E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > New member intro- your thoughts please :)

08-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Smile New member intro- your thoughts please :)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd quickly introduce myself as a new member. I've been lurking around 1addicts and just realised that the login also carries across to E90post! Definitely a noob!

Anyway, I've just managed to sell my Audi TT and now, with money in the bank, I'm in the market for a 335. I've been trying to catch up on a lot of reading. As some might know, I initially considered a 135i a few months ago but having just driven my mates' 335 today, it seems to be a much more complete package cf to the 135. Don't get me wrong- I think the 135 is a great car in its own right- I just thought I'd try to see if I could find a reasonable 335 in my budget- if not, I'd revert back to looking at 135s.

My budget is in the low 60Ks, preferably below 60K. I'm trying to source a low mileage car with the updated nav shortcut buttons.

I've come across two I'm happy with (in terms of colour/trim/options).

Car number one is this:

Sparkling graphite M-Sport 335i Carsales link
It's got relatively high kays for an 08 but it's a good price. The seller hasn't listed it but I can spot radar cruise control & climate comfort front screen on top of the M-Sport kit, heated pews and sunroof. The main advantage is that it's in Sydney and I can have a look. The concern is the kms racking up means the more 'expensive' services are creeping up (eg. timing belts etc) compared to a lower mileage car.

The second car is this:

Titanium Silver, non M-Sport Carsales link

This one has low km and looks like it's in superb condition. The ad also states it's still under warranty (I didn't know you could buy 3 year of BMW warranty on top- I thought one year was the most). Looks like it's got 19s (which I assume has lowered suspension as a mandatory co-option) and comfort access plus ipod adapter. It's slightly more expensive at $63K. Looking at the photos, i'm not sure what the thing in the boot is on the left side. Things like pro nav, adaptive lights, bluetooth are standard kit I would assume. My major worry is that this car is interstate, and that I can't personally afford the time or money to fly up just to look at it and drive it. I'd need to get an inspection and check for flood damage being a QLD car (any members wanna help a new brother out? )

Anyway, I'll be sending enquiries shortly to the advertisers. What are your opinions on these two cars? I'd like to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

Thanks for reading! Hopefully will be able to contribute more as I learn more,

I haven't even bought one yet, but I can imagine what I'd do to the above two cars- the graphite one needs a set of 19s (VMR 710s comes to mind) and the silver one needs a new steering wheel (M-sport or M3) plus an aero front lip (plus possibly new wheels - gunmetal V710s? LM reps? hehe)

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

First car looks like good value! 59,000kms isn't that much, it should probably have had 3 services by now.. timing belts aren't until 100k?

Second car has the low ks... but it's an 07. Some slight differences between 07 and 08, but neither have the updated nav...

As for mods, good on you ... Will point you in the right direction when the time comes for good stuff at good prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Oh and 335 is definitely better than 135i if you can afford it... I bought the 135i just to get myself into an N54, I've grown to like it and probably couldn't be bothered swapping to a 335i now but if the budget allows, a 335i is def better.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for your input mate. I guess I'm a bit wary of the extra kays as I've never bought a preowned car and to me, the lower the kms, the closer to it being a 'newer' car.

I was probably a bit incorrect describing 'shortcut' buttons as I seem to imply the MY09 nav with the new interface/and shortcut buttons around the knob. I meant the 1-8 'preset' buttons between the DVD drives.

What other changes are there you're aware of? (Dang, I wish I kept my E92 brochure from 2007 and 2008!).

I'll definitely be searching for mod advice soon! I initially thought against getting performance grilles unless I had shadowline, but seeing your car with them despite having chrome/silver line, it doesn't look too mismatching.

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
.dee
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, GT3 RS, Bentayga, 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post

Thanks for reading! Hopefully will be able to contribute more as I learn more,

Contact Name bill
Suburb Revesby

also the numberplate is out of sync with those issued in 08, the car is likely an auction vehicle, may not be a deal breaker for you BUT check for proper servicing, damage repair and revs...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I noticed the plates too- they'd be recent issue. I guess perhaps Bill had personalised plates and ordered some premium plates as a replacement prior to sale? I did the same for my TT.

