E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Axle Stand placement!

04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Axle Stand placement!

Hi guys,

This might be a stupid question but where is the correct position for axle stands (front & rear)?

I've got the halfords trolley jack & a block I don't crush those bits! Tomorrow I'm painting the hubs & putting on the 313 alloys !

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
Hi guys,

This might be a stupid question but where is the correct position for axle stands (front & rear)?

I've got the halfords trolley jack & a block I don't crush those bits! Tomorrow I'm painting the hubs & putting on the 313 alloys !

Cheers
The trick is to lift on the front jack pad under the engine or on the diff case or cross member at the rear. Just make sure you don't lift on the lip of the diff case. This allows you space to place the axle stands at the normal jacking points at either side. I wouldn't lift on any other place.

See posts #51 & #52.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=47468&page=3

A standard Halfords jack may not be the best tool for this and may struggle to lift the car high enough. You would definitely need to raise the car a bit off the ground to get the jack under either point. Driving up on some planks of wood may give you the clearance, but both points are a fair bit in from the front/rear.

I got a set of Race ramps with detachable lower sections that gives me plenty of clearance to get a 22kg trolley jack with a long handle under the car. I use a set of jack adapters for the axle stands, but some solid wood pieced may do.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...48&postcount=3
      04-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Many thanks for the info!

I think I'll just take it easy & do one wheel at a time! I'll leave the car up on the trolley but strategically place the stands somewhere, should the trolley give way!

2 day job me thinks!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

For quick jobs like that where you're not really under the car, Its more secure to use a scissor jack as they can't collapse or come down on their own with hydraulic leaks. Make sure you chock the diagonally opposite wheel too.
Appreciate 0