware at this point that GIAC has been working away at the N54 tune on their own 335 for some time now and we have aided them in the past several months with numerous ECU readouts any by doing anything we can.

We are also proud to say that Andy @ GIAC's personal 335 that is the canvas upon which they have created their latest tune is running our AE Dual exhaust system!

POWER!

First and foremost, the only modifications on this vehicle are a dual cone intake and our own AE Quad exhaust system. No FMIC. No Downpipes. Nothing else. With the GIAC Stage 1 N54 Flash we were able to put down some amazing runs and still keep stock like driveability!

On the GIAC Load Bearing Mustang 336whp and 327wtq with the GIAC Stage 1 Flash over stock. As you can see the power is very smooth and linear with an incredible gain of power over stock with only the mods listed. The data logs for the car show that the throttle is 100% open the entire time which not even the stock BMW software manages to do due to torque limiting.

We realize that the majority of dyno tests on this forum and in general are performanced on the Dynojet, and as such, I decided to head straight to MD Automotive to use their dynojet. This particular Dynojet has been host to several 335 dyno days and has had numbers posted on the forum (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274864). I did several pulls with GIAC's Stage 1 Flash, and then flashed it back to stock and did several more. The numbers were very consistent.

On the MD Automotive Dynojet my car made 315whp and 320-322wtq, and then made 375-379whp and 375-379wtq using the STD Correction Factor as was used in the dyno day thread. Conditions of the day as listed on the dynograph were high 80s for our initial runs with the GIAC Flash, but it still produced an incredible amount of power. (Keep in mind this car only has exhaust and intake, no downpipes or FMIC upgrade).

The reason for the slight wavyness at the end of the dynojet run is due to the dynojet not being a load bearing dyno which the car wasn't too happy with. It was an anomaly that we couldnt reproduce on the street or mustang dyno in logs or plots as noted on the Mustang plots above.

As you can see the boost remained consistent at no more than 13.7psi for these runs. The runs on the mustang are smooth as can be showing no wavyness whatsoever which is important because the Mustang simulates the load you would see on the street which equates to a more accurate representation of the power you'll actually see on the street.

Impressions + Review

First impressions of the tune blew my mind. The car drives like stock as far as smoothness goes from light to heavy throttle. Power ramps up quickly as WOT is applied and continues to pull extremely hard to redline. There are absolutely no flat spots or any hiccups in the rev-range.

The power that the car produces throughout the power band is seemingly endless and linear. Not once have I experienced any twitchy-ness from it at all.

Tune Details

The GIAC Stage 1 Flash for the N54 will be available as an OBDII port flash, or also for those who are not in the area, you may also ship your ECU to us and we can flash it using a Bench harness in the same process as many other ECU's are done. It is a quick process either way and you should be on your way in well under an hour in most cases with absolutely no need to open up your ECU compartment or fiddle with any expensive electronics.

Many of you have asked about what the flash will include and what sort of features it'll provide.

Aside from making tons of linear power and excellent driveability, GIAC will also be offering handheld switching using their handheld flashloader. Among these options will be a stock file, and a race file for 100+ Octane fuel. These options will NOT be available immediately upon release.

This handheld unit does NOT reflash your car at your house, but rather is a switcher for programs that are already pre-installed into your car. The unit plugs into the OBDII port and takes only a few seconds to switch between files.

You can view how this works here-

(Video shows a VW on GIAC's Dyno, however, it is the same operation for every car they tune (Audi, Porsche, VW, Bentley, BMW, Mini)

*Top speed governor has been removed.

*The flash is diagnostically invisible. All checksums add up and the flashcounter is reset so that it is not detectable. The flash does not leave behind any hard codes or ghost codes that could potentially lead to detection either.

*This is the Stage 1 file. The Stage 2 and Stage 2+ files will be coming soon respectively but will require more supporting mods which are an upgraded FMIC and downpipes since the power levels we achieved were limited by the stock FMIC mainly.

*Pricing will be released on the day the flash is released to the public.

*AE will be flashing this new software IMMEDIATELY upon its official release from GIAC.

Last but not least, your newest E90Post advertiser is GIAC and they will be around to answer questions and provide support to anyone who has direct questions for them, or anything at all.

Please direct any further questions on this to my email @ nick@aeperformance.com

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Nick

EDIT: ADDED INFO-

Here are a couple of graphs showing more of a break down of power numbers from the dynojet to clarify the oscillation we experienced on the dynojet, but didn't on the mustang.

These graphs show the peak numbers if we were to not count the oscillated part of the graph at all which still equates to ~70whp at the sampled part of the run. I will be amending this post into the original post as well to keep all the info consolidated-

The car is definitely making some very serious gains and remember- this is only Stage 1.

Pricing:$800

We are available immediately to flash the 135/335/535 at our location and will be offering bench flashing very shortly for those who would need to ship their ECU to us for tuning.

Please give us a call @ 800-616-2596 or 714-241-0298 to set up an appointment or get more info.