Not sure about your point with the quote about his name and suburb?

I tried calling the number listed earlier in the evening but it said there was no reception

BTW, impressive stable of cars .dee
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

M-Sport all the way, just remember they are set 15mm lower and the standard is already low imho

Only prob i see is its an auto, DCT FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Not sure about your point with the quote about his name and suburb?
Dodgy suburb, generic name... it wouldn't put me off but I'd definitely be wary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
M-Sport all the way, just remember they are set 15mm lower and the standard is already low imho

Only prob i see is its an auto, DCT FTW
Sure with a lowered car you have to take some care when approaching slightly steeper driveways but with a bit of care and thought you can manage very easily.

DCT would probs be out of OP's price range unfortunately...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Dodgy suburb, generic name... it wouldn't put me off but I'd definitely be wary.

Sure with a lowered car you have to take some care when approaching slightly steeper driveways but with a bit of care and thought you can manage very easily.

DCT would probs be out of OP's price range unfortunately...
Suburb, I was thinking it would be wise to take a cut lunch in case you get stopped at the border for a while

I have an MSport and even on a full stop and slow roll out of my front drive (which is by no means steep) I still get a slight scrape every morning. By the time I hit 50K i'll need a new front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

LOL, I figured that's what you guys were getting at but I thought I'd be a bit PC and not blurt out Revesby isn't the last suburb flush with 335s. The fact that 'bill' can't spell his name with the capital B, the spelling mistakes, lack of awareness re: his standard equipment list (I seem to know more about it than him) makes me a bit cautious- then again, he isn't even bothering to answer his phone.

Like Stu said, the cheapest DCTs are in the 80K bracket. I wouldn't mind a manual but there aren't many around. Then again, I think the 335 suits the steptronic, which isn't a bad auto box.

M-sport would be great but this is the only one in the price bracket I'm in.

Thanks for all the input

Another question for those who've got one- is the aero front lip glued on to the existing bumper or is there something you remover from the stock bumper to replace it? I'm thinking it's the former option- glued or screwed on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

The silver one looks good too esp with the 230"s and in more pristine condition but knowing how it's going to play out with adding after market accessories if is not an M-sport, maybe you are better off starting off with the M-Sport so that you're already one up on that. 59k on the clock isn't much as guys here have pointed out. Also take your time negotiating on price. A bit of a hard choice between the two really, all the best.
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 08-25-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have an MSport and even on a full stop and slow roll out of my front drive (which is by no means steep) I still get a slight scrape every morning. By the time I hit 50K i'll need a new front bumper.
If I go dead straight out of my driveway I'll scrape aswell but if I take it at a slight angle it's all good and I'm pretty confident I can navigate reasonably steep driveways without scraping by going in at an agle.

Quote:
LOL, I figured that's what you guys were getting at but I thought I'd be a bit PC and not blurt out Revesby isn't the last suburb flush with 335s. The fact that 'bill' can't spell his name with the capital B, the spelling mistakes, lack of awareness re: his standard equipment list (I seem to know more about it than him) makes me a bit cautious- then again, he isn't even bothering to answer his phone.

Like Stu said, the cheapest DCTs are in the 80K bracket. I wouldn't mind a manual but there aren't many around. Then again, I think the 335 suits the steptronic, which isn't a bad auto box.

M-sport would be great but this is the only one in the price bracket I'm in.

Thanks for all the input

Another question for those who've got one- is the aero front lip glued on to the existing bumper or is there something you remover from the stock bumper to replace it? I'm thinking it's the former option- glued or screwed on.
The car does seem a bit cheap for an Msport as well tbh... it might be a dodgy ad, there are lots of them around...

The aero lip is held on with double sided tape and there are provisions for screws as well on the underside. I had the 'replica' aero lip and I didn't even use tape or screws to hold it on, it just 'clipped' it self in and sat snug so it just sat like that and I never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
cruvon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

Make sure you run the RTA check, REVS check and the "carhistory" website has a more extensive check. Also a mechanical test is a must. As I found out recently when an innocent looking pregnant lady tried selling me a restored flood affected car that didn't have any tell tale signs but thankfully it being caught in QLD floods came up on REVS. The funny part was that it was NSW registered.
Is good to trust but still verify(think that was a quote by Ronald Reagan).
Tiag E90 | JBSPEED Spli t t ers | JBSPEED ACS style Roof Spoiler | JBSPEED M3 style Trunk spoiler | Euro plates | K&N Intake | BMW OEM Performance Exhaust | Debadged | OEM Chromeline trim |230 OEM rims | 19" Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Non runflats | OEM Burr Walnut Gear knob | OEM Blacklines | OEM Spacesaver |

Last edited by cruvon; 08-25-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
also make sure you run the RTA, REVS check and the "carhistory" website has a more extensive check. Also a mechanical test is a must. As I found out recently when an innocent looking pregnant lady tried selling me a restored flood affected car that didn't have any tell tale signs but thankfully it being caught in QLD floods came up on REVS.
Is good to trust but still verify(think that was a quote by Ronald Reagan).
Not even a dealer can be trusted as was the case on another post where a chap from VIc bought a car from a sydney dealer and it 'appeared' to have been in a substantial front ender and this was sold as a BMW premium car.

I know this might sound silly but ask to give the car a wash, then you will look all over the car and see if there are any tell tale signs of a prang etc

Assuming you are not one of the lazy fcukers who get someone else to wash the car ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

I was under the impression that The N52 or N54 engines didn't have timing belts but rather a timing chain which does not need replacement at set intervals.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92325i View Post
I was under the impression that The N52 or N54 engines didn't have timing belts but rather a timing chain which does not need replacement at set intervals.
regardless of belt of chain both will need replacing
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #17
E92325i
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
regardless of belt of chain both will need replacing
Isn't the whole purpose of having a chain to eliminate the set intervals for changing the timing belt...

I understand that a metal chain will loosen over time with km's and this can cause it to slip a tooth which can result in major damage but the timing chains in the N52 and N54 are self tensioning (to my knowledge) so they adjust for "slack" as wear increases with more km's thus they do not need to be replaced as a consumable item in contrast to a "rubber" timing belt which essentially must be replaced on a set interval of km's or time, whichever occurs first.

As an example, my 147 GTA requires a timing belt change every 60,000km OR 3 years, whichever comes first and if you ignore the time interval (in the case where the car doesn't travel many km's) there is still a very high chance that it will snap
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #18
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys, I'll be definitely be doing the necessary REVS/RACQ/NRMA/MTA checks. I initially thought about scheduling a BMW dealer to have a look at it but I've decided against it- they'd probably charge an arm and a leg and who knows how useful they'll be.

I remember reading that thread about some poor bloke in VIC who got a Premium Selection lemon from Klosters in Newcastle- I definitely wouldn't want to be in his situation.

Will keep my eye out for other cars on Carsales. A lot seem to have beige interiors Must be a monster to keep clean, though a lot have black floormats.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Beige isn't that hard to keep clean

I have a dog, we go to the beach alot

car is an 08

still looks brand new inside
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #20
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifyer View Post
Beige isn't that hard to keep clean

I have a dog, we go to the beach alot

car is an 08

still looks brand new inside
If you drove the car instead of walking the dog and swimming, it might be another issue.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #21
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I don't mind beige- it's just the beige carpets I'm not a fan of. I do like the two-tone interiors- like black/coral, black/oyster, black/lemon, black/grey.

Beige carpets in a car just don't make sense to me- I guess they're luxurious but a small bit of mud/grease will mar them forever
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

I've got lemon leather (which I love) and I wipe it down every now and then (once a fortnight usually) with a damp cloth which removes most of the dirt and makes the proper cleaning (once every few months) with shampoo + conditioner a bit easier...

Has Bill called you back yet?

I got a Stateroads inspection done on my car... didn't really confirm much about things specific to BMWs, although it's good to know that it didn't have any accident damage and the report confirms this. Eg: the report assesses aircon, alternator, brakes, tranmission shifting smoothly etc.
Appreciate 0