More information and discussion can be found here- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285495

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Are there any GIAC Flash tuners around South East Asia?

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Can't wait for independent results vs JB3 and latest Vishnu/Procede. Also, for $800, does it come with the switcher?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocust View Post
Can't wait for independent results vs JB3 and latest Vishnu/Procede. Also, for $800, does it come with the switcher?
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

$800 installed? What's the cost to reflash the CPU if dealer overwrites it with newer BMW software?
      08-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

When I had my VW and Audi, my GIAC dealer used to charge me labor for any reflashes or update flashes. I think it's really up to the dealer rather than GIAC.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptaylor View Post
When I had my VW and Audi, my GIAC dealer used to charge me labor for any reflashes or update flashes. I think it's really up to the dealer rather than GIAC.
Seeing you're in PHX - where have you had it done for your VW and Audi?
      08-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7

Any place in Vegas to get this done? I don't think my GIAC dealer that dealt with my VW is still in business.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

And when is the switcher going to become available? I wouldn't consider this tune invisibile IMO if one is expected to ship the ECU to them to reflash it or visit their local dealer each time... That's a PITA, to put it lightly... All that encryption technology isn't worth a lot to the end user if you can't switch to stock...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
Any place in Vegas to get this done? I don't think my GIAC dealer that dealt with my VW is still in business.
Check out GIAC's Website for local dealers in your area.
      08-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Kidracer View Post
Are there any GIAC Flash tuners around South East Asia?
Check out GIAC's dealer map @ www.giacusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklocust View Post
There will definitely be a lot of testing done. For $800 it does not come with the switcher, that has yet to be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
$800 installed? What's the cost to reflash the CPU if dealer overwrites it with newer BMW software?
The cost if that happens is only labor for flashing it back. You don't have to buy the software again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptaylor View Post
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
And when is the switcher going to become available? I wouldn't consider this tune invisibile IMO if one is expected to ship the ECU to them to reflash it or visit their local dealer each time... That's a PITA, to put it lightly... All that encryption technology isn't worth a lot to the end user if you can't switch to stock...

Replied to all of this in the other thread--- (Answers in Bold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
1 - Nick, my only comment to that is that code reading and clearing is not related to the tune throwing the codes always. My car had a check engine light come on in fact, and boy was I happy to have been able to read it using the Procede and then find out it was fuel pump related.

True... however, a cheap $30 handheld scan-tool can also read simple codes like that. A BT tool is not required, but advised for any modded car just as we recommend VAG-COM to Audi / VW owners. The cheap little scantools pick up fuel pump codes as well. I've personally used one to pull P3090 which is a fuel pump failure code. My point is that it depends how serious you want to get with it. An inexpensive handheld code reader/clearer will suffice, but a real scantool should be part of any heavily modded car owners toolbox as well.

I can see your point though that one can get around that by buying a BT tool, though it adds a few hundred $ to the package. It would have been nice if your switcher somehow allowed for it or one could get the codes to appear in the dash...

2 - Speaking of the switcher... sorry if I've missed it, but is there an ETA on when it will become available? For anyone who wants diagnostic invisibility, I can't imagine why they'd buy the tune without having the switch available? To me they go hand in hand.

I believe I answered this question of yours further up in my post

3 - And last question, what about the tune itself? It's not officially public now, and available at all your dealers, is it?

It wasn't at the time of your post, but it is available immediately for $795.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
Time to sell the procede. Ive been wanting a good flash lately.
Awesome!! You definitely will not be disappointed. I love mine! Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help.

Nick

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

I might try this out, any eta on the handheld obd2 device? I dont want to drive 2+ hours to get flashed back to stock, I'm only up for one round trip

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
I might try this out, any eta on the handheld obd2 device? I dont want to drive 2+ hours to get flashed back to stock, I'm only up for one round trip
No ETA just yet, but it will be coming soon. They are working diligently to get everything ready ASAP.

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
KCSchoey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435i

Sweet. Might have to give this a shot. The GIAC dealer in KC is only a couple blocks away!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

lpphreak- why 2 hour drive? There's a shop in Kirkland that said they'll have the flash. Cantrell Motorsports is the name of the place.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep

Really? I couldnt find them on the dealer list.
Oh man I'm going to have to call them!

|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So can I get this done at any GIAC dealer?

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
So can I get this done at any GIAC dealer?
I would call GIAC just to be the dealer has the right equipment

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

lpphreak- let me know where you get it done and how it goes. I'm hoping to get in done in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
I would call GIAC just to be the dealer has the right equipment
Exactly. Also, we'll be able to bench flash ECUs here pretty soon for those who would like to ship their ECUs to us for flashing.

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSchoey View Post
Sweet. Might have to give this a shot. The GIAC dealer in KC is only a couple blocks away!
Drive over and let us know if they (Bob Hindson) are up and running. No response for several days via email...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I used to have a GIAC software on my 'ol Passat 1.8t. Impressive power and product.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